Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Upper body apparel question for triathlon
Quote | Reply
I am doing a couple of hot races this summer, and I would like to put on one of the de soto long sleeve cooling shirts for sun protection. I know that at least one of the races won't be wetsuit legal, so I will be in a swim skin for the swim. Can I swim in just my tri shorts and swim skin for the swim and then put on the top in t1? Or do I have to have on a short sleeve top under my swim skin?

Also, for USAT and ironman rules, are long sleeves permitted on the bike and run? After all the noise that happened at collegiate nationals, I would like to avoid getting caught up in that.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: Upper body apparel question for triathlon [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with this guy. My grandad had some long term skin cancer issues from being in the pacific in the war once he was old. I'd rather not my hobby contribute to something like that because some group arbitrarily wants you to not wear sleeves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:
I am doing a couple of hot races this summer, and I would like to put on one of the de soto long sleeve cooling shirts for sun protection. I know that at least one of the races won't be wetsuit legal, so I will be in a swim skin for the swim. Can I swim in just my tri shorts and swim skin for the swim and then put on the top in t1? Or do I have to have on a short sleeve top under my swim skin?

Also, for USAT and ironman rules, are long sleeves permitted on the bike and run? After all the noise that happened at collegiate nationals, I would like to avoid getting caught up in that.

From NON-Draft Legal races (99.9% of the races), USAT does not have restrictions on long sleeves on the bike or run. Do you think you'll be able to pull on a long sleeve when you're wet, though? ETA: The USAT sponsored (e.g. Nationals) Draft Legal races fall under ITU rules which do have restrictions for short-course races.

I can't speak for WTC races.
Last edited by: HandHeartCrown: May 16, 19 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: Upper body apparel question for triathlon [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
beachedbeluga wrote:

From NON-Draft Legal races (99.9% of the races), USAT does not have restrictions on long sleeves on the bike or run. Do you think you'll be able to pull on a long sleeve when you're wet, though? ETA: The USAT sponsored (e.g. Nationals) Draft Legal races fall under ITU rules which do have restrictions for short-course races.

I can't speak for WTC races.

Emilio addresses the issue of putting the long sleeve on wet here. If you were not using this method, the transition would be quite difficult.

Also, have you seen the Coolwings? You would need to use same method for transition, but would allow you to wear whatever you want during the swim. I will be sporting them during Eagleman this year, where it is sure to be sweltering...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually wear a short sleeve tri top and then use the Desoto cooler sleeves. Roll them up to look like a donut from the top down to the wrist, then in transition, slide your had through the hole and roll it up like a condom. Easy as pie. On hot days they are a blessing.
Quote Reply