Prev Next
Re: Sauna for Zone 2 [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude likes shortcuts even more than T3.
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna for Zone 2 [Bonmaklad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
Yes increased mitochondria density is a great subject by itself.

Cardio vascular performance I was under the impression is based on
I) how many beats your heart does
II) the amount of blood it pumps per beat
III) the power of the heart can contract

This means more blood being pumped in times of training and thus more oxygen being pumped around the body. However, during the endurance cycle it's fuel + oxygen to create ATP via the mitochondria and more of them would help!

Just to confirm VO2 max is the maximum oxygen consumption. So.. in theory we are talking the same thing. AS more mitro is more oxygen and a stronger cardio vascular performance is more oxygen

so E.G HIIT increases mitro and not cardio performance (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20473222)

SO... my theory is that medium heart rates of 65-80% would mean your body adjusts to the situation and creates higher cardio performance... which is the point of zone 2 training... which could lead to more optimised fat burning and a "fitter" heart.

I'll go research

You are looking for shortcuts where they don't exist. Just get on your bike and ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna for Zone 2 [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Dude likes shortcuts even more than T3.

OK I lol'ed. Thanks, I needed that this morning!
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna for Zone 2 [Bonmaklad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
So I am starting to understand the idea around zone 2 training to build up a fitness base.

I also remember reading about pros who relax in spa pools

Then rhonda patrick talking about sweden study and all risk motality with sauna.

So... i took my watch in sauna after my run. My heart rate was 120-130

Has anyone raised their fitness leveraging heat? Anyone seen any studies on vo2 max increases with sauna alone?

It's a good question and I don't know the answer, but it would probably vary depending upon the individual's fitness level. Just like any other muscle, if the heart is challenged, it will acclimate according to the relative magnitude of the stimulus. At one end of the continuum, a heart failure patient may experience quite a large stimulus from this; for a pro endurance athlete, much less. So I don't know the answer as it pertains to your fitness level, but I'll leave you with several mechanisms.

One obvious distinction between sauna Z2 and endurance Z2 is going to be cardiac output, despite identical heart rates. With exercise (running for example), you have a massive vasodilatory effect at the working muscle which decreases total peripheral resistance and allows for a massive increase of cardiac output. This increase of cardiac output occurs as a result of both the increase of HR and the decrease of total peripheral resistance; systolic blood pressure rises only slightly. On the other hand, the cardiac acclimations during sauna are probably more similar to those which you would experience during resistance training. Heart rate increases, but there are two main differences: 1) there is no muscle pump to return blood to the heart and 2) cutaneous vasodilation occurs in the place of muscle vasodilation. I don't know what the relative capacity of those two vascular compartments is, but I'm nearly certain that muscle is greater. Because of these two factors, total peripheral resistance remains high and cardiac output is not permitted to rise to the degree that it would during endurance exercise. And for this reason, systolic blood pressure rises substantially. You can read up on the differences between resistance training and endurance training acclimations at the heart if you're interested. They are substantially different and there's a lot of literature on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Last edited by: domingjm: May 16, 19 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna for Zone 2 [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
So I am starting to understand the idea around zone 2 training to build up a fitness base.

I also remember reading about pros who relax in spa pools

Then rhonda patrick talking about sweden study and all risk motality with sauna.

So... i took my watch in sauna after my run. My heart rate was 120-130

Has anyone raised their fitness leveraging heat? Anyone seen any studies on vo2 max increases with sauna alone?

It's a good question and I don't know the answer, but it would probably vary depending upon the individual's fitness level. Just like any other muscle, if the heart is challenged, it will acclimate according to the relative magnitude of the stimulus. At one end of the continuum, a heart failure patient may experience quite a large stimulus from this; for a pro endurance athlete, much less. So I don't know the answer as it pertains to your fitness level, but I'll leave you with several mechanisms.

One obvious distinction between sauna Z2 and endurance Z2 is going to be cardiac output, despite identical heart rates. With exercise (running for example), you have a massive vasodilatory effect at the working muscle which decreases total peripheral resistance and allows for a massive increase of cardiac output. This increase of cardiac output occurs as a result of both the increase of HR and the decrease of total peripheral resistance; systolic blood pressure rises only slightly. On the other hand, the cardiac acclimations during sauna are probably more similar to those which you would experience during resistance training. Heart rate increases, but there are two main differences: 1) there is no muscle pump to return blood to the heart and 2) cutaneous vasodilation occurs in the place of muscle vasodilation. I don't know what the relative capacity of those two vascular compartments is, but I'm nearly certain that muscle is greater. Because of these two factors, total peripheral resistance remains high and cardiac output is not permitted to rise to the degree that it would during endurance exercise. And for this reason, systolic blood pressure rises substantially. You can read up on the differences between resistance training and endurance training acclimations at the heart if you're interested. They are substantially different and there's a lot of literature on it.

This is a great delta and I agree. I do an hour a week of sauna. There seem to be limited studies to link any major benefit, more theories around blood flow causing endurance, but I dont see much data.

Ill keep it because I like it. Maybe next year ill leave out the sauna and see if my oxygen consumption increases at same pace as this year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next