Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

slamming and "low"-ness
Quote | Reply
sup folks,

i'm a roadie here. recently did tour of the gila UCI and it was my first time riding the team's sponsor TT bike. without a ton of time beforehand to properly dial-in the fit, the thing must have been several inches inches lower in the front than my personal TT bike (a BMC TM02 where I have about 20mm of spacers + 35mm of pedestal on a zipp vuka stealth base bar). however, despite being much higher on my personal TT bike, i know i am way faster since I can turtle my head more and put out more watts. the DS suggested that i should try and focus on improving my body to the team bike's position whereas i've been under the impression that one should fit the bike to the body. basically, he wants me to try and get as low as possible.

is being low the end-all-be-all? i feel like on the team bike my front end is so low that i have to crane my neck up to see at all and my head sticks up like a giraffe thus negating any potential benefit. does anyone have any input on whether "gettin' low" is actually all that good?

i've attached a picture of myself from TOG where quite frankly i had a terrible TT (prolly partly due to my janky fit on a TT bike that i only rode the day before) for y'all to make fun of. normally i'm a pretty decent TT'er but i totally shanked that one lolz.

https://imgur.com/a/CwIq7p3
Quote Reply
Re: slamming and "low"-ness [johnj121591] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, being low isn't the goal. It usually isn't optimal for aero or power.

What bike is that? Is it impossible to raise the stack any farther?

It would be beneficial if you could show your position on your old bike vs this one, from angles where important parameters can be seen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would they not change the fit to match your current TT bike (assuming it's a legal position)?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: slamming and "low"-ness [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
No, being low isn't the goal. It usually isn't optimal for aero or power.

What bike is that? Is it impossible to raise the stack any farther?

It would be beneficial if you could show your position on your old bike vs this one, from angles where important parameters can be seen.

here is a side picture of my personal setup

https://m.imgur.com/qGFpoTT

as you can see I'm not particularly low but if results are any indication, it has been more successful for me than the team bike. FWIW, the team bike is a Java Scia TT. unfortunately the only way to raise the front end is through pedestaling the heck outta the armrests due to the integrated front end and I think I can only go up maybe another 40 or 30cm safely
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnj121591 wrote:
sup folks,

i'm a roadie here. recently did tour of the gila UCI and it was my first time riding the team's sponsor TT bike. without a ton of time beforehand to properly dial-in the fit, the thing must have been several inches inches lower in the front than my personal TT bike (a BMC TM02 where I have about 20mm of spacers + 35mm of pedestal on a zipp vuka stealth base bar). however, despite being much higher on my personal TT bike, i know i am way faster since I can turtle my head more and put out more watts. the DS suggested that i should try and focus on improving my body to the team bike's position whereas i've been under the impression that one should fit the bike to the body. basically, he wants me to try and get as low as possible.

is being low the end-all-be-all? i feel like on the team bike my front end is so low that i have to crane my neck up to see at all and my head sticks up like a giraffe thus negating any potential benefit. does anyone have any input on whether "gettin' low" is actually all that good?

i've attached a picture of myself from TOG where quite frankly i had a terrible TT (prolly partly due to my janky fit on a TT bike that i only rode the day before) for y'all to make fun of. normally i'm a pretty decent TT'er but i totally shanked that one lolz.

https://imgur.com/a/CwIq7p3

Your DS has no idea what he's talking about. You need to figure out a way to get back to your old position if it was faster for you. I'm running the lowest drop that I have in my entire life and have the lowest CdA I've ever had.

To be fair you don't look super low in the Gila pic. But it is probably forcing your head up. You're also doing yourself zero favors riding in that Rudy helmet.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like the FM086, which has been rebadged to dozens of brands. I have one, and the bars are absolute shit (flimsy, hard to adjust). Yours might be different... but mine were so bad I couldn't even bring myself to sell them to some poor slob. You can put another bar on there though as the stem takes standard 31.8mm bars.

Can't tell much from your trainer photo, but it doesn't look very aero either. Do you have your team bike? There is a sticky about taking a bike fit video. That would be a good place to start.
Quote Reply
Re: slamming and "low"-ness [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How tall are you relative to the personal bike size? The personal setup reach seems it could be more, maybe picture angle.

Same crank length?

To be safe as you try stuff, I’m sure you may have a 4 foot long level and tape measure. Safe as in staying in the UCI window.

You currently using either the seat position or reach/extensions position exemption?

There’s a few folks in here who are TT folks who helped me out based on side view video at target power.

I’m not the expert, but want to see the end result!
Quote Reply