Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any brands/locals do AG "PR" awards?
Quote | Reply
I really like that some places have this kind of carrot to chase. Any of your local series or other brands of events you know of do this?

From a local TT race rule book:

"To establish a Personal Record (PR), a rider must have completed a total of 5 events with at least 3 events during the current series. A rider that has no race history will be eligible for a PR when he/she finishes at least 5 events in the current series. A PR medal will be available for eligible riders that established a new PR on the last event of the series."

I think it would be great for anything really. 5k's, TT, shoot......even IM or something. Minimum of 3 prior events within 3 prior years for long course. Or 3 5k's or TT's per season.

I think things like that kind of quiets the whole "ringers" argument about AG racing. You'd still have an award to chase independently.

It kind of bridges a gap between folks competing for the win and those getting just another finish medal.

I'd rather get one personal best medal instead of three separate finisher medals for an event.
Quote Reply
Re: Any brands/locals do AG "PR" awards? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yawn.

It already takes Race Directors a ton of time to sort out Age Group awards. I can't imagine adding in PRs. My thought process is...track your own PRs, no one else cares
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTC exec challenge does this...and it can get you to Kona...

I also agree with the above poster, there are enough awards. I also think this would just further encourage flat and easy courses above all else.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Any brands/locals do AG "PR" awards? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That "yawn" got me to sign up for the series instead of just trying out one race.

And the "yawn" isn't a unique idea, nor is it my idea. I clearly pulled that right from a rule book.

So, the idea worked to an extent. It got someone to signup for the full series instead of doing a bunch of free Strava segment rides at home and only doing a single ride at the event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to compete, compete.

This is proposing just another participation trophy for people to pat themselves on the back about. You can feel good about a PR without needing the attention of an audience to recognize it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:

This is proposing just another participation trophy for people to pat themselves on the back about. You can feel good about a PR without needing the attention of an audience to recognize it.

sure, but It can be nice when someone else notices that you set a PR. I compete for myself, mostly, but it does feel pretty good when a teammate says "hey, that's the fastest you've gone in a while, isn't it?"

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:

Then wouldn't a PR medal be worth more than a finisher medal?

The concept of the PR award is pretty common in lots of cycling time trial groups. Looking up run clubs, in searching for this topic, it appears that 5k and other distance PRs seem to commonly carry them as well.

We're not talking about handing people a bottle of champagne and a bouquet of roses and taking a bunch of front page pictures.

If you don't like the idea an event gives out a finisher medal, then don't sign up. From a perspective of attracting participants, I'd rather have a PR medal than ever receiving even a single finisher medal.

I think a lot of folks have tunnel vision on the podium being the only place where achievement occurs. Shoot, the Tour de France and other races have what, like six awards with only one being the actual winner? GC, young rider, combative (like WTF is that), KOM, points (sprinter), and team.

So, it's OK in the Tour de France to not sniff the podium of GC but it's OK to have all the other "intermediate" contests. Not even including single-stage wins/podiums as races within a race.

I liken in to exactly that. AG is the GC. I'm just saying add a PR/PB.

If you think about it like that, it doesn't sound so "snowflake handout" ludicrous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if anything especially with the different dynamics that come into play with an triathlon PR’s really should be course specific. One T1 is 50yards from shore other T1 in another race is 500yds away and this “hidden” time can totally be the difference. It’s why I’ve always kinda shoulder shrugged at people who want to “course certify” triathlon events. It just isn’t that easy. It would be a huge pain in ass for RD’s to make it work and “certifiable”.

But I do like the idea. They could give you discount to another series event etc. ways to bring in and keep people in sport. Local series is trying different race formats, some success some yawn but atleast they are trying to get new ideas to the racers.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those just aren’t even remotely close comparisons. The TdF is a 3 week stage race and all of those categories are competitions. You have to ride tactically and beat other people if you want the sprinters jersey, young rider, KOM Jersey, etc.

They aren’t out there giving awards to a domestique because he had his best average pace in a TT.

And as it’s been stated, PRs are all over the place with different courses. Your logic might work if there was a tri series held on the same course on a recurring basis. I still just don’t see the appeal. PRs are personal, it’s literally in the name. Compete against everyone else if you want an award. Track your own PR in a spreadsheet, Athlinks, Strava, or your platform of choice.

Hell, I set a PR in a TT series last night. Did I expect an award? Absolutely not. I still got my ass kicked by a dozen other people out there. But you bet I was pleased with my progression. To me, the intrinsic rewards are far superior than any medal, ribbon, or made up trophy
Quote Reply
Re: Any brands/locals do AG "PR" awards? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
I also think this would just further encourage flat and easy courses above all else.

LOL! From your signature line:

2019: Honu, IMC, IMMD, IMAZ

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Any brands/locals do AG "PR" awards? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
hadukla wrote:
I also think this would just further encourage flat and easy courses above all else.

LOL! From your signature line:

2019: Honu, IMC, IMMD, IMAZ

hey 2/3 is better than 3 out of 3. I could have done IMSR or IMTX first this year!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is IMSR flat? It falls near my birthday next year and I was considering it.

Quote Reply
Re: Any brands/locals do AG "PR" awards? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assumed so with top AGers going sub-9 but never looked at the course. Was going to do it next year but signed up for St.G instead

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there any races where top AG´s don't go sub 9? Except extreme hilly races?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get those from Garmin Connect all of the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At my 'local' Half then last year the person with the biggest improvement over their previous year's time got a garmin. Was their sponsor prize. Other sponsors gave prizes for fastest swim, fastest bike leg and in the past then it's been the fastest finish on the run (final 1km was timed split).

I was pissed as I took 2 hours off my half time from my last race, but was from few years ago pre-injury and the rules were only the previous year ;-) Should have totally sandbagged in preparation for this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBR for a PR, of course.

Last edited by: GreatScott: May 16, 19 14:09
Quote Reply
Re: Any brands/locals do AG "PR" awards? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FTW!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frankly, whatever motivates you, great... While I agree to me, this seems like a millennial thing, and a participation medal 2.0, but if it lures a few people to race a few more races, that's great for the promoter... I doubt the thought of something like this existing is going to turn many people off to an extent that they boycott the even as a result...

There are several running clubs, and store sponsored clubs that offer some of these PR incentives, be it medals, or gift cards for verified PRs, etc.Again if that's what motivate you to train hard and get a PR, fantastic.
Quote Reply