Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

7on/7off work schedule?
Quote | Reply
Hello! Anybody else work a (roughly) 7 on 7 off schedule? I love this schedule from an overall life satisfaction standpoint, but have struggled with how to best plan and arrange my training schedule. I go from having at most 7-9 hours per week to having 14-20 hours per week. Having the ability to put in monster weeks is great, but it undercuts the goal of consistency.

Any thoughts on this? Any solutions?
Quote Reply
Re: 7on/7off work schedule? [nyejesse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do, If you by “7on/7off” mean 7 am - 7 pm
I work 3 days on, 3 days off; day shift, day shift, Night shift (7pm-7am).

Luckily i have a coach to plan for me. But usually i have 10-15 h of training.

Before i hot a coach i played around with a 6 day training week. With 2x2x2 and some strength. Purely because it was easier to plan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a coach and never had this schedule, but it sounds super awesome to me. Off the top of my head I think I'd do four week cycles as:

wk 1: big volume, low/moderate intensity
wk 2: low volume, high intensity
wk 3: big volume, low/moderate intensity
wk 4: low volume, low intensity (rest wk).

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: 7on/7off work schedule? [Buchreitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, I think the faster cycle of 3 on 3 off would be easier/closer to a normal work schedule. I’ve thought about getting a coach but am still working on justifying the cost to my wife. 😬
Quote Reply
Re: 7on/7off work schedule? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s what I’ve kind of fallen into. Maybe making a concerted effort and actually planning it that way would help me “feel better” about it—make it feel intentional.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not real thoughts or solutions other than, hire a coach mentioned already. What job is it though?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago (like 30 years ago) I worked the following shifts for 4 years:

Friday through Thursday afternoon - 7 am to 7 pm

Off until Saturday afternoon.

Saturday through Friday night - 2 pm to midnight

Off until Tuesday night

Tuesday night to Tuesday morning - 11 pm to 7 am

Off until Friday morning.

At the time I was just a runner, as well as a volunteer paramedic and fire fighter. It had no adverse affects on my ability to train or my performance. The great thing about it was that for 21 our 28 days a month I could train during the best (warmest, coolest, driest) time of the day, and I was able to respond to EMS/Fire calls at a time that most had to leave work to do so.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: 7on/7off work schedule? [trm08b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m a hospitalist—I wouldn’t trade my rat race for anybody’s at this point. Mostly days, few nights and swings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work something close, 8 and 6. 8 x 10 hour shifts (Thursday to Thursday) and then off for 6.

In my experience when I'm working I get a good workout in first thing in the morning (I start work at 5 so I avoid traffic in both directions). My afternoon workout is kinda meh. When I'm off, I mix training with pleasure so I'll do stuff I enjoy (like MTB) for longer hours. I have a coworker who does HIIT type stuff when working and distance workouts when he's off and it works for him. It really depends on what you're doing, and if you're the kind of person who can workout first thing in the morning.
Quote Reply