Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smart trainers and apartment blocks
Quote | Reply
I currently use a traditional 'wheel on' resistance trainer in my first floor apartment and can't my start my indoor sessions before 9am because of the noise caused by the vibrations transmitted through the tiled floor into the unit below and the rest of the block in general.

I'm contemplating a smart trainer, but won't bother if the vibration levels are still unacceptable. Anyone have any first hand experience of using smart trainers like the kickr core in an apartment block and what that 'neighbour experience' is?
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers and apartment blocks [benb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benb wrote:
I currently use a traditional 'wheel on' resistance trainer in my first floor apartment and can't my start my indoor sessions before 9am because of the noise caused by the vibrations transmitted through the tiled floor into the unit below and the rest of the block in general.

I'm contemplating a smart trainer, but won't bother if the vibration levels are still unacceptable. Anyone have any first hand experience of using smart trainers like the kickr core in an apartment block and what that 'neighbour experience' is?

2 family house, we live upstairs.

I just got off me TACX NEO, watching TV with my bluetooth headphones on. My wife I had no idea I was on the bike. She thought I was napping. Zero noise

Came from a CT for many years. Which sounded like an airplane. Upstairs and downstairs

I built a a base using Thick Rubber Stall Mat (Tractor Supply Store) on top of a 2 inch thick wooden board (Home Depot)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to drastically reduce direct vibration by using a rubber mat under the trainer. I have always used a cheap yoga/stretch mat but specific trainer mats are available.

I would guess one of your issues is that the floor tiles are not 100% level which is allowing the trainer to move slightly. This will affect dumb and smart trainers the same but using a mat would help level the trainer. Smart trainer do generally create a less audible noise that traditional fluid or air units but it doesn't seem like that is your issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you build yourself the right platform, and then set it on a vibration dampening mat, you should be able to get to the point where the noise/vibration would be negligible. Lower the number of points of contact, and add dispersion. It might cost you some money in materials, but it's an investment in your training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
buy a 4mm thick cork mat, it's cheaper than the smart trainer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a STAC Zero and it's pretty darn quiet. They just released a smart version with ERG, too. I would highly suggest it for anyone who needs silence when they train.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surely a direct drive will be quieter than a wheel-on. I also live in an apt - try getting one of these and cutting it down to the size needed, even if just to be placed under the trainer:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benb wrote:

I have a wheel-on Kickr Snap trainer. It's not the quietest but not the loudest. In second floor apartment with wood floor I can use this at 5am without complaints from the neighbors or roommate.

I have a tiny apartment in Chicago. I can literally roll out of bed and onto the saddle. (I can share pics)

Edit: Is your floor level ? ;)

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Last edited by: D_PRC: Oct 26, 18 12:23
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers and apartment blocks [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Surely a direct drive will be quieter than a wheel-on. I also live in an apt - try getting one of these and cutting it down to the size needed, even if just to be placed under the trainer:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat

I noted that above in my response, which i got the recommendation from ST a few years back. Great recommendation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on your trainer base, maybe something along the lines of those relatively cheap furniture sliders.

Last edited by: gregn: Oct 26, 18 13:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to bump an old thread to ask if anyone has ever tried inflating an old mtb tube and putting it under a piece of wood which the trainer then goes in top of. I saw that suggestion on an old road bike forums post and it kind of sounds genius but it also sounds like it could be very unsteady/problematic if it popped.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers and apartment blocks [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have built a rocker plate for my old Kurt Kinetic Road Machine using plywood and mini dodgeballs. Works great for comfort through the side-by-side motion but haven't really noticed a reduction in sound.

Here's a previous ST forum post on Rocker plates
...and here's a link to a Facebook group with hundreds of different designs

@Kid
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers and apartment blocks [atkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice I'll check out those pages. What kind of dodgeballs did you use? The rubber ones or the foam ones kids use in gym class? If the latter I'd be surprised that they didnt reduce the noise. Seems like those would eat a lot of the vibrations.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers and apartment blocks [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used something like these mini dodgeballs If you go through that Facebook group, many different options but I don't know of any that used the foam-type balls.

Cheers,
@Kid
Quote Reply