Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

4iiii (precision or podiiiium) or stages?
Quote | Reply
Both have a good deal on closeout Ultegra 6800, $300 for either one. What would you go with? podium has precision and podiiiium so if 4iiii what version? I have a edge 500 and have heard stages used to have issues with this was unit. Does anyone know do this was fixed? Pros and cons of both would be appreciated.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: May 16, 19 5:33
Quote Reply
Re: 4iiii or stages? [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 4iiii on my old bike, but got a stages on my new bike because I figured they’d be equivalent. However my stages is always a significant amount lower (like 25%) than what my trainer tells me I’m doing. Previously the 4iiii and trainer matched up pretty well, so I’m assuming the stages is pretty far off.

This is obviously an N of one, and I have to think that if all their stuff was this inaccurate that they’d be out of business. So I don’t know how much to make of my stages inaccuracy myself, but now I’m wishing I’d stayed with what was working for me before.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My 4iiii has worked perfectly since I bought it 5 months ago.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iiii (precision or podiiiium) or stages? [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a gen2 Stages and I use an Edge 500. Over the ~5 years I’ve been using them I’ve never had any on the signal drop out issues that I’ve heard other people talk about with the Edge/Stages combo (I can’t remember, but I thought most of those issues were with other Edge units like the 520). The Stages also lined up reasonably well with my trainers, both my old PowerBeam Pro and my new Hammer.

Still, I’d just go with whatever you can get a better deal on. A friend who has a 4iiii Ultegra left crank arm really likes it and hasn’t had any issues. I’d imagine at this point both are reliable.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iiii or stages? [MrB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the precision or the podium model?

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Precision, single DA arm, Garmin 500, and Wahoo Element. Steady readings, and I've only changed the battery once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am using a precision power meter for a year now and super happy with it. It is accurate and in a consistent way.
I prefer the precision because it is easier and quicker to switch a battery than to charge the thing.
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using a 4iiii Precision Pro since March. It tracks within 3 watts of my smart trainer. It just works... Plug and play. Also the tracking feature is pretty neat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 4iiii on my roadie and the stages (3rd gen) on my tri bike. The 4iiii seems more consistent, and would be my preference. I have the one that takes replaceable batteries, since it was cheaper.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: May 16, 19 16:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

I have 6each 4iiii in use 25,000 plus miles.
Rain, mud ,cold and snow salt.
The battery’s last about 100 ish hours not 150 but I use cheap battery’s
They don’t like winter fixed gear very low cadence, that’s a Quarq
Very reliable data with Garmin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a 4iiii precision for maybe 3 years, plenty of use and it has been faultless. I don't know anyone who has had a problem free Stages (just last weekend was the most recent discussion with a friend about his faulty one). General reviews on these are true to form, the decision should be easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Snagged the 4iiii precision.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply