Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano RD8000 is rubbing badly on largest cog
Quote | Reply
I just installed a new groupset on my Tri bike which includes a Shimano RD8000ss along with a 52/36 crankset and a 11-30 cassette. Shimano, which tends to be conservative states that the RD8000ss is compatible with cassettes up to and including an 11-30 and that the total capacity is 35T. I am at the stated capacity with the cransket and cassette combination chosen. When moving to the largest cog (30), the rear derailleur lower jockey wheel is pulled up so high that it rubs up against the chain wrapped around the upper jockey wheel (I hope that makes sense). I’m pretty sure this is not a chain length issue because this problem occurs when in the small chainring. Is there some sort of adjustment that can be made to alleviate this problem, or do I need to move a 11-28 cassette or a longer cage RD in the event that I want to use a 11-30 cassette?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RD8000 is rubbing badly on largest cog [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a set screw called the “b screw” you need to tighten which will pull the derailluer back. Easy adjustment.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RD8000 is rubbing badly on largest cog [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I’ll give that a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RD8000 is rubbing badly on largest cog [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, exactly

What's nice about the R8000 is that the screws are all hex head now and the B screw is much easier to operate than the old Phillips style.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RD8000 is rubbing badly on largest cog [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
There is a set screw called the “b screw” you need to tighten which will pull the derailluer back. Easy adjustment.

Yes, exactly what others said. If you tighten the b-screw (it’s a small 2mm, so be careful not to strip) you will get more cog to pulley clearance.
FWIW, with my Shimano 8000, I tightened the b-screw all the way and am able to clear a 42t cassette.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RD8000 is rubbing badly on largest cog [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saved me an embarrassing trip to the bike mechanic.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RD8000 is rubbing badly on largest cog [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, 42!

I've seen video of 40's working.

Personally I have a 36 on mine with a mid-cage. With that I can go about 5mph at ~70 rpm which is a comfortable pace up 12% grades.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RD8000 is rubbing badly on largest cog [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, 56t 1x up front. And I’ll normally use an 11-36 in the back for training. But then one of my buddies wanted to go climbing, so I took the XT cassette off of my MTB. Shifted just fine.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply