Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Move from 172.5 to 165 fsa gossamer question
Quote | Reply
Not a newbie to the sport by any means, but definitely a newbie to doing my own mechanical work.

I'm on a 2015 Cervelo p3 that has the stock FSA Gossamer 52/36 172.5 BBright crankset. I want to move to 165 and in my simple mind I should be able to just replace the crank arms, but that may not be the case. What do I need to be taking into consideration from a mechanical standpoint to make the switch, ideally without completely changing the bottom bracket - but if I have to do that then I'll go ahead and do that as well. Am I only able to look at FSA products? What else is compatible?

Making the switch due to hip/low back issues that are getting more and more difficult to keep in check with 5-10 minutes of stability work/day.

Thanks for any guidance.
Quote Reply
Re: Move from 172.5 to 165 fsa gossamer question [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Change it out to a 165mm crankset. Simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any crank that is compatible with BBright will work.

Personally I like the BB386EVO standard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it has to be a BBRight crankset from FSA I believe

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Move from 172.5 to 165 fsa gossamer question [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a Rotor 3D+ in my P2
I've put an FSA BB386EVO in a P2 as well

Both using the Stock Bottom Bracket

Edit: NP2 and NP3 are the same frame
Last edited by: jaretj: May 16, 19 4:18
Quote Reply
Re: Move from 172.5 to 165 fsa gossamer question [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. Another question, when I get on FSA's website it looks like a lot of the 165 cranks come with 50 tooth chain rings, but I want to keep the 52 on there. When purchasing, does it matter what size chain ring comes on there - my assumption is I can just swap the 52 that I've got onto whatever else as long as it fits the bottom bracket but I don't want to start into a process of ordering and sending back a bunch of product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it comes with a 50 it's likely a compact (110bcd)
You would have to put a 52 with a 110bcd chainring (which are really common) on it.

From what you describe from your first post, the crankset you already have is a compact and those chainrings will likely work on a new FSA Gossamer compact.
Quote Reply
Re: Move from 172.5 to 165 fsa gossamer question [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply