Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dropping 2-3 lbs in 3 days
Quote | Reply
Daughter is rowing on Saturday morning in the lightweight division. Cutoff weight is 130 lbs. This morning she is 132.2.
There is a weigh-in before the race Saturday.
Is the best way to try to sweat it out the next couple of days and to restrict intake of fluids. Not stop drinking but cut back on water intake?
Quote Reply
Re: Dropping 2-3 lbs in 3 days [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 pounds is easy to lose. Just drink minimal water and eat lightly. No salt.

My older son wrestles and can lose 5 pounds in a day. I've seen him lose 2 pounds in an hour just by sweating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2.2 pounds isn't much. I agree, reduce salts and sit in a sauna for a few rounds of 10-20 min.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropping 2-3 lbs in 3 days [trm08b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, would a steam work? We have a steam unit hooked up in our master shower. I'm assuming a sauna would be better because it's dry but don't have access to one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Daughter is rowing on Saturday morning in the lightweight division. Cutoff weight is 130 lbs. This morning she is 132.2.
Is the best way to try to sweat it out the next couple of days and to restrict intake of fluids. Not stop drinking but cut back on water intake?

I weigh around 160 and can easily lose a full lb during a single run. I also lost 1-1.6 lbs over night just from sleeping which I think is pretty normal.

I think you are on the right track with reducing water and salt intake. Just do it safely and be careful not to dehydrate. Losing 2.2 lbs temporarily should be very easy. Just realize it is not true weight loss and it is all water weight. Hydrate a lot days after weigh in and get the weight back, be safe.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steam could probably work too as long as you are raising her body temp and sweating some out. Go slow at first for sure though. She shouldn't have a problem losing 2-3 lbs. As mentioned below, if I go on a longer run I can lose up to 5lbs. Nice easy slow jog to sweat it out. I also agree with making sure to hydrate a lot as soon as she has weighed in, for peak performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have her put on a sweat shirt and pants and go for a 20 minute run and leave the clothes on for an hour. She should be able to lose at least a pound with that trick.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropping 2-3 lbs in 3 days [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very easy. Do a 20 hour fast.

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy, just follow a colonoscopy prep protocol for 24 hours. She will drop at least 5 lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prunes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can poop 2 to 3 lbs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cutting...oh cutting...3lbs, 3 days, easy peasy. But she needs to run, drink less, and probably the steam room. Just like a fighter, after she weighs in throw down some food.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t recommend it at I think it’s pretty unhealthy but wrestlers and boxers typically shed weight just before a weigh in. The old running on a treadmill in a sweatsuit covered in a plastic trash bag seems to be a timeless classic for cutting a couple lbs, fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does your daughter have the OEM Ultegra or 105 parts on her? You could swap those out for Dura Ace and make weight. It won’t be cheap, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:

Not over the next couple days, do it the night before or morning of. Cut salt out now but you don't want to sweat down and then hold it for 48 hours better to do it just before. 132 the night before, I would almost guarantee under 130 in the morning.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take Jordano's advice.

From this thread alone, about half of STers are smart asses or dumb asses. Let me sleep on which it is.

Good luck.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1hr Run 90degrees I have lost 8lbs....

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
60 min spin class without drinking water. She'll drop 3# no problem
Quote Reply
Re: Dropping 2-3 lbs in 3 days [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes just listen to Jordano. Plus remember with rehydrating there’s a max amount of water your body can absorb per hour after the weigh in. For your daughter probably like 1/2 -3/4 of a liter per hour. 1 liter of water is 2.2 lbs. so your daughter will need to drink a liter of water over 1.5-2hours to rehydrate
Quote Reply
Re: Dropping 2-3 lbs in 3 days [TriSolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to a Mexican place for dinner. Eat lots of chips, salsa, and a bean burrito. Get a good night's sleep. Wake up, drink some coffee, take the dogs for a walk, and then let the coffee and gravity do their thing. She'll lose the weight of the dinner meal plus those required pounds. Have some magazines or a book of crosswords available in the bog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Former wrestler here. Don't do it over 3 days. Do it in as short as a time frame as possible. So, ideally the morning of if there is enough time to get a good sweat in and then hydrate immediately after weight in. Salt is the only thing to massively restrict a few days out. Also, don't listen to all those guys saying easy to lose 8 lbs blah blah blah. They probably weight 180 lbs (like me) and as a percentage of body weight that can change the difficulty of cutting weight. So, cutting about 2% of body weight can have some impacts on performance. Ideal is short and sweet and replace right after weigh in.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I presume the weigh in is 2hrs before a 2k race?
What she needs to do will depend somewhat on how hard she has been dieting to get to this stage. If she hasn't been particularly restrictive then simply cutting out fibrous foods and having smallish meals of mainly pure carbs with a small amount of protein will loose most of it.
I tended not to drink much if at all after my evening meal the night before. But she should know how much she typically looses overnight and take that into account how much to eat and drink the evening meal before. You don't need huge amounts of stored energy for a 2k race.
If she has already been dieting hard then she may need to sweat some out on the morning. Normally we would do a 4k pre race paddle and in normal let this would loose ~200g.in sweat kit e.g. 2 leggings,splashtop next to skin, 3 tops splashtop on top, all in one, woolly hat. This would be up to 1kg. After 2km do a 20 stroke burst to get things flowing. Keep the kit on after the outing if it took a long time to start sweating.
A hot bath can be an extra before if there is a lot to loose.
Make sure the weigh in all in one is dry. Not the one sweated in. (Preferably a specific weigh in suit, can be 200g less than a race suit)
Don't overshoot.
Don't have too much after the weigh in. Just 500-750mls of electrolytes and e.g. a white roll or 2 with honey or jam. You don't want to get onto the water feeling full or sloshing around.
Always best to test these things before race day but I guess too late for that in this case.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropping 2-3 lbs in 3 days [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
Former wrestler here. Don't do it over 3 days. Do it in as short as a time frame as possible. So, ideally the morning of if there is enough time to get a good sweat in and then hydrate immediately after weight in.

What he said. 3 days of dehydration is not a good recipe for performance. Also, when re-hydrating, I wouldn't think water is ideal. Nuun or coconut water or a sports drink, something with some salt so she doesn't dilute herself any more than she already has after a few no-salt days.

(I'm not a doctor.)

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Dropping 2-3 lbs in 3 days [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
Former wrestler here. Don't do it over 3 days. Do it in as short as a time frame as possible. So, ideally the morning of if there is enough time to get a good sweat in and then hydrate immediately after weight in. Salt is the only thing to massively restrict a few days out. Also, don't listen to all those guys saying easy to lose 8 lbs blah blah blah. They probably weight 180 lbs (like me) and as a percentage of body weight that can change the difficulty of cutting weight. So, cutting about 2% of body weight can have some impacts on performance. Ideal is short and sweet and replace right after weigh in.

Also a former college wrestler and former college wrestling coach and 100% this. The shorter the time you are dehydrated, the quicker and better your recovery. Also, knowing your sweat-rate helps. Some guys can lose 8+ pounds an hour, and others can only lose 2-3. Generally smaller people lose less.

We used to encourage our guys to eat enough the night before a weigh-in so that they would wake up anywhere between 1-4 pounds overweight (depending on what they could lose in 40-50 minutes). It also helps to know how much you generally float (lose) overnight. Then working out to cut that weight before weigh-ins basically functions as a good warm up for that days tournament.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had one guy try shaving his head. Apparently hair doesn't weight that much.

A good run and remembering there is no modesty in the weigh in room.
Quote Reply

Prev Next