Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Shingles and triathletes. [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
Wow - this is pretty scary. I have a had a really bad rash on my back for a couple weeks. Went to the doctor and she said it was not lyme disease or shingles. She told me it was contact dermatitis. Anyways she gave me a corticosteroid creme and it has been clearing up. No idea where this came from. Now I'm thinking it's my tri training. I've upped my weekly hours recently for an upcoming race. Thoughts?

You had a doctor evaluate you. You were treated for that condition, and it's improving. Why would you think it's something else despite that?
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles and triathletes. [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in a similar situation as you. About five years ago I got shingles on and around my left eyebrow. I was in the midst of training for an ironman but it was still three months off. They put me on the antiviral meds and I saw my ophthalmologist daily for a week or so and twice weekly for a while after that as he monitored it's effect on my optic nerve, etc. (Fortunately I had great insurance and doctors.)

At first I kept training without letup. The antivirals made me...volatile. It was a bit scary really. I stupidly did an olympic-distance race about two weeks after the outbreak and it went horribly with dizziness and low energy. So I backed way off of training for a month and then ramped back up again.

The best I can say about that Ironman was I finished. As any one will tell you, you've got to deal with the health first. A race isn't worth it.

Things worked out well pretty well for me. The skin around my eye is noticeably scarred and I have these prickly pains on occasion. The eye itself is persistently dry and often irritated but I lost no vision. So I view it as a win. Despite being too young my insurance agreed to let me get the vaccine so I'm hopeful I won't get them again.

Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 to everything Monty says. I would not train through shingles.

I had it flare up last year right after an IM. While the condition itself was not acutely scary, I was much more concerned with long-term risks - neuralgia or the link to Guillain-Barre syndrome, in particular. I shut training down completely for 2 weeks. I saw my options as A. rest completely to recover quickly, B. partially rest and have it linger longer, or C. train through it and create a chronic condition.

Sorry, it's extremely frustrating. But the rest/de-stress could be positive too.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles and triathletes. [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
Don_W wrote:
Wow - this is pretty scary. I have a had a really bad rash on my back for a couple weeks. Went to the doctor and she said it was not lyme disease or shingles. She told me it was contact dermatitis. Anyways she gave me a corticosteroid creme and it has been clearing up. No idea where this came from. Now I'm thinking it's my tri training. I've upped my weekly hours recently for an upcoming race. Thoughts?

You had a doctor evaluate you. You were treated for that condition, and it's improving. Why would you think it's something else despite that?

She's not my regular doctor; possible missed diagnosis; no known cause that I know of; then I see this thread on slowtitch. Just makes me wonder a bit. I'll be keeping an eye on it, although it now seems to be in remission...

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles and triathletes [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread reminded me that I have been considering the vaccine, but after reading some comments from people that have received the new two dose Shingrix vaccine I am not so sure. Although I hated having shingles a long time ago some of those comments about severe side effects seem worse.

Not so sure now.
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles and triathletes. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the comments everyone, specifically Monty.

I consulted with my doctor at Temple University and then three other ophthalmologists/doctors at Jefferson University. My PCP at Temple said taking a week off wouldn't hurt, the staff at Jefferson said I could keep training for Ironman without issue. Based on what my PCP and the folks on the forum have said. I am going to take it easy for about a week while I take this magical cocktail of stuff.

Prescription:

• Bacitracin-Polymyxin Eye Ointment - 3 times a day to decrease risk of infection
  • Valacyclovir HCL 1 Gram Teblet - 1 tablet 3 times a day for antiviral purposes

• Side effects: Dizziness, may impair ability to ride that TT bike
  • Methylprednisolone 4 MG Dosepack - 6 tablets a day, corticosteroids, glucocorticoids

• Side effects: Dizziness
    • WADA: Banned substance
  • Ondansetron HCL 4 MG Tablet - Take 1 a day and additional as needed to stop nausea

• Side effects: Dizziness, drowsiness, headaches, depression (blocks serotonin), may impair ability to ride that TT bike
  • Migraine Relief Tablets - for the headaches
  • Fluticasone prop 50 mcg spray - 2 puffs in nostrils each day to open up nasal passages and reduce swelling
  • Gabapentin 300 mg capsule - Nerve pain blocker (this is super important as nerve pain is the main issue here)

• Side effects: Drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, depression

The common theme seems to be drowsiness, dizziness, and depression. So I am going to need to do all of my rides on the TT for a while.

The other noticeable thing is the WADA/USADA banned substance. Do I need to get a (TUE) Therapeutic Use Exemption for this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shingles has changed over the years. In my first 15 years in general practice I saw one or two cases a year. Usually old people. Three or four years ago I start seeing about a case a month and my practice is smaller than it was in the first 15 years. I once saw saw two cases in one day about a year ago.

My theory is that about 20 years ago we started immunizing kids for chickenpox. As a result we are now at a point where there is very little wild chickenpox circulating in the community. When there was adults used to get exposed to it every once in a while and likely got a bit of an immune boost which helped keep the chickenpox virus which is latent in the dorsal root ganglia of your spine at bay.

The other thing is there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to who gets shingles these days. Young, old, stressed, unstressed, intact immune systems, depressed immune systems doesn't seem to matter. Local opthalmologist tells me the same thing. He sees all the cases of shingles that affect the eye.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Shingles and triathletes. [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:

No, contact dermatitis is an allergic reaction to something. Did you change soaps recently or may some new clothes. I once got a bad full body reaction after staying in motel. I’m guessing it was something on the sheets.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles and triathletes. [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts/observations about shingles, which I have had every few years :(

• I had the vaccine and it's working, thank goodness
  • Others got viruses, I got shingles instead!
  • I am due .. but got viruses this year just like everyone else.
  • The anti-viral drug for shingles will halt propagation - have to take it early.
  • Seems to want to attack traumatized areas - for me it was mid back, left back/leg, left shoulder, jaw/face (after dentist)
  • Pain is through the roof. I could do mild movement with the shoulder attack. The rest I was grounded for two weeks. I had to have really strong painkillers just to move the one time, OMG.
  • The attacks are burning and electrical - because it transports & multiplies on the nerve tissues.
  • Sleeping is tough too.
  • I had semi-permanent nerve damage in my arm and in my left leg. The arm has come back - took 2 years.
  • The leg has not come back. I am still working on getting a fully functional left leg due to the one nerve channel that was absolutely roasted.
  • Imo genetics will predispose people to shingles.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles and triathletes [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you reading about the adverse side effects of Shingrex? I'm planning on it, my GP recommends, but it's rarely available - so I have not had the opportunity. Might change my mind if the 'cure' is as bad as the disease!
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles and triathletes [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was this web page and the feedback comments at the bottom. https://thevaccinereaction.org/...as-serious-problems/
Also here and comments of experiences at the bottom. https://www.ageofautism.com/...ng-transparency.html

Just to be clear I am just being cautious and have not decided against it. I may still do it later. With the comments about joint and muscular pain well after the shots is a bit unsettling for people like us that can't afford to risk long term joint pains or other side effects. I have enough aches training at this age as it is. There was another aspect to this to consider. I have seen on several pages stating a shortage of the two dose vaccine. A person may be able to get the first shot and find it difficult to get the second shot. I am not sure what happens (less effective or non-effective?) if you are not able to get the second shot because it is not available.
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles and triathletes. [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
My thoughts/observations about shingles, which I have had every few years :(

• I had the vaccine and it's working, thank goodness
  • Others got viruses, I got shingles instead!
  • I am due .. but got viruses this year just like everyone else.
  • The anti-viral drug for shingles will halt propagation - have to take it early.
  • Seems to want to attack traumatized areas - for me it was mid back, left back/leg, left shoulder, jaw/face (after dentist)
  • Pain is through the roof. I could do mild movement with the shoulder attack. The rest I was grounded for two weeks. I had to have really strong painkillers just to move the one time, OMG.
  • The attacks are burning and electrical - because it transports & multiplies on the nerve tissues.
  • Sleeping is tough too.
  • I had semi-permanent nerve damage in my arm and in my left leg. The arm has come back - took 2 years.
  • The leg has not come back. I am still working on getting a fully functional left leg due to the one nerve channel that was absolutely roasted.
  • Imo genetics will predispose people to shingles.

You have my sympathy. I once had an elderly lady who had to take strong narcotics for 6 months for post herpetic neuralgia. Glad vaccine is working.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
It was this web page and the feedback comments at the bottom. https://thevaccinereaction.org/...as-serious-problems/
Also here and comments of experiences at the bottom. https://www.ageofautism.com/...ng-transparency.html

Just to be clear I am just being cautious and have not decided against it. I may still do it later. With the comments about joint and muscular pain well after the shots is a bit unsettling for people like us that can't afford to risk long term joint pains or other side effects. I have enough aches training at this age as it is. There was another aspect to this to consider. I have seen on several pages stating a shortage of the two dose vaccine. A person may be able to get the first shot and find it difficult to get the second shot. I am not sure what happens (less effective or non-effective?) if you are not able to get the second shot because it is not available.

Those are propaganda pages. Talk to an actual medical professional and/or find unbiased sites.
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles and triathletes [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:

Those are propaganda pages. Talk to an actual medical professional and/or find unbiased sites.

Yeah thanks, but I don't trust all physicians or pharmaceutical companies, but I am not banking everything on the propaganda sites either. I also read warning statements from the CDC on Shingrix. He asked me where I read the things so I posted. I cannot say it the feedback section is from legitimate people, but I am not discounting it either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regardless of the original information source, I appreciate that you posted the info. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:

Yeah thanks, but I don't trust all physicians or pharmaceutical companies, but I am not banking everything on the propaganda sites either. I also read warning statements from the CDC on Shingrix. He asked me where I read the things so I posted. I cannot say it the feedback section is from legitimate people, but I am not discounting it either.

I didn't say a word about pharma companies or trusting all physicians. Use whatever informations source you'd like, but the linked sites are far more harmful than helpful. Science doesn't start with an agenda (which those sites do) and work backwards to justify their beliefs.

The CDC is a much more helpful site.

I get it though. There is almost too much information out there and too many special interest groups that benefit from misinformation. Hard to decide what's best for ourselves in that environment unless we have specific training/education in that area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just my .02, but I got shingles while going through a divorce and running too hard on a treadmill. The combination of life stress, periodic alcohol consumption during periods of high stress, and training hard 3 times a week while running left me with a nasty shingles rash on half my body. The doctor recommended that I DO AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE to allow my immune system to recover. So, as much as I hate to say you should back off, you probably should back off. Again, I know how frustrating this is because I've been there, although I wasn't training for an Ironman at the time. I wish you the best and speedy recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles and triathletes. [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
Don_W wrote:

"Contact Dermatitis" is a term doctors use when they see a rash and haven't the foggiest clue what caused it. It really could be anything, so they throw out the common treatments like cortisone and hope that fixes it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next