Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blood on bar tape?
Quote | Reply
had a slide on a surprise patch of gravel yesterday, thankfully nothing serious but for a deep laceration on the left hand which bled fast enough that when I picked myself and bike up, I got some on the frame and bar tape (lizard skin). The bike is relatively new, and I know bar tape is fairly cheap but thought I would ask if anyone has experience cleaning blood off bar tape before I just give up and replace it?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Blood on bar tape? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alfred Hitchcock would know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soapy water, h2o2, baking soda paste.

I'd try the normal blood stain cleaning tricks. If it doesn't work, as you said, bar tape isn't super expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hydrogen peroxide + detergent

but really, if your tape has perforations, the blood likely seeped underneath the perforations. best to unwrap and clean the underside regardless
Quote Reply
Re: Blood on bar tape? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
hydrogen peroxide + detergent

but really, if your tape has perforations, the blood likely seeped underneath the perforations. best to unwrap and clean the underside regardless

Ah right, thanks, didn't think about that so yeah, gotta do the work on it anyway.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if you do decide to clean your bartape, or just for future reference, oxiclean is amazing for cleaning Bartape. Mix with water and apply with a toothbrush. (Never tried it on blood, but in general it has never let me down, for handlebar tape or elsewhere).
Quote Reply
Re: Blood on bar tape? [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First thought- Jens, is that you?

Second thought- leave that schiz there and use it as an intimidation factor. When someone notices, stare them with in the eye, wink, and nod. Then go on with life.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Blood on bar tape? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

Second thought- leave that schiz there and use it as an intimidation factor. When someone notices, stare them with in the eye, wink, and nod. Then go on with life.

Oh I'm not fast enough to be intimidating on a bike even if it was covered in the blood of my enemies and had a dragon skull as a saddle.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

Oh I'm not fast enough to be intimidating on a bike even if it was covered in the blood of my enemies and had a dragon skull as a saddle.

It's very early in the day to declare a winner of the internet, but it would take one hell of a lot to top this.

hadukla, I'm nominating that quote for your new signature line.

Quote | Reply
Don't clean it. Own it. It's a badge of honor.
Quote Reply