Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon Plan choice
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I was looking for a plan to prepare my first Olympics races and my 70.3 next year.

I was using trainerroad, but I need some advice on running and swimming.. That's why I search an "all-include-plan"

So I have different choices :
- stick with trainerroad but follow swim/run advice. But it seems a little lite, with no real Intervals.. Do someone follow the full plan for 70.3? What do you think?
- xert but no swim or run so..
- TrainingPeaks, I love the platform. But I'm totally lost between all the plan available.. Phil Mosley? Matt Fitzgerald? Which plan should I get? What do you try/suggest?

I don't want a coach, too expensive for me.. I read some books to understand using TP.

Aiming to do 10-15 hrs/week for this first year of "real" training.

10k : 33'
FTP: 300W
Smiw : beginner 1800m in 30' test
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Plan choice [P3aceFrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are already paying for TR why not stick with that? It may seem “a little light with no real intervals”, but come back and report after you get 3 training blocks in. I think there will be enough intensity for you. Especially if you get closer to 15 hours a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Plan choice [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm solely using TrainerRoad this year for my Full IM and 70.3 (b race). the swimming and running plans aren't as elaborate or creative as if you had a coach, but I find the full package to be challenging. i'm on the high volume plan and after a 16hr week i'm beat. also, i do mix up my workouts to include some speed sessions in place of what TrainerRoad has or some different swim drills in place of the intervals they have - no big deal. But for someone looking for a scheduled plan to keep them on the right path, it's perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P3aceFrog wrote:
Hello,

I was looking for a plan to prepare my first Olympics races and my 70.3 next year.

I was using trainerroad, but I need some advice on

10k : 33'
FTP: 300W
Smiw : beginner 1800m in 30' test

For your first year of training your times are fast to me

What time are you aiming for your 70.3?
Last edited by: MrTri123: May 12, 19 19:39
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Plan choice [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I talk about Intervals, I mean running intervals. Of course, bike intervals are pretty heavy in trainerroad! :)
But in running and swimming, I always feel like I need to change or adjust something.. It's quite normal if I don't have a coach, but I don't want to tweak each workout

I came from a running background when I was 16-19 years old. I'm 24 now
Last edited by: P3aceFrog: May 12, 19 22:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I followed the trainerroad plan (mid-volume) for my first full a couple years ago and have been using the high-volume 70.3 this year. I modify it just slightly - mostly the swim as I just do whatever my masters swim group is doing for my 4 swims a week. For a 'canned' plan it's pretty well balanced and well written. I've also used a half ironman plan from training peaks in the past from a good coach who posts here and has an age group team. I personally think the trainerroad plan has worked better for me.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sent you a PM with tailored swim and run workout options.

Masters swim will provide you intervals with others as a group.

A track club can also provide running intervals.

Talk with a few of the coaches for ideas. They may provide insight for canned programs they are associated with this year.

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/tactics2faster-new

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Plan choice [djmsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, I'll check.

Anyone has another review of trainerroad run&swim plan ? I don't know if it's worth or not paying like 130$ for a TP 28 weeks plan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not an expert, but I'm doing my first 70.3 in 4 weeks and have been following the low-volume TR plans base, build, specialty. I've found the RPE-based intervals for the runs and swims to be good for me. Every week has two swims with intervals and one continuous. Runs are two base per week with one interval-based. For me it's been well worth the investment, and I don't feel the need to buy something more complex externally.
Quote Reply