Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%?
Quote | Reply
Question in subject line. Currently gone through multiple pairs of pegasus turbos where the sole peels away at ~100 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [Blizzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard that about the pegasus but not about the Zoom Fly which has the same carbon plate. I bought the Zoom Fly after reading reviews about the sole on the pegasus and that the tongue was really irritating. I haven't put enough miles on the Zoom Fly to gauge its durability for for some what I have read there isn't the same dissatisfaction as with pegasus. Have you thought about buying a 4% for now and running in it and seeing how much you like it and then wait for Next% v2 and get that one? I am pretty sure they will make minor updates every year for the next few years (its a no-brainer for Nike to do this) and you can always get the previous years model at a good discount,. Just a thought...but if its really between the two by the Next%. :)

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pic?
I'm at several hundred miles.
The one pair i had an issue with, nike replaced, free after like 4 months (but i bought from them)
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nike gave me the money back for one pair (part of the reason why I am returning as a customer) so I don't have the ability to take a pic. My first pair I glued the sole back on and used it as a training shoe for a while but it ended up peeling again. I can post a pic later if you really want to see.

My thought is as soon as the next% comes out the 4% will likely be discounted so I guess that's another deciding factor.
Last edited by: Blizzard: May 10, 19 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I got 600 miles from my Zoom Peg 35s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the first version of Peg Turbos were better than current ones. I got them on the first day and the zoom foam was a lot more softer/cushion. They lasted a long time (maybe 300mi). I got a 2nd pair, but the Zoom is WAY more firmer. I still run in them, but they are definitely different.

I've run in the last few versions of the VF 4%'s and Zoomfly's. I think the better upgrade was from Zoomfly 1 to 2. 1 was super stiff/firm, but fast. VF 4% v. 1 had a better upper than the flyiknit in my opinion. I got a blister with the flyknit version. :) I think the Next% will be better as it matches better with v.1.

I'd wait for Next% or find some cheaper v.1's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if you are a triathlete or have races in wet areas, it may be worth waiting for next% with the new tops as it handles moisture better. Otherwise, I doubt it is a significant performance improvement but time will tell.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blizzard wrote:
Nike gave me the money back for one pair (part of the reason why I am returning as a customer) so I don't have the ability to take a pic. My first pair I glued the sole back on and used it as a training shoe for a while but it ended up peeling again. I can post a pic later if you really want to see.

My thought is as soon as the next% comes out the 4% will likely be discounted so I guess that's another deciding factor.

Personally, I'd just save the money and get the 4%.. if maximum bang for the buck is your goal here. People are selling Vaporflys unused in the box for $200 on various places, plus you can just buy the 4% currently at a lot of places. When the Next% comes out it'll be $275 and likely sell out quickly.

I do hear, however, that the Next% is better for water resistance with the upper. That interests me for triathlon since somehow I always end up soaking wet at the end of those longer events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe wait for the Next% and then buy/try both?

Nike has a great no-questions-asked 30 day return policy. Use can use them both and then decide which (if any) to keep.

As for the peeling, keep in mind that Nike has a two year warranty on their shoes.

I’m getting a pair of the Next% to try when they come out this summer. I’m hoping for a different colorway though, haha!!

You will never, in your life, have a chance like this again.
If I were you, I would not pass this up. I would not let this go by...this is rare.
Come on...what harm??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blizzard wrote:
Question in subject line. Currently gone through multiple pairs of pegasus turbos where the sole peels away at ~100 miles.

Or buy the new Hoka Carbon X, much more stable...
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally would go the Hoka route if they could make a halfway decent looking shoe...I know, the look shouldn't matter but it does
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [jf64k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's a good idea. Although I'm without a solid race running shoe after sending back the turbos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Blizzard wrote:

I am thinking about the Hoka

Have you run in it and the 4% to compare?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never used Nike shoes for running prior to the VaporFly. In fact, typically run in low drop shoes.

Having said that... Wow, wow, wow for the VaporFly.

No thoughts on the next, but the VaporFly is well worth it (at least for me).

Hope that helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Blizzard wrote:

But such a different drop and not as soft of a shoe. Since going to Pegasus for training and vapour fly for racing I prefer the large drop. Apart from having a carbon plate there is no comparison between the shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been running in the Zoom Fly SP for a couple of month, these are the best training shoes I have ever owned. I was in the Nike outlet across from the Phoenix Coyotes arena and they had them marked down to $55 and when I got to the till they rang them up at $35, needless to say I bought a few pairs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the tongueless design and the loop on the back of the 4% -- makes it better for transition/triathlon IMO. I'm doubtful the features of the Next% will be as awesome as the marketing spin makes them out to be.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have not had that problem with my Turbos. The Turbo, Zoom Flyknit, and 4% all run very differently. I can’t use the 4%, way too unstable for me. I feel like I’ll roll my ankle. I’ve been racing in the ZF, a little better for me than the 4%, and the cusion level seems to help on tarmac (like Oceanside 70.3). The Peg Turbo is the best underfoot for me, still pretty light. I’m still getting most of my training with those. I’m told the Next will be better underfoot (?)
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [Danmelbre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully related question - if someone hadn't run in Nikes for a very long time but might be interested in a 4%/next in the future what are good Nike models to help figure out fit and generally if you might like them?

I know I could just buy one and return it but Nike are making interesting shoes now and I can always use a new running shoe. Is the Zoom Fly the obvious answer? Is a Pegasus 35 too different to learn anything from? You can get those at a discount now and they seem well though of hence the interest.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not an expert. I have found so much different in models over the years, and changes within models. The Zoom Pegasus is a long-time model that would be good to try. It’s on model 35, that’s a lot of shoes. It’s sturdier than the purer racers, but still very light. I’m not as sure about other Nikes for training miles. I’ve been bouncing around makes over the last few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The zoom fly is intended to be the step down from vaporfly as it has a plate. pegs have the foam but not the plate.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd get the zoom fly. I'm not that pleased with the pegasus turbo, the hoka napali (rip) is a better and faster training shoe than the turbo imo. Everybody seems to be pretty happy with the zoom fly, that will prob be my next purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pokey wrote:
I have been running in the Zoom Fly SP for a couple of month, these are the best training shoes I have ever owned. I was in the Nike outlet across from the Phoenix Coyotes arena and they had them marked down to $55 and when I got to the till they rang them up at $35, needless to say I bought a few pairs.

I wrote about this in the Hoka Rincon thread (I started): Just an (odd) update. I happened to go to Nike Outlet to get my son some sneakers. I have NEVER been a fan of Nike shoes (the only Nike I recall liking is the OG LunarTrainer). But they had a pair of Zoom Fly SP on the clearance rack. At $46, I figured "why not."

I have 4 runs in (about 40k) and they are exactly what I wanted. They seem cushioney...but also responsive and FAST! I ran three days in a row and had almost no soreness at all. If these things last, I might become a hoarder. It's a little early, but these have sky-rocketed to my vaunted "favorite shoe of all time" category.

I now have maybe > 100K on these and purchased two other pair. So far, it's my favorite show and the fact that you can get it from anywhere from $35 to $85, depending on your luck, it's just that much better.
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [smartyiak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of you clearly do not know what shoe your talking about. You said “discount” and “Vaporfly” in the same sentence. You wont find these for a discount. TBH I think the aftermarket for the Vaporfly 4% flyknit will surge because of the flyknit fitting some people better and the thinner upper of the Next% working better for others. It’s not cut and dried. They seem like two different fitting shoes like the mesh and flyknit versions of the 4% were.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Buy the Nike 4% or wait for the Next%? [Runninglab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next