Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hip Flexor Strain
Quote | Reply
Self diagnosed this, but pretty sure I have some level of hip flexor strain in left front hip. Cycling, swimming, and weight training doesn’t seem to aggravate it— but running past 2-3 miles does. Any suggestions? Discontinue running for a few weeks? (I stopped for 1.5 weeks, but didn’t help when I tried running around 8 miles...only made it to 4.5). Push through it? Any exercises that has helped others? Just hate not running after building momentum and distance. TY
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Flexor Strain [Pnwxswtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to my world.

I wouldn't "push through it", but rather if you must still run, definitely do some more stretching, rolling, message, yoga, strength/band work, etc assuming you aren't already. This has certainly helped me.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can still run. But you need to strengthen the tendon. Stand on a tight band with your right foot. Put the left foot inside the band and raise your knee slowly upwards. Find the point where it aggravates the tendon and work 5sec really slowly past that point and down again. Repeat again and again for something like 3x8 reps 3 times a day. Heavy and slow is the way to go.

Also, it could be worth giving your hamstrings some work. They work as hip extenders during running, so you would need work like Nordic hamstring or negatives in a leg curl machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this two years ago. What helped me was: letting the inflammation subside as stretching and trying to strengthen it was only setting the healing back longer. Work the shit out of your glutes and hamstrings, they are probably very tight.

My biggest piece of advice is to leave the hip flexor alone until it’s ready to be stretched and strengthened.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Re: Hip Flexor Strain [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TY. I’ve pushed through before and ended up tearing my calf, so my logical brain says to lay off...but the part that’s determined hasn’t gone into acceptance mode. I appreciate the post- TY!
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Flexor Strain [jakesaunders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you run at all when letting the pain subside? I was thinking pool running, but that’s just pure torture for me. So boring.
TY for the info. I did get a sports massage and my hamstrings were super tight/congested. Strengthening those sounds key. I appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Flexor Strain [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TY for the recommendations- I will definitely start wrapping those in. I appreciate it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't do any activity that aggravated it. You need to let the inflammation die down before you continue to try and stress it. If you keep irritating your hip flexor by running it will take a lot longer to heal. Believe me, I know it's hard to stop running but long-term it's the best option.

When this happened to me I was of the mindset that I needed to stretch my hips multiple times throughout the day, strengthen my hips flexors etc. but I was really just continuing to set myself back.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Re: Hip Flexor Strain [jakesaunders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was noticing stretching was aggravating it, so I laid off on that. Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pnwxswtri wrote:
I was noticing stretching was aggravating it, so I laid off on that. Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.

I strained my Psoas a few years back. Rest was the only thing that worked. One small tip. I did find rolling it on a 10lb rubber med ball was great. A lacrosse ball and foam roller could not touch it. The med ball is tall enough to lay on and get pressure.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip Flexor Strain [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thank you. My massage therapist was wondering if it was the psoas. We worked on it, but with little improvement. I need to get one of those lacrosse balls...it’s not the first time I’ve heard those are better than tennis balls and foam rollers for certain things.
How did you know when to go back to running? How did you approach going back? TY!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first, how sure are you it is the hip flexor.
did you try doing a 'Thomas Test' ? with an ankle weight?

any way, for a strain I would not start any deep tissue massage until the inflammation is well under control. then maybe start with some straight leg raises. go easy and only lift a few inches off the floor. if that works and you see improvement then try up to 60*, then advance to using some light ankle weights.

good luck