Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Noisy Speed Concept
Quote | Reply
I had my LBS swap out my near-high stem for a mid-far. New monospacer and the additional +5 spacer. The bike was also re-cabled. When I got it back, the front end was incredibly noisy in motion. I cannot reproduce the noise except when riding, and consequently it's hard to locate. I think it's creaking at a contact point, but it could also be an internal rattle.

I took the bike back to LBS. I did not get to talk to the mechanic about it at pick-up. When I got back on the road, the problem remained, with absolutely no change. I'd like to give them some helpful suggestions when I return the bike. But again, I can't exactly locate the noise to a specific spot. And my own mechanical abilities do not extend much beyond the ability to change a flat.

Anyone have a similar problem, or could venture a guess at what might be happening? The noise is loud and incredibly annoying.

Barrett
Quote Reply
Re: Noisy Speed Concept [SoonerMagic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could just be the way they re cabled it, the housing might be positioned such that it is rubbing/creaking whenever the bars are turned at all....
Quote Reply
Re: Noisy Speed Concept [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bingo,....mine does this. Di2 wiring makes noises even when on the straight, just hits inside the frame etc. Bars creak a bit despite new bolts and lube. I have just learned to live with having a relatively noisy bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can see where the housing enters the top tube and identify where it is rubbing, could also be where it exits the bars, you can try applying something like some silicone lube where it is making contact with something else, should help a bit.
Its also possible that your LBS cut the new housing a little shorter than before, making the bends tighter and more likely to rub. Is your handlebar harder to turn compared to before?
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: May 14, 19 3:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tagging along... I've got a mystery creak as well. I've rebuilt my front end, tightened, greased, etc. but it still creaks.
Quote Reply
Re: Noisy Speed Concept [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience, its never where it sounds like its coming from. Put some carbon paste on the seat post and lube your QR's.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Noisy Speed Concept [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Tagging along... I've got a mystery creak as well. I've rebuilt my front end, tightened, greased, etc. but it still creaks.

Every time I thought a creak was in my front end it turned out to be in the BB area.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. I really hope I can figure this one out and don't just end up living with it. The bike was beautifully quiet for the first two years. I paid too much for this thing for it to sound like a motorcycle on the road. Sort of ruins the zen of gliding down a country road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you describe the sounds ?
Eg is it a creak ? Or a 'click clack' ? Ir a scraping sound ? Or a gritty sound ?
Worse when hitting a bump ?
Is it in sync with pedalling ?
Dos it do it both on aero extensions and when on base bar ?
Anything cadence- related ?
When stood up ?
Left-pedalling only ? Right pedalling only ?
Quote Reply
Re: Noisy Speed Concept [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. To my ear, it sounds like two hard plastic pieces rubbing against each other or vibrating against each other. I have, however, put my hand while riding on all of the various joints and contact points of the front end to see if I can stabilize them to make the sound stop temporarily, or just feel the vibration. No luck.

2. It certainly creaks more and more loudly on rough roads. Sounds sometimes like the bike might come apart. But even on comparatively smooth stretches, the noise is nearly constant.

3. it is not correlated to cadence or pedal stroke.

4. Creaks on both the base bar and extensions.

5. You didn't ask, but someone else did: the steering is not overly tight. I can turn the wheel with no tightness or restriction.

Thanks again everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a creaking noise? If so I had the same problem.....

Got a 2019 Project 1 SC its exactly 6 months old. Base bar started to creak loudly when I was riding so I took it back to the shop. The problem was not the base bar.....the head set bearings were bad after 6 months of mainly indoor riding. I was very disappointed. The shop said the bearings in the SC are tiny and the factory grease on them isn't that great at keeping moisture out. They replaced the bearings and used a better grease. Total cost $66 to fix the problem I asked them if I should plan on this problem every 6 months and they said that depends on the environment, rain, sweat, etc however the size of the bearings is a problem in its self.

I'm not an engineer or do I turn a wrench on any of my bikes but it makes me wonder if my 2011 Madone that has a bushing in the headset and no bearing, I have had no problems with in 8 years, a TT bike doesn't make a lot of sharp turns, so why does the SC have such small bearings to begin with is beyond me and not something like a bushing? Of course another mystery about SC is why would trek use anything but stainless steel on any fittings is beyond me too because a TT bike is going to get wet and rust.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As said by others - bike noises are odd and tend not to be coming from where you think they are.

I had a rattle on the front end of my Scott Foil - took it all apart, put it back - still as bad - turns out it was a bottle cage bolt had come loose................just the way the sound travels.

Anyway - my advice would be to work through the bike back to front - check each part / bolt is as tight or not as it's meant to be - you may find a surprise.
Quote Reply