Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bike tariffs slam bike market
Quote | Reply
Dang, some scary info from Bicycle Retailer mag:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/...9011667#.XNjYQi-ZNQJ

An executive with one major U.S. IBD brand said the tariffs will be "devastating for the USA and China bicycle businesses."

I guess if one is looking for a bike, one that is manufactured in china (lots of high-end bikes are), better get it asap ... before the crazy price increases kick in.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 13, 19 9:19
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tariffs slam bike market [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep - I head a story on NPR over the weekend how they estimate prices will go up by around 20%. Not a huge deal on a $100 bike, but for top end stuff the tariffs could had a couple thousand!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tariffs slam bike market [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not too many top end bikes made in China. There are some but an athlete will have plenty of top quality choices at current prices ( still too high :-) )

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tariffs slam bike market [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering how small tri is and the athlete turn over.. just buy used. Much more sustainable environmentally
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tariffs slam bike market [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But what about when 13 speed comes out? Gonna need that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And here's the contrasting article at the same website by the same author. Pick your viewpoint...
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/...ncrease#.XNm3R9h7m00

The gist is that good or bad is based largely on whether someone views international trade in a short-term or long-term perspective and whether someone believes that China competes fairly. If there is a nation that subsidizes a segment of the market in order to drive out competition in another nation, then tariffs are a very, very good thing for that other nation.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tariffs slam bike market [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Yep - I head a story on NPR over the weekend how they estimate prices will go up by around 20%. Not a huge deal on a $100 bike, but for top end stuff the tariffs could had a couple thousand!

People looking at a $100 bike may not be able to afford the extra $20. On the flip side, those of us with nice bikes likely can, but would just prefer not to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If bikes were made in the U.S.A, there wouldn't be a problem!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to look past the misogny, racism, emoluments clause violations, cronyism, and general buffoonery, but this a bridge too far.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tariffs slam bike market [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
I was able to look past the misogny, racism, emoluments clause violations, cronyism, and general buffoonery, but this a bridge too far.

Haha! Don't fuck with my hobbies.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tariffs slam bike market [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first pair of Nike were made in the USA...something I haven't seen since a kid. Cervelo had the P5X made here (maybe it still is?)...we have ABG who made the QR Ti frames. We have Dean in Colorado, there are numerous brands in the US. Not sure if Merlin is still around--but if more could be made here, that would be awesome.

Employ US folks, better distribution and warranty resolutions, we have HED, ZIPP, other wheel makers...yeah, we should build more top end carbon bikes here too. If we have the knowledge for Stealth tech, we should have enough for the bike industry. **Disclosure: I know nothing about making bikes, wheels, or their costs or QC...just stating a wish list to avoid tariffs.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tariffs slam bike market [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
If bikes were made in the U.S.A, there wouldn't be a problem!
That statement might be less pink than you know... and apply to a whole lot more than our cycling toys.

"I know the challenges this county's up against. Here's the thing about those discount suppliers. They don't care. They come in, they undercut everything, and they run us out of business, and then, once we're all gone, they jack up the prices." - Michael Scott, Dunder Mifflin Paper Company
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tariffs slam bike market [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is not a problem for the enthusiasts here. As the article makes clear, this is only likely to affect entry level, mass-market, department store or kid's bikes. Anything mid-tier or higher is generally made in Taiwan and unaffected by these tariffs. Similarly, most good components are not made in China. For example, Shimano makes most everything in Malaysia.
Last edited by: hiro11: May 13, 19 14:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we’ll survive.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tariffs slam bike market [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, but my 2011 n.P3 was made in China.

Where are most tri Cervelos (except P5X) made these days?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tariffs slam bike market [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
My first pair of Nike were made in the USA...something I haven't seen since a kid. Cervelo had the P5X made here (maybe it still is?)...we have ABG who made the QR Ti frames. We have Dean in Colorado, there are numerous brands in the US. Not sure if Merlin is still around--but if more could be made here, that would be awesome.

Employ US folks, better distribution and warranty resolutions, we have HED, ZIPP, other wheel makers...yeah, we should build more top end carbon bikes here too. If we have the knowledge for Stealth tech, we should have enough for the bike industry. **Disclosure: I know nothing about making bikes, wheels, or their costs or QC...just stating a wish list to avoid tariffs.
Carbon frame manufacturing is far more capital intensive than most metal bike manufacturing. Also, the economies of scale in carbon manufacturing are very powerful. The supply chain and necessary scale for high end carbon frame manufacturing is all in Asia these days (primarily Taiwan). In addition, the skilled labor and engineering prowess is also all in Asia these days. American carbon frames would either be lower quality or vastly more expensive than comparable Asian frames.

Speaking of "stealth" (and to get political here), tariffs are nothing more than a politically palatable way to support US companies by levying a tax on American consumers. We the consumers are ALWAYS losers with tariffs. Politicians like to pretend it's a free lunch. Tariffs are almost always value destructive and inefficient. If you want to help American companies, it would be more efficient to just give them money, like the Chinese do.
Last edited by: hiro11: May 13, 19 14:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess since the US government ‘s official stance is the “one China policy” this also applies to Taiwan stuff too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

China, all aside from the P5X and RCa have been for a long time
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tariffs slam bike market [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek also makes about 90% of their bikes in China.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Sure, but my 2011 n.P3 was made in China.

And its not just Cervelo. I've seen several other popular brands being made in Chinese factories I've visited...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tariffs slam bike market [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Trek also makes about 90% of their bikes in China.

Some of the high end bikes will be ok as they're made in Taiwan at Giant. But they do a lot of carbon at Quest in China.
If it turns out that Taiwan is exempt Trek would have the option of spreading the increases across models so it's a lower percentage. Or they may already have booked their future production in Taiwan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
If it turns out that Taiwan is exempt Trek would have the option of spreading the increases across models so it's a lower percentage. Or they may already have booked their future production in Taiwan

Why would Taiwan be affected by Chinese tarrifs? They're not the same country.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike tariffs slam bike market [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:

Why would Taiwan be affected by Chinese tarrifs? They're not the same country.

The US government doesn't formally recognise Taiwan as a separate country. Though they do negotiate with them separately from China.
Last I heard Taiwan was not exempt from the tariffs on steel and aluminium, but I don't follow the issue all that closely as I'm not in the USA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh wow, I didn't know that! Of course, two places with a tied history, but very distinct places with their own systems of government, and economies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard that a lot of these Chinese companies moved their production to Vietnam. Not sure how many, maybe the rest after this latest round. So we get our cheap bikes, China gets all the profits, and Vietnam gets badly need jobs..Winners all around!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next