Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Taren addresses his haters [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He at least produces content, like it or not.

------
Daily content is f'ing hard as hell to produce....Actually let me correct that GOOD daily content is f'ing hard to produce. I have no idea how he fills a daily vlog, I think I only hear about the "outlier" stuff, and then about well he said this fade was the best and then 4 months later changes to this fade, etc etc.

I was having a conversation with a coach just last weekend about how "social media" plays into all these coaching/training groups, etc. (itu focused groups). It seemed to be concluded that it's helpful to have content available and accessible for the athletes, but that "daily" content sorta turned into groundhog day; of course that's what you get when your talking about swim/bike/run, it's only so much you can do or so much excitement you can make training look.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol.....Obviously you never had use the solestars neither understand why professionals use them. Inner carbon soles on cycling shoes can help you avoid injuries in your ankles and knees besides making your pedal stroke more powerful. You are better off with a pair of those soles than an aero helmet.
I do not like Taren content (Not him personally) but I dislike him even more for sharing that secret.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [rwurbina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rwurbina wrote:
lol.....Obviously you never had use the solestars neither understand why professionals use them. Inner carbon soles on cycling shoes can help you avoid injuries in your ankles and knees besides making your pedal stroke more powerful. You are better off with a pair of those soles than an aero helmet.
I do not like Taren content (Not him personally) but I dislike him even more for sharing that secret.

Clearly I'm not good at recognizing sarcasm on here... because I could swear you're being serious here, but you can't be....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except that Ben Greenfield is (was) actually fast. And his podcast intro music is awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [fitzkickjr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fitzkickjr wrote:
Except that Ben Greenfield is (was) actually fast. And his podcast intro music is awesome!

Yeah, but the world will never know whether he was actually fast *because* of the crazy shit he did, or *in spite* of it.

I'm solidly in the latter camp regarding that snake oil salesman.
Somebody being "fast" often means exactly dick in terms of whether they know WTF they are doing.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The blogging world does seem to be a bit of a game. If you can't compete on the content front, you have to be prepared to sell your soul for clicks or ad money.

Youtubers like DR seem to resort to clickbait'ing to pump up the views. Post a review of a wheel set you might get a number of watches if it is done well, add in a bit of a soap opera and watch the clicks climb. Of course most media outlets require a level of sponsorship and some is more discreet than others as long as it doesn't suppress info on other new tech being put out there generally I can cope with it.

As mentioned before someone I know who is well below pro level uses social media to get a variety of sponsors. To do so he pretty much lies through his teeth. This weekend he was flown to Greece by the race organisers to race the Spets sprint triathlon. He has vlogged how the race was filled with Olympic athletes, pro's and elites. He finished 13th with the 2nd fastest run. Knowing he is a 36min 10k runner a quick review of the results shows that it wasn't the stellar field he has stated. The age gap between the winner was a junior that would have been 12 at the last Olympics and the bronze medallist was 63. Obviously all his sponsors including some big name brands are happy enough with his lies if they think he might help sell their products. Though it is kind of results doping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't watched many of his videos. They just weren't informative, no real specific info, he just babbled. One video I watched he spent 10mins talking about his dog and how cold it was. He seems to come across OK though, he just needs a bit more triathlon focus/relevance and to drop that nauseating "trainiacs" phrase. So dorky.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
karmatraining wrote:
When I first started tri back in 2010, Ben Greenfield (this was his pre magnetic bracelet phase)

Also followed him for a bit, but he's all-in on every pseudoscience fad and is pushing anti-vaxx now.

Whoa, is that for real? Greenfield is promoting anti-vax? WTF?
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
HardlyTrying wrote:
karmatraining wrote:
When I first started tri back in 2010, Ben Greenfield (this was his pre magnetic bracelet phase)

Also followed him for a bit, but he's all-in on every pseudoscience fad and is pushing anti-vaxx now.

yep. Links a Mercola article to prove his view.

Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
HardlyTrying wrote:
karmatraining wrote:

Dude that guy was pushing super sketchy male enhancement products even before that. WTF x 1000
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
point of order:

when did adults start using the word "haters" to mean "critics?"

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
point of order:

When they confused themselves with teenage girls...
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or when they are non native English speakers who might have misunderstood the full meaning of the word?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
point of order:

When things move beyond just posting criticisms of inaccuracy in content, to the point of becoming obsessive-compulsive in the endless repetition and piling on of the same stuff over and over, to a degree that's way out of proportion to the content creator's actual position in the industry, and when that obsessive repetition becomes tinged with personal attacks that have nothing to do with the accuracy of the content.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
point of order:

When things move beyond just posting criticisms of inaccuracy in content, to the point of becoming obsessive-compulsive in the endless repetition and piling on of the same stuff over and over, to a degree that's way out of proportion to the content creator's actual position in the industry, and when that obsessive repetition becomes tinged with personal attacks that have nothing to do with the accuracy of the content.

pretty much this. I've been pretty critical of some of his content in the past (specifically on the swim), but I do try to temper that criticism with pointing out what I think he gets right. (Notice that I haven't talked about his recent video where he talks about Lucy Charles' swim stroke, because I feel like a broken record). Suffice to say, that video sends the wrong message and completely missed the mark. OTOH, he did one that is VERY beginner relevant on "how to fix sinky legs" that I thought was pretty good.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a little Taren goes a long way.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since sometime around the 2000s and peaking around 2010.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/haters-gonna-hate

iron_mike wrote:
point of order:

Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just shake it off...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply