Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Shiv TT Spotted in Giro 2019 Opening TT Stage
Quote | Reply
Just spotted this on CyclingNews, a number of riders were on a new UCI-legal Shiv TT for the Giro's opening time trial.

It's basically exactly as anyone would anticipate from the recent Shiv and Venge models; low seatstays, fat-blade forks, aero seat post and *dun dun dun* DISCS BRAKES. Thank goodness it doesn't have that ludicrous fairing thing though.

I wonder if they'll try to charge $20000 for this one...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ted-at-giro-ditalia/
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv TT Spotted in Giro 2019 Opening TT Stage [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The seattube and rear end look very odd. In a bad way.

Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv TT Spotted in Giro 2019 Opening TT Stage [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rear stays and seat tube look similar to the Shiv Tri Disc. Need some better pics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

I wonder why the seat tube area under the seat stay junction isn't more "filled in"?

Speaking of the seat stay junction...that looks really low as compared to the UCI regs (at least by my eye)...

edit: Hmmm...I'm now wondering if they're utilizing the "fillet triangle" at that junction? That seems a bit "against the spirit" of the specification to me...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: May 13, 19 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv TT Spotted in Giro 2019 Opening TT Stage [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Speaking of the seat stay junction...that looks really low as compared to the UCI regs (at least by my eye).
They must have gotten it approved somehow and it looks really low (too low).

The Shiv Tri has the box on the back, so the seattube doesn't need to be deep. But on the TT it just looks wrong. I suspect this was kinda cobbled together for teams using disc brakes and won't see production.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Speaking of the seat stay junction...that looks really low as compared to the UCI regs (at least by my eye).

The Shiv Tri has the box on the back, so the seattube doesn't need to be deep. But on the TT it just looks wrong. I suspect this was kinda cobbled together for teams using disc brakes and won't see production.

...except, on the Shiv Tri it actually is "filled in" with seat tube in the area between the BB, seatstays, and rear tire. The "fairing box" behind the seat post appears to begin right at the seat stay junction on that...so, dunno...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
rruff wrote:

I wonder why the seat tube area under the seat stay junction isn't more "filled in"?

Speaking of the seat stay junction...that looks really low as compared to the UCI regs (at least by my eye)...

edit: Hmmm...I'm now wondering if they're utilizing the "fillet triangle" at that junction? That seems a bit "against the spirit" of the specification to me...

My first thought after seeing that open area below the stays was wondering if it was done to allow the seat tube box to be moved a bit forward, therefore allowing the seatstays to connect a little lower to the actual seat tube. I didn't even consider the "fillets", but in combination that could allow for some pretty low stays...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It definitely doesn't share much with the Shiv Tri. The top part of the seattube is shallower on the Tri, and I'm pretty sure the wide Kamm downtube from the Tri isn't used either. Wish someone had gotten better photos. Maybe this really is the new Shiv TT? If so, I don't get it... but I didn't get the Shiv Tri either. Seems like they could have just put aerobars on the Venge and it would have been better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
rruff wrote:

That cutout is for the battery on the Turbo Shivevo TT that will be sold to consumers...

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

My first thought was that it looks low too. Going against the spirit hasn't worked well for them before (Nosy Shiv)
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv TT Spotted in Giro 2019 Opening TT Stage [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

My first thought was that it looks low too. Going against the spirit hasn't worked well for them before (Nosy Shiv)

Except this time there's a pre-approval process...which it had to go through before being used (no sticker, no ride). Would love to see the explanation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Except this time there's a pre-approval process...which it had to go through before being used (no sticker, no ride). Would love to see the explanation.

Pre-approved under the current rules doesn't preclude a later amendment. Refer Transition and Nosy Shiv. With their history I'm surprised Specialized would want to push the boundary again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if they found something in the tunnel regarding spinning legs and the use of a disc wheel that that space doesn’t need to be filled or something. To save weight or it’s better aerodynamically. I have no idea just a crazy theory.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv TT Spotted in Giro 2019 Opening TT Stage [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as an aside, they would be due for a new
Lid soon you’d think too
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv TT Spotted in Giro 2019 Opening TT Stage [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting stuff!

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: Jun 24, 19 9:45
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv TT Spotted in Giro 2019 Opening TT Stage [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
I don't usually comment on new rigs any more, since I'm way biased. But I truly feel like anything without a telescoping front end is just outmoded. As in, big props to the P5-disc and P3-X, those are very very nice rides. Everyone else should be licensing the tech from Cervelo (or TriRig) or otherwise developing their own telescoping front end. Once you've used one of those, everything else is just *wrong* -- like trying to go back to a 73-degree seat tube on a tri bike.

I would love to see a mono riser/ telescopic bar with the custom aero extensions like speedbar one or the ones on Yates's TT rig at the Giro.
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv TT Spotted in Giro 2019 Opening TT Stage [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious, do you and Cervelo have different patents for telescoping cockpits? If yes, are they publicly shared?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tubes all look extremely thin (and lightweight) to me. If it is as light as it looks it would be great for that stage. It's really interesting to me because it actually looks less beefy than the pre-2013 Slice.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe they're going to put a giant "race number holder" back there in the shape of a Shiv Tri water fairing...

Tom A. wrote:
rruff wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

...except, on the Shiv Tri it actually is "filled in" with seat tube in the area between the BB, seatstays, and rear tire. The "fairing box" behind the seat post appears to begin right at the seat stay junction on that...so, dunno...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Didn’t the nosecone Shiv win world championships? That seems to be a good measure of success

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv TT Spotted in Giro 2019 Opening TT Stage [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:

Didn’t the nosecone Shiv win world championships? That seems to be a good measure of success

I was solely referring to the rules 'clarification' that followed the release of that bike. Although maybe that was anticipated as it was quickly dialled back to the fully legal version.
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv TT Spotted in Giro 2019 Opening TT Stage [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Curious, do you and Cervelo have different patents for telescoping cockpits? If yes, are they publicly shared?

If there are patents, then by definition the patent information is public. That is the very purpose of patenting something, it allows an entity to publicly share the details of how something is designed and constructed but still protect the invention from being used by others (for a specified period of time).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv TT Spotted in Giro 2019 Opening TT Stage [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patent applications stay non-public for the first year though. An application is often enough to prevent a competitor from moving into your space and that year of it being private prevents them from figuring out how to design around it for that period of time. Of course there is always the possibility an application is rejected eventually.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv TT Spotted in Giro 2019 Opening TT Stage [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Patent applications stay non-public for the first year though. An application is often enough to prevent a competitor from moving into your space and that year of it being private prevents them from figuring out how to design around it for that period of time. Of course there is always the possibility an application is rejected eventually.

Yes, you are right of course. I just figured to simplify the main purpose and availability of granted patents, especially those in the usa. That said, I am not an attorney, but I have read up a bit on the many potential zig zags of the patent journey ...

Greg

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jun 23, 19 9:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had this bike on the velodrome in Mallorca back in December for testing and I can tell you that it's fast. The seat tube and stays are interesting and the first time I saw it I really had to hand it to the team at Specialized for going so wildly off script.. the whole seat tube/BB area violates all of the visual wind tunnel rules, which certainly led to some interesting doubts/discussions with the riders as they too expect things to look a certain way!

I'll be interested to see how they choose to market the bike and these features as this will undoubtedly be the first question/rejection of the design by everybody who sees it.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply

Prev Next