Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Skate Rollerskis for Novice [toddstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this information. Very useful. I'm hoping I can start rolling skiing in a couple of months!
toddstr wrote:
FWIW I am on Marwe and the kids are on Swenor. Everyone is satisfied. I don't doubt the other makes/ models are great too.

Personally, I would be leery of roller skiing anytime soon after back surgery. Perhaps you are looking months ahead and I am unnecessarily worried. I didn't grow up on nordic skis and it sounds like you didn't either. I am not very agile; you likely have a better starting point. Over the years, I have worked my way into wave 2 Birkie, may or may not ultimately get into wave 1. And still I am a cautious roller skier. Also, there is a good chance that you are more brave than me.

I echo the sentiment about skill over fitness. Yes, partly because finesse beats brute effort across snow. Just like swimming. But also for simple safety. If you try hard, you will fall hard.

My approach to off season ski training is to use roller skiing for technique only. Swim or use ski erg for upper body fitness. Run or bike, or use stair machine, for lower body fitness.

I count on falling every time. Usually I fall when I am really trying to prolong glide on one ski, catch a pebble, go down. These are low speed tumbles and I have never gotten more hurt than a little scrape.

You didn't ask for this advice, but here it is anyway. (These tips came from a helpful middle aged non competitive saint of a woman who educated me nicely for 30 minutes one day. It was a pivotal moment for me.)

find a small safe area of flat smooth pavement, like the corner of a quiet parking lot
--balance on one boot, no skis, reach down and touch the ground, 10x, repeat both sides
--stand on one boot without ski, put second boot into ski, return to put first boot into ski, if you sit on your butt then you are not ready
--stand on two skis, do 20x little up and down hops
--stand on two skis, do 20x little hops rotating from 11 o clock to 1 o clock, then do 9 to 3, then do 180s, then try a 360
--stand on two skis, get feet a little wider than shoulder width, turn tips in about 3-5 degrees, do 10 quick stutter steps in place, this is your basic stop technique
--now, skate about 5-10 strides slowly, and do the stutter stop, repeat many times gradually getting more speed
--now, skate about 10 strides perpendicular toward the grassy edge, transition to jog when the wheels bog down in the grass
--skate in a large figure 8 for 5 minutes, then make it smaller and tighter
--skate about 50 meters moving left and right around cones of an imaginary slalom
--learn to skate backward
--learn to do froggies

find a couple of miles of good pavement and flat terrain, enjoy yourself

winter is too short (for most of us), you can easily have a positive impact on your skiing with off-snow off-season activities
Quote Reply
Re: Skate Rollerskis for Novice [wld] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll keep this in mind. I think I want to give roller skis a shot. I can borrow a few and try them out before buying. If it's too overwhelming, then inline skates may be apropos until I develop sufficient skill. But, if possible, I'd like to use the roller skis not only for a good workout, but also to hone my skiing skills.
wld wrote:
I have been a ski racer and rollerskier for 40+ years, currently coach kids rollerskiing at my club. I actually love rollerskiing, because we have nice bike paths, and closed hilly roads to access in a nearby park (that are groomed for skiing in the winter). Based on what I have seen of parents in our club trying to learn to rollerski, I would agree with jt10000, and get inline skates with slower wheels. You could even use rollerski wheels (https://jenex.com/product/w98rm-w98rs/). Inline skates are way easier to use, and much safer since the go over holes/cracks/rocks without a sudden stop. I would also remove the rocker from the wheels. If you decide you like rollerskiing you could try real rollerskis in the future. FYI in the early 80's before modern skate skiing we used rollerblades to train marathon skating, since we only had classic rollerskis that didn't work well with the skating motion.
Quote Reply
Re: Skate Rollerskis for Novice [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Competitive skier here. About 50% of my training time in the summer is on roller-skis.
I find it boring and fairly dangerous. You have to be focussed 200% of the time
and pay attention to the road (pavement, pot holes, pebbles, etc.) and crazy drivers. There's
very little margin for error.

My take on it:
- roller-skiing will feel completely different unless you get top of the line roller-skis that have similar
wheel-speed as skis
- if you are trying to learn skating technique on strange roller-skis (ie, big wheels, wide wheels,
slow wheels, etc.) it will feel nothing like skiing. You may even pick up some bad habits that
may be hard(er) to fix on snow
- MOST importantly: a risk of injury due to falling (or a crazy driver knocking you over) is NOT
worth it, especially if you are older (longer healing time). I've seen some gnarly elbow,
knee and hip injuries that don't heal well.
- better to learn skiing on snow (and then transition to roller-skiing) than the other way around

If you want to be training for skiing, I would say that pole bounding (or nordic walking, walking with poles)
is very underrated activity.

In short: not worth the risk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Came across these on CL today: https://vermont.craigslist.org/...ller/6886851078.html

My search continues!
Quote Reply
Re: Skate Rollerskis for Novice [JDinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kinda cool, but I can't find anything about them. And on the Jenex website, the Nordixc are classic ski only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the #1 way to spend your money on improvement in XC skiing is joining a training group with a coach.

It's easy to get fixated on gear in XC skiing. However, gear is less important than you think. Getting fit & having good technique will trump equipment every day.

I'm a bit gear obssessed in XC skiing (8+ pairs of racing skis, fluoro wax, rollerskis, etc..) and I routinely get beaten by a guy with one pair of ten year old skis. He's just a fitter and better skier than me. My better skis can't make up the difference.

XC skiing is not a sport you can teach yourself. The only way to learn technique is from a coach (trust me).

Joining a training group gets you out the door and gets you access to a coach. The social aspect is important in XC skiing. I've never met a lone wolf XC skier; older athletes might train alone but they all started in a training group and learned fundamentals from a coach.

The $400 I spend a year on coaching is by far my best training investment. It trumps everything else by a mile.
Quote Reply
Re: Skate Rollerskis for Novice [xcskier66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this suggestion. While I'm eager to race, I need to work on technique this coming year. I realize that without technique, I'm spinning my wheels. With my bike racing background, I'm quite knowledgeable about training, and I'm good at it. I've had cycling coaches.

Where does one find a XC coach? The person who got me in to skiing was a former biathlete who almost made the USA Olympic squad. He gives me pointers and lessons. But for now I need summer training, and that will likely come from the gym, swimming, and stair climbing (the Manitou Incline is a wonderful outdoor version); running isn't an option with my decrepit lumbar spine. Cycling is still my primary sport, and I'm pretty good at it for a 57 year-old; I'm quite sad I'm missing Master Nationals this year, especially since it's in my hometown. Then again, I'm missing all road races this season sans 4 races, all of which I won in my age group.

I'm more than willing to wait on ski rollers. Come mid-July, I'll try them out from my friend. So now that the back pain has decreased to a manageable level, I'm ready for some PT and then balance/strength and cardio work. If I can do these workouts while addressing and improving my skate skiing then all the better! Would a coach be able to help?I live in Colorado Springs, CO. It's not a haven for skate skiing. But there's hope. I'm on the Board for the Woodmoor Nordic Center, a non-profit group trying to bring XC skiing to Southern Colorado; we groom trails on a golf course with a snowmobile when we have enough snow - some years are better than others.

Michael
xcskier66 wrote:
I think the #1 way to spend your money on improvement in XC skiing is joining a training group with a coach.

It's easy to get fixated on gear in XC skiing. However, gear is less important than you think. Getting fit & having good technique will trump equipment every day.

I'm a bit gear obssessed in XC skiing (8+ pairs of racing skis, fluoro wax, rollerskis, etc..) and I routinely get beaten by a guy with one pair of ten year old skis. He's just a fitter and better skier than me. My better skis can't make up the difference.

XC skiing is not a sport you can teach yourself. The only way to learn technique is from a coach (trust me).

Joining a training group gets you out the door and gets you access to a coach. The social aspect is important in XC skiing. I've never met a lone wolf XC skier; older athletes might train alone but they all started in a training group and learned fundamentals from a coach.

The $400 I spend a year on coaching is by far my best training investment. It trumps everything else by a mile.
Quote Reply

Prev Next