Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? May 13 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?
Moms of ST, I hope you had a good day yesterday. I know it can also be a hard day for infertile couples, people TTC, etc. so thinking of everyone (hugs)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goals:
do stuff that makes me faster (check)
use healthy coping skills (mostly... 5/7)

M: 5.4 mi run (w/ 2 mi @ 8:13 pace) + 625 yd swim
T: 6.3 mi run + 725 yd swim + 9.3 mi bike
W: 7 mi run + 825 yd swim
T: 9.8 mi run
F: 6.2 mi run + 675 yd swim
S: 4 mi run + 1575 yd swim
S: 10.3 mi outdoor run

totals 4225 yd swim, 9.3 mi bike, 49 mi run

Pleased w/ myself for the outdoor run. I always enjoy them more than I think I will. (I really love the treadmill - I find monotony soothing). My legs are sore from the hills, LOL.
will come back later w/ more specific goals. Generally frustrated at self for not using the healthy coping skills I spent years in therapy building and really can't get much beyond "just survive the day in a healthy way" right now.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ayyy, TC, thanks for starting us off early. Glad you're running outside, and sorry you're feeling frustrated with progress around mental health! It's definitely two steps forward, one step back sometimes. And sometimes one step forward, two steps back. I'm so glad that you're sharing on here.

I just went out this morning to try on my new clipless pedals and... ate it at the first stop sign. I fell on a blessedly cushy part of my hip, so I believe that I escaped injuries worse than bruises on my arse and ego. I went to a great bike store yesterday and they spent an hour teaching me how to do it on a trainer, so I had that. I've been avoiding making friends with local folks who are into this kind of stuff because I'm uncomfortable in athletic social circles, but the transition to clipless pedals warrants a search for in-person guidance. I'm checking out the local bike club.

I didn't meet all goals for last week. Work got crazy, exhaustion crept in, and I started feeling progressively worse after workouts rather than better. I'm taking a few days off, and then doing 3 runs, 4 short bikes to get used to the pedals and then maybe a longer ride at the weekend if I'm up for it, 2 swims, and 2 strength sessions.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry you're struggling right now Dr. TC. Sometimes, life is a battle. And making it to the sunrise of each next day intact is a victory. Take the victories where you can when you need them. And don't be afraid to call in reinforcements when you could use some extra firepower too. (((HUGS)))

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GiantNewb wrote:

I just went out this morning to try on my new clipless pedals and... ate it at the first stop sign. I fell on a blessedly cushy part of my hip, so I believe that I escaped injuries worse than bruises on my arse and ego..

Congrats, you've properly christened yourself as a cyclist!!

Now, prepare for that to happen about once a year from now until you hang up your cycling shoes ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday Ladies!

Last week had its ups and downs. Ups were seeing good friends and attending a wedding, and also getting in all of my workouts. Downs included the bittersweet get together on Friday night to honor our friend who lost his battle to cancer back in February, Mother's Day which is always rough on me, and the frustration of still not being able to move my toes and the intermittent pain in my foot. Onward.

Goals for this week: Onward.

M- 45min heavy lifting session and 1.5mi treadmill boot walk on incline.

So this is where I pause to tell you the story of a guy who came up to me in the weight room and wanted to be friends. And by wanting to be friends he tried to advise me to give up triathlon and training and "Just do what the good Lord intended you to do". It should surprise you that he left the building with all of his appendages and skin intact. However I gave him a serious verbal lashing. I'm still kind of shaking and pissed about the whole thing. The fucking nerve of some rando telling me what to do with myself after visually judging me for two minutes. Anyway.

Tu- 45min pool running and core
W- Function strength session, core, and 1.5mi treadmill walk on incline
Th- 2000yd swim, core
F- It's DC's bike to work day! And I'm manning a booth at Freedom Plaza for the cycling club. And then 45min heavy lifting session, 1.5mi treadmill walk on incline.
Sa- Choice day, which I haven't decided yet. Also, best friend's graduation ceremony.
Su- rest

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the club GiantNewb! My first year (or two) with clipless pedals I actually kept a count of how many consecutive rides I managed to achieve without doing the slow-mo fall. It never got above single digits. Even now that the motion is more instinctive I still try not to take it for granted because when I do, it happens again!

Dr TC - nothing wrong with taking it day by day. Do what works for you and I hope you feel less frustrated soon.

My goals for last week were:
3 x swim - yes! And a personal best for 1650m in the pool. I'm nearly 5 minutes faster than I was this time last year. I still have a long way to go, but pretty pleased about this.
4 x bike - actually 5. 4 trainer sessions and the fifth was with the women's group of the cycling club I joined. I had been expecting to sit in but landed up on the front being trained on how to lead. My body seemed to absorb the additional stress without too much trouble!
4 x run - yes! There was a minor fail because I had planned to do my long run through the river valley in the city but I forgot to pack a sports bra. I landed up doing it from home in the heat of the day. Oh well.
2 strength sessions - nope. Only one.

This week: recovery week!
M: swim + women's ride
T: strength + vo2 run intervals
W: swim + over-unders on the trainer
Th: run + easy bike (might ditch the bike depending on how I'm recovering)
F: swim + bike/run brick
S: run + strength
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I just went out this morning to try on my new clipless pedals and... ate it at the first stop sign. I fell on a blessedly cushy part of my hip, so I believe that I escaped injuries worse than bruises on my arse and ego. I went to a great bike store yesterday and they spent an hour teaching me how to do it on a trainer, so I had that. I've been avoiding making friends with local folks who are into this kind of stuff because I'm uncomfortable in athletic social circles, but the transition to clipless pedals warrants a search for in-person guidance. I'm checking out the local bike club.

It's always fine to seek in-person guidance, but should you want to avoid it, find an empty or semi-empty parking lot and just tool around practicing clipping in and out. That's actually probably a good thing to do before you try on the road again (where falling might be a big problem with cars nearby). I think it's something learned by practice rather than having people tell you. Welcome to the club! The pedals are fun!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So this is where I pause to tell you the story of a guy who came up to me in the weight room and wanted to be friends. And by wanting to be friends he tried to advise me to give up triathlon and training and "Just do what the good Lord intended you to do". It should surprise you that he left the building with all of his appendages and skin intact. However I gave him a serious verbal lashing. I'm still kind of shaking and pissed about the whole thing. The fucking nerve of some rando telling me what to do with myself after visually judging me for two minutes. Anyway.

WOW! You showed much restraint.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay - I have to know. Dr. Cupcake - what IS "the Lord's work?" Staying at home and pushing out babies? I would have been equal parts mad and laughing.

GiantNewb - my best clipless pedal fail was in a parking lot - while NOT MOVING. We were waiting to get going and I was clipped in on one side and sitting on my top tube. Somehow got distracted and fell over on the clipped in side... (I have lots more clipless fails - most involved a VERY bruised ego) It will get better, now I clip out without even thinking about it.

Sorry to everyone who isn't having their best week. Hang in there and do the best you can with what you've got.

I have a tri in two weeks that I'm under prepared for. I'll finish no problem, but that wasn't exactly my goal. Somehow life interfered and I'm wishing I wouldn't have signed up at all. I want it to be over so the continual cycle of feeling guilty for not working out while being too exhausted to care can be over.

I got a most awesome/scary "People - Mother of the Year" picture from my 7 year old. My teeth are very "prominent". I'm putting it up in my office this morning. :P
Last edited by: edbikebabe: May 13, 19 10:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik, you've made so much progress and I hope you can focus on the good. I'm thinking of you.

Dr_Cupcake, I am continually stunned by the idiotic comments I hear in training and I'm sorry you experienced that. I'm angry on your behalf way over here. Hope your recovery continues to go smooth. If you need an ear, LMK.

GiantNewb -- welcome! We've all been there, glad you're okay. FWIW, I once fell off my trainer trying to unclip and knocked over an entire bookcase. It happens!

Enjoy your recovery week Scheherazade!

My week was fine. Mostly easy but 2 swims, 4 bikes, 4 runs, yoga and a bike fit. As mentioned, I'm taking a little unstructured time after feeling both physically and mentally drained leading into my last race.

Quote:
I have suggested workouts in my plan but I'm going to see how I feel and be hyper-focused on getting back to feeling good.

This weekend, I ran trail and took a long, solo coastal bike ride -- both made me really happy :)

I'm traveling this week but expect it to me more of the same. A few easy runs, some swim workouts, and some decidedly #notaero biking.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D'aww, thanks everyone! Glad to know it's a club. I think I just needed to learn how far in advance of anticipated stops I can clip out--I was trying to be ninja quick, but I figured out that I don't have to be. Via my arse on pavement.

Cupcake: Awwww fuck that shit. So sorry you had to deal with that. I'm also proud of you for finding the words for a verbal lashing!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Okay - I have to know. Dr. Cupcake - what IS "the Lord's work?" Staying at home and pushing out babies? I would have been equal parts mad and laughing.

That is literally EXACTLY what I pondered right back at him.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Quote:

don't forget cooking and cleaning!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:
Quote:

Also literally EXACTLY what I also pondered right back at him.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:
Quote:

I fear the Lord did a poor job when I was created then...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:
Quote:

I fear the Lord did a poor job when I was created then...

You and me both, Sister ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update! I saw my new "friend" again this morning as I was doing core work.

He came up and said hi. I had my boot off because I was doing flutter kicks and hip raises and stuff and that's just making things lopsided. I said nothing and went back to work. I paused and realized he was standing there, staring at my foot.

"DID. YOU. LEARN. NOTHING. FROM. OUR. INTERACTION. YESTERDAY."

He slinked away.

Anyways, I'm off to the ortho. Fingers crossed for good news and pray for my bargaining skills.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. T, thanks for getting us started. Sorry to hear you are having coping issues. Sometimes progress is not linear. Sending you a hug.

GiantNewb, sorry to hear that you fell but I did chuckle that you didn't make it one stop sign. I fell almost instantly the first time I tried clipless pedals. It helped me to think of the unclipping motion like you are squishing a bug with your foot, and also to loosen the tension of my clips. If it makes you feel better I have fallen off my bike not once, but twice in my living room. Once my seat worked loose and I fell ass over teakettle backward, upending my entire setup and spilling water everywhere in the process (I was more mad that it took so long to clean up the mess that I missed my workout window than I was mad I had fallen). The second time I was so proud of myself for installing pedals on my new bike that I didn't check the tension, and literally couldn't unclip in time before I crashed on the floor during a test clip. Ha!

Dr. C, I can't believe that someone came up to you to tell you that and THAT HE RETURNED THE NEXT DAY!!!!!!!!!! I have also failed the lord with my childfree, messy, working, non-subservient to my husband lifestyle. XD Was he preaching this wisdom to all the women at the gym, or were you the lucky one that day?

Scheherazade, congrats on the swim PR. I have also forgotten sports bras, luckily I am a member of the IBTC so can use a regular bra in a pinch, but it always seems to happen the day after laundry day. ;) I started throwing multiple bras and multiple pairs of underwear (for post-shower) in my gym bags and that worked for a while.

Edbikebabe, maybe you will surprise yourself. Go out there and have fun, if nothing else you will have a benchmark for what you need to work on, right?

SoCal, I hope the scenery was good for you! A long coastal bike ride sounds amazing.

I've been doing OK. Not as much training as I would like, but I have been consistent with three trainer rides per week for two months now. Today also marks two months since my last run, and the pain in my upper hamstring is finally no longer noticeable, so I am hoping there is an end to PT soon. It's the busiest time of year at work and I have one final push until things calm down next week. I have been training when I can, doing what I can, letting go of what I have to, and trying not to stress too much.

I did have a good Mother's Day taking my mom and mother-in-law to brunch, where I went a little nuts on their shrimp and crab leg station. Haha. I also talked to my Grandma who tells me to tell all my friends she's single, if you know of any available men in their 80s who live in mid-Michigan or central Florida. XD

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Anyways, I'm off to the ortho. Fingers crossed for good news and pray for my bargaining skills.

good luck!

I was doing the t-bar row with just the bar today and a guy pointed at the lack of weights (he pointed at the point where the weight was supposed to go, for stronger people) and laughed at me. I was annoyed... and shouldn't have engaged... but I did
me: you know what, I may not be able to lift much, but I can run really fast.
him: how far do you jog?
me: I RUN about 50 mpw.
him: what's jogging then?
me: jogging is slow.

I think the "jog" vs "run" is somewhat generational. But laughing at me for not having any weight on there? IF I COULD LIFT MORE WEIGHT I'D DO SO, MORON.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

good luck!

I was doing the t-bar row with just the bar today and a guy pointed at the lack of weights (he pointed at the point where the weight was supposed to go, for stronger people) and laughed at me. I was annoyed... and shouldn't have engaged... but I did
me: you know what, I may not be able to lift much, but I can run really fast.
him: how far do you jog?
me: I RUN about 50 mpw.
him: what's jogging then?
me: jogging is slow.

I think the "jog" vs "run" is somewhat generational. But laughing at me for not having any weight on there? IF I COULD LIFT MORE WEIGHT I'D DO SO, MORON.

Where is this gym you belong to with so many assholes?
But, since I'm not there, here are some snappy comebacks for the future...
To "the Lord's work" guy: "Thank you for caring but it's all good. Now, I've got to get back to my training, and I assume you have to get back to being a pretentious overbearing know-it-all prig." Well, you get the idea. Kill them with kindness and then move along.
To the weight-laugher: 1. "Oh, did you get a look at yourself in the mirror?" 2. "Buzz off, fella, nobody asked you." 3. Hard stare, obviously annoyed, followed by. "Your fly is down." he'll look for sure. You'll laugh for sure.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are my hero.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I legit LOLd at "ITBC". I did contemplate running in the regular bra I had but it's new! And I am a prolific sweater, so I wanted it to stay nice.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 13 Edition [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh good lord, what's up with the gym this week? TC-nice quick thinking, and Cupcake, I admire your directness.

Also, another member of the IBTC over here. Apropos of nothing, I just cut out the built-in bra of my Orca trisuit because, while the suit fits, the bra just bunches up underneath the suit and makes it look like I stuffed tissues in my little tatas. Will wear one of my xs sports bras instead.

Quote Reply