Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rowing to build aerobic base
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Firstly I’ve done a search but couldn’t really find what I was looking for.

I know there are a few people on here that use rowing machines so I thought I’d ask.

I’m looking to use rowing to compliment three harder running sessions a week, building an aerobic base on the rowing machine at a lower impact on the body compared to long slow runs.

Fo you think that rowing provides a decent alternative to build up an aerobic base? If yes, what would you recommend?

I’ve searched around for a bit of a plan but can’t really find anything that fits into two sessions a week.

Cheers,
Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing to build aerobic base [t1mmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rowing didn't work for me because I have a thin bony ass. The hardness of a rowing machine seat would do me in after 20 minutes.

Great workout for 10-20 minutes. How do people over come the bony ass syndrome on those hard seats?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing to build aerobic base [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You found the seat that actually curves to your body shape more uncomfortable than a bike saddle which does the opposite??? Hmmm, time in the seat will help

As to OP, I would recommend doing the same types of workouts as you would do on the bike. Keep stroke rate 20-24. Switch the rate every 2’ (20/22/24) to keep it from being too monotonous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely question though I don't have anything to add

A OrangeTheory Fitness studio recently opened up near my house and been taking one or two classes a week as a supplement to normal training.

Classes are an hour structured work-out between treadmills, water rowing machines and floor exercises

The rowing always seem to be the shortest, but the exercise I want to do more of and would also like to incorporate it into my normal work-outs and also looking for rowing work-outs
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing to build aerobic base [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Rowing didn't work for me because I have a thin bony ass. The hardness of a rowing machine seat would do me in after 20 minutes.

Great workout for 10-20 minutes. How do people over come the bony ass syndrome on those hard seats?

You can get a specific seat pad: https://www.concept2.com/...accessories/seat-pad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a long-time rower prior to switching to triathlon, a few comments:

1) I would agree that as a low-impact fully-body workout rowing could be a good option for working more on your aerobic base if you are getting enough running in already.
2) But, you need to use the right technique in order to avoid injuring yourself. You can find videos on the web (eg on the C2 website https://www.concept2.com/...ing/technique-videos) but if you want to do it regularly I would strongly advise trying to find a real rower who can give you a few short coached sessions to get started.
3) In terms of sessions, if you want to work on aerobic base only then you don't neet to do anything particularly complicated:
- Use an HRM to make sure you are in the right zone, and try to build up the sessions to something like 3x6km with a couple of minutes rest to drink and briefly stretch in between at a stroke rate of around 20. At the beginning that is likely to be too much so I would say start with perhaps 3x3km and build up from there.
- The "drag" setting on the machine should not be too high (something like 4 out 10 on the C2 or around 130 if you go into the menus and get the actual reading.)
- Like on a static bike, having a fan will help keep you cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing to build aerobic base [ni31mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ni31mo wrote:
As a long-time rower prior to switching to triathlon, a few comments:

1) I would agree that as a low-impact fully-body workout rowing could be a good option for working more on your aerobic base if you are getting enough running in already.
2) But, you need to use the right technique in order to avoid injuring yourself. You can find videos on the web (eg on the C2 website https://www.concept2.com/...ing/technique-videos) but if you want to do it regularly I would strongly advise trying to find a real rower who can give you a few short coached sessions to get started.
3) In terms of sessions, if you want to work on aerobic base only then you don't neet to do anything particularly complicated:
- Use an HRM to make sure you are in the right zone, and try to build up the sessions to something like 3x6km with a couple of minutes rest to drink and briefly stretch in between at a stroke rate of around 20. At the beginning that is likely to be too much so I would say start with perhaps 3x3km and build up from there.
- The "drag" setting on the machine should not be too high (something like 4 out 10 on the C2 or around 130 if you go into the menus and get the actual reading.)
- Like on a static bike, having a fan will help keep you cool.
I am currently using a rowing machine as a substitute for swimming as I do not have access to a pool. I have always used a resistance of 9. I thought that I would get more "value" out of a session with more resistance. I will try a lower resistance and see how I go.
Thanks for the tips.
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing to build aerobic base [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
I am currently using a rowing machine as a substitute for swimming as I do not have access to a pool. I have always used a resistance of 9. I thought that I would get more "value" out of a session with more resistance. I will try a lower resistance and see how I go.
Thanks for the tips.

The 90-100kg guys on the British rowing team will, I believe, typically be using 4-5 on the slider (around 135 drag factor if you do the calibration in the menus).

The idea is not to have the most possible resistance at the catch (beginning of the stroke), but to pick up the work with the legs and then accelerate through to the finish, building the speed with the legs, back and finally arms.

Putting it on 9 or 10 is typical for people who don't know what they are doing and is most likely to give you back problems ;-) Hence my suggestion to anyone wanting to use a rowing machine regularly to find a real rower to give them some technique tips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
N=1 I rowed for nearly 10 years before diving into triathlon. But prior to triathlon, I ran several marathons while concurrently training for rowing. It wasn’t until that I started riding bikes for me to have any sort of breakthrough with my running (without any major change in running mileage/approach).

So for me anyway, riding bikes was more of a benefit to my running/aerobic base than rowing, presumably because you can ride for hours at a time, whereas rowing for an hour is usually the long end of duration for a single session.

But if you’re going from running and nothing else to running and rowing, that should certainly help.

If you’re doing three harder run sessions a week, just some long, easy, steady state rowing should be suitable., as several other guys have noted above.
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing to build aerobic base [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for your replies, it’s really helpful.

There are a lot of rowing clubs in my area so I will enquire with them about some coaching on correct form then give it a try at the local gym who have Concept 2 machines. If it works for me I’ll then think about getting one.

Happy rowing!
Quote Reply