Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heavier athletes: hilly bike course times
Quote | Reply
So...did St.G 70.3 and while I’m mop in the three disciplines I wonder how my times would be different (but mainly the bike) from this course to a flat course. Did the bike in 2:50 and I was wondering what the difference a heavier athlete like myself (200lbs) would see on a flat course. I’m super happy with my results (5:38), but can’t help, but wonder how much being bigger affects a racer with hills like these.
Quote Reply
Re: Heavier athletes: hilly bike course times [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try out bestbikesplit.com. You get most of the features with a free account and they have this nifty time analysis tool which allows you to adjust your power and weight and it will real time update how those changes affect your time for the course. Hard to say anything else without knowing all the other details of your bike/body. Though to be fair most of us are just guessing on CRR and CDA when using best bike split to begin with.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: May 12, 19 18:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to be exact without knowing your ftp and a few other factors, but you would undoubtedly be faster on a flat course. I’m 2 bills as well with ftp around 340. My bike splits for the Hilly versus flat 70.3 splits were 2:35 versus 2:20 at similar effort levels. Similar run and swim splits. But weather, temperature and other factors play a part too.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Heavier athletes: hilly bike course times [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Try out bestbikesplit.com. You get most of the features with a free account and they have this nifty time analysis tool which allows you to adjust your power and weight and it will real time update how those changes affect your time for the course. Hard to say anything else without knowing all the other details of your bike/body. Though to be fair most of us are just guessing on CRR and CDA when using best bike split to begin with.
Ugh...that whole power meter thing. Lol I should probably add one of those to my list. I’ll take a look at that site. Thanks. Congrats again on your spot. You looked thrilled up on stage!

Yeah, just curious was all. I’m not interested in getting any lighter really. Worked hard for this muscle, so I want to keep it. I just know hills and heat won’t ever be a good match for myself...and I’m cool with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, it's a huge difference -- hilly vs flat. I raced two 70.3's last year, both at 190 lbs. In June I raced Syracuse 70.3 and my Bike time was 3:10. Syracuse is a very hilly bike course. (Or should I say "was" since they cancelled it.) Three months later I raced AC 70.3 which is very flat except for a few overpass climbs, and I clocked a 2:34.

I've raced over a dozen other 70.3's and the disparity between hilly courses (Quassy, Harryman) and flat courses (Eagleman) and I avg around 2:45 for flat courses and 3:15 for hilly.

I race with a disc and have been professionally fitted and re-fitted on a Cervelo P2 and P3; but remember we're all Experiments of One -- every athletes experiences and results will differ. The problem with hilly courses and climbing is aero means almost nothing. It's easy, at least for me, on a flat course to get in a decent aero position, and stay aero 99% while pushing decent power. On a hilly course, during prolonged climbs, I find myself in my 28 cog spinning and counting down the seconds till we hit the top as dozens of greyhounds go cruising passed me!!

Currently I'm at 175 pounds, and although I haven't raced yet this year, according to Strava I'm PRr'ing many of my local climbs. I'm again doing some flat and hilly racing this year so it'll be interesting to see the times after the weight loss.
Quote Reply
Re: Heavier athletes: hilly bike course times [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. I hold aero well for long periods. Don’t have a disk, but will (flo 60/90 combo).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did 2.21 on a "flat" course last year (September). 2.44 in Marbella last month with 1600m/5250feet of climbing. 183 so a little lighter, but still a heavy guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should really be thinking about this in terms of your improvement *relative* to other racers, because everyone will be faster on a flatter course, so you need to improve more than your competition to say you are better off racing flatter courses.

For example, a 150lb guy may ride a flat course 15 min faster than St. George based on his CdA and weight. With that in mind, are you better or worse off than a lighter guy, e.g. will you improve more than 15 minutes? This largely depends on whether your W / CdA on a flat course is relatively better than your W / kg on a hilly course.

If you're relatively slippery you probably have an advantage on a flatter course but you would need to investigate further with BBS or aero testing, etc.

Strava
Quote Reply