Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advil during race
Quote | Reply
Can you legally take motrin or advil during a bike race? Been on the bike for 10 hrs today training for DK and my back and neck are killing me. Im sure it will hurt as bad at DK. Can I and should I take motrin or advil during DK? Thanks
Last edited by: bluetreefour: May 11, 19 19:15
Quote Reply
Re: Advil during race [bluetreefour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. I'd have the same question about Extra Strength Excedrin. I've been taking 2 tablets lately before long workouts. That equates to:

Acetaminophen (500 mg)
Aspirin (NSAID) (500 mg)
Caffeine (130 mg)

Can I take it on race day? A little worried about any new USAT "complete clean" drug testing that may be going on.

I don't see these or Motrin/Advil (aka Ibuprofren) on the prohibited list, but want to make sure.

https://www.usada.org/...ces/prohibited-list/

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be fine.
Main thing to remember is that taking NSAIDs (like ibuprofen (Advil)) in a race setting without due care to hydration status can put you at significant risk of acute kidney injury.
Pretty sure it has never been classed as a PED and therefore subject to any bans in or out of competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a older triathlete I play with these for a year. They cause cramping. Never had cramping problems til I started using these. Had Major cramping at Ironman Moo and Muncie. Stopped using no more cramps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's banned, but Ibuprofen can lead to serious kidney issues in the worst case (not sure about the rest).
Last edited by: Hoffmeister: May 12, 19 12:05
Quote Reply
Re: Advil during race [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, the guidance from ST has been great. Thanks. I think I will just deal with the pain. Thats part of the deal I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Advil during race [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the Advil. Use it sparingly or you can fry your kidneys. I spent a winter skiing and gulping Advil to help me with all the aches and pains. Later that spring I had a routine blood test and my formerly healthy kidneys were operating on a borderline Chronic Kidney disease level. Doc told me to quit all NSAIDs and I did. A few years later I'm finally back to the right numbers and honestly I don't seem to even have a need for it now.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you had a bike fit? 10 hours on gravel is bound to cause discomfort even with a good bike fit but a bad bike fit certainly won’t be good. I have the redshift sports shock stop stem which helps a little. I ordered their shockstop seatpost but that’s not available until June. But there are other seatposts to help.
Quote Reply
Re: Advil during race [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, yes, Ive had a bike fit. Its more particular to a pinch nerve in the neck from a bike accident years ago and degerative disc disease that Ive had for years. Part of getting older and putting your body through the grind for all of my 55 years. First tri was 1983 and first ironman 1995.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ibuprofen is not a banned substance, so theoretically you could take it in the race... you'd need to carry it with you (or put it in a special needs bag), you can't grab random pills from a spectator and not expect to get DQ'd for outside assistance... That said, it's not something I would do, because these types of drugs can, as others have mentioned, increase your risk for acute kidney injury. In the odd case, race medical may administer medication without withdrawing an athlete, but it's pretty rare. If at all possible, I would try to address the pain in other ways (proper mobility work, bike fit etc.) prior to the event, and if need be, stretch during the ride, rather than reaching for pills during the ride...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluetreefour wrote:
Thanks, yes, Ive had a bike fit. Its more particular to a pinch nerve in the neck from a bike accident years ago and degerative disc disease that Ive had for years. Part of getting older and putting your body through the grind for all of my 55 years. First tri was 1983 and first ironman 1995.

have you tried CBD cream? In some folks, it does a nice job reducing musculoskeletal aches and pains. Probably won't work on the referred pain from the nerves, but can help the inflammation and resultant muscle spasms.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Advil during race [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't, but will give it a try! Thanks
Quote Reply