Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is MLB in trouble?
Quote | Reply
Listening to a Podcast the other day and they were talking about how attendance is down another year (I guess last year was down like 5% and this year another 5%) They were talking about some parks pulling in like 7 or 8k a game only.

A couple questions as I don't really follow baseball, or its finances.
1) Is attendance important (I mean from a relavance standpoint.. do butts in the seat matter)
2) Do they make much of their income from attendance and food?
3) If this is a bad sign how do they fix it? If its about butts in the seats and not $$$ would slashing prices by like 2/3 be a solution?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Attendance is down because it is so fucking expensive to go. 100 bucks for meh tickets 12 bucks for a beer. It's easily 200 to go to a game per person. 20 years ago it was 100 bucks per person and that was leaving the game sloppy drunk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TV $$!

I wish they'd care about appearance but they don't. And it sucks, because if prices went down 50% and you doubled attendance you'd actually rake in more concessions, jersey sales, programs, all the ancillary stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Attendance is down because it is so fucking expensive to go. 100 bucks for meh tickets 12 bucks for a beer. It's easily 200 to go to a game per person. 20 years ago it was 100 bucks per person and that was leaving the game sloppy drunk.
It's definitely more expensive. Forty-five years ago, I'd go to Dodger and/or Yankee Stadium a few times each year. Cheap seat tickets (all that I could afford), a beer, and a couple of hot dogs for $20. Last time I went to Yankee Stadium (the "old" one) back in 2000 with my daughter and my nephew, it was over $300 for parking, three seats, three cokes, and a two hats for a mid-season game.

I haven't been to an MLB game since then.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once us old farts die off, the sport is dead...put a fork in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Wow, where? To see the Jays cheap seat are still $20,00 and behind home plate start at $89.00, beer is $8.75 for a tall can. Food is pretty reasonable to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spend a couple hundred bucks to sit in some uncomfortable seats next to a bunch of drunken idiots and hope you don’t sucker punched in the parking lot by some fucked up gangbangers (Dodger games)?

Pass.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
windywave wrote:

Wow, where? To see the Jays cheap seat are still $20,00 and behind home plate start at $89.00, beer is $8.75 for a tall can. Food is pretty reasonable to.

Wrigley
Quote Reply
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [ruby1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ruby1 wrote:
Once us old farts die off, the sport is dead...put a fork in it.

But are revenues up or down? Are they still making money? It seems players salaries keep going up, So I assume revenues are also?

I mean I guess that's my wonderment. Is it just all the old people still fall asleep to it on their TV's?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just did some simple math on 2018.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/.../MLB/2018-misc.shtml

https://www.statista.com/...verage-ticket-price/

Used the Reds, well just because.

Attendance 1,629,356
Average ticket price $21.14
Total $34,444,585.84
Team budget $94,587,500

I assume the rest of the money came from somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to an Angels game this weekend with my 7 year old son, tickets were $20 each. OF course they are not behind home plate, but outfield where maybe we could catch a home run. That is a much better spot for him, close spots where no balls can hit you are lame he says. I haven't been to a game in decades, so I will report back on the food and drink situation, but we plan to have a tail gate party before hand with some friends, they still do that dont they??

I was thinking we would be all in for under a 100 bucks, but maybe I'm dreaming??
Quote Reply
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I'm going to an Angels game this weekend with my 7 year old son, tickets were $20 each. OF course they are not behind home plate, but outfield where maybe we could catch a home run. That is a much better spot for him, close spots where no balls can hit you are lame he says. I haven't been to a game in decades, so I will report back on the food and drink situation, but we plan to have a tail gate party before hand with some friends, they still do that dont they??

I was thinking we would be all in for under a 100 bucks, but maybe I'm dreaming??

Well you're at 40 bucks right now

20 to park now 60

2 Hot dogs nachos and a soda and two beers 40 bucks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PS get a bag of peanuts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

20 to park now 60

2 Hot dogs nachos and a soda and two beers 40 bucks //

That was what I was thinking, not really going for any jerseys or other crap I can get on amazon for 1/4 the price. And as long as the beers are not Bud, Coors, or Miller. Too much to hope for an actual nice micro brew, but I would settle for a Sam Adams on tap and be happy with that...Do they still make their hot dogs a foot long, with a ton of condiments to make it an actual meal with veggies?? I remember the foot long Dodger dogs, I would put it in a big box, cover it with relish, onions, sauerkraut, and mustard. All the essential food groups in one box!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

20 to park now 60

That was what I was thinking, not really going for any jerseys or other crap I can get on amazon for 1/4 the price. And as long as the beers are not Bud, Coors, or Miller. Too much to hope for an actual nice micro brew, but I would settle for a Sam Adams on tap and be happy with that...Do they still make their hot dogs a foot long, with a ton of condiments to make it an actual meal with veggies?? I remember the foot long Dodger dogs, I would put it in a big box, cover it with relish, onions, sauerkraut, and mustard. All the essential food groups in one box!!!

Dude a foot long would probably be 14 bucks (Never neen to a game in LA but that is my guess)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found this little tidbit, seems pretty reasonable to me..I may be able to get two!!!

The average price of a hot dog at MLB games has increased since 2010 from 3.79 U.S. dollars to 5.01 dollars in 2018. The price of beer, however, has decreased since reaching a high in 2012. The average price for a beer at an MLB game in 2018 was 5.98 dollars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

And every game is available from home. I think I'm paying $168 for the season.

I was watching the A's game today, a beautiful Sunday afternoon. They are planning to build a new stadium. They panned around, the place was empty. Listed attendance was just shy of 19k. I'm betting actual was more like 10k. I live 2 hours'ish from Cleveland but with the price it would take a big game to get me there.

Not sure what the answer is. Actual revenue is still going up. No team has been sold for a low price so the money is still there.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only speak for Toronto but there are a lot of baseball fans in this city but they aren't willing to go watch garbage.

The Jays are in full tear it down mode and the team is crap.

If they become good again, the fans will show up. Jays were selling out virtually every game in 2016.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
windywave wrote:

When was the last time you went to a game? Beer at Jays game is $12 for a tallboy. Unless you want to line up at the one location on each level that has cheaper prices. Then you'll miss three innings waiting for beer.

Cheapest seats I see for a Jays/Padres game coming up is $28.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: May 13, 19 7:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

20 to park now 60

Just FYI- our family went to Petco Park a couple weeks ago. That is a fantastic park for kids. My 7 year old played wiffle ball for an hour in their mini-diamond inside of Petco. Also, fantastic food and beer choices.
Quote Reply
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking that sounds great, but where the hell is Petco park?? I looked it up, and it is the old Jack Murphy stadium I guess? Anyway, definitely within our driving zone, so will check it out. Thanks for the tip. I also have Dodger stadium close by, but wondering about the traffic situation getting in and out of there, maybe just on weekends...Anyone been there lately??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I was thinking that sounds great, but where the hell is Petco park?? I looked it up, and it is the old Jack Murphy stadium I guess? Anyway, definitely within our driving zone, so will check it out. Thanks for the tip. I also have Dodger stadium close by, but wondering about the traffic situation getting in and out of there, maybe just on weekends...Anyone been there lately??

No...Petco is in downtown SD. The old "Jack Murphy" (was Qualcomm, now "SDCCU Stadium" is near SDSU in Mission Valley.

Don't want you going to the wrong place ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the games are too long and too slow. Plus, without a hard salary cap the sport lacks parity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Like Tom said, its in Downtown SD. I paid $10 to park close by in a garage. I was really impressed with the setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
50+ wrote:
windywave wrote:

When was the last time you went to a game? Beer at Jays game is $12 for a tallboy. Unless you want to line up at the one location on each level that has cheaper prices. Then you'll miss three innings waiting for beer.

Cheapest seats I see for a Jays/Padres game coming up is $28.
Last August, I've never bought beer at my seat, always go to one of the kiosk's, just checked and you are right must be May long weekend, Monday against Boston is $22.00.
Quote Reply

Prev Next