Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today?
Quote | Reply
Today Tool released a photo of Danny Carey, Adam Jones, and Justin Chancellor standing in Gateway Mastering with mastering engineer Bob Ludwig and another guy I don't recognize (though I think I should recognize him).

Mastering studio = the album's pretty much done and is undergoing its final tweaks.

Now, does that mean that Maynard now gets a final instrumental version to put his lyrics over it, or does it mean that the lyrics are also recorded and done? Who knows? Maynard's made a great career out of being an enigma, so I'll believe it when I see it, but mastering a record generally means that the final product will be released within a month or two.

So I guess this all means nothing and we'll hear the new stuff in several years.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other guy is Joe Barresi. Supposedly, everything is done, including vocals. DC also posted pics of their traditional "album is done" lobster dinner.
http://dannycarey.org/...the-stoned-lobsters/

Related, I saw something about those speakers that Ludwig uses.. $195k and anchored down to the bedrock under his studio.
http://egglestonworks.com/...s/the-ivy-signature/
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Mar 7, 19 14:25
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched an interview with Mr. Ludwig earlier this week so funny this post and that pic of his studio comes up. Fascinating man and what a career. Looking forward to hearing Tool's latest.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did see this. Still very excited..no expectations on timeline though. Having said that their upcoming tour dates etc seem fairly well set in stone and I have to believe likely line up with new material.

On a semi-related note I've been enjoying the Puscifer "What is" album over the past week or so. Really good and worth checking out on streaming at the minimum.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having a hard time getting excited. Old rockers generally don't rock so well.

Honestly seems like most musicians later work compares poorly to their early stuff, but I'm sure folks could point out some exceptions.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
I'm having a hard time getting excited. Old rockers generally don't rock so well.

Honestly seems like most musicians later work compares poorly to their early stuff, but I'm sure folks could point out some exceptions.

If any Band can hold it together it should be Tool. I for one can't wait.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

Totally get it. Having said that their body of work (my opinion) has gotten more interesting over the years so here's to hoping that trend continues. I will say that the teaser they had been playing in concert ("Descending" I think?) certainly has that Tool sound I love. Also all tracks being north of 11 minutes is really interesting to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Totally get it. Having said that their body of work (my opinion) has gotten more interesting over the years so here's to hoping that trend continues. I will say that the teaser they had been playing in concert ("Descending" I think?) certainly has that Tool sound I love. Also all tracks being north of 11 minutes is really interesting to me.

I saw them in 2017 and while the setlists are obviously now tailored toward not kicking the shit out of Maynard's voice, they definitely still rock.

Agreed on that "A/Descending" track - love it.

Edit - album cover art leaked:

Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Mar 8, 19 8:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Things are shaping up for album release and a tour in support of it..

https://www.toolband.com/news/459218/tool-shows
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoot, I was hoping for some new breakthru in cordless drills or something.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

From their appearance at the Rockville festival this weekend, two new songs - one of which is 'Descending' but now with added lyrics!

Track runtimes appear to confirm the rumours.. now to wait for the album release.
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: May 7, 19 12:51
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the sound. They sound like seven other Tool songs that I love. Nothing grabbing me by the throat or the amygdala, though.

Meh, so far.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I clicked here thinking someone had some cool new tools.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoff14 wrote:
I clicked here thinking someone had some cool new tools.
I said that back in March when this thread started. I'm still waiting....

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

From their appearance at the Rockville festival this weekend, two new songs - one of which is 'Descending' but now with added lyrics!

Track runtimes appear to confirm the rumours.. now to wait for the album release.

Pretty cool!

I see that the official release date is now August 30th. Little later than I was expecting but what's a few more months after 13 years?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You beat me to it. Saw this story today.

https://pitchfork.com/...-album-release-date/

Going to see them Friday night at the legendary Hampton Coliseum (aka the "Mothership"). I'm probably too old for this but looking forward to it anyway.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:

Going to see them Friday night at the legendary Hampton Coliseum (aka the "Mothership"). I'm probably too old for this but looking forward to it anyway.

Nice - enjoy!

They are not coming anywhere close to me but I plan on seeing if I fanagle some work travel and aling a date.

Saw them live a few years back at The Gorge in Washington state. Fantastic show but kinda short.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:

Notice they didn't specify a year..

Not sure when you saw them last but they're not the Tool of the 90's with moshpits etc in the crowd (the Rockville clips were from a festival, so a little different).

When I saw them in 2017 I was surprised that our arena floor tickets were assigned seating - everyone stood for the show anyway, but there was zero of the rowdiness/moshing etc that I expected. It was actually a very similar vibe to the Roger Waters show I saw last summer, except the music is obviously a lot heavier.

Enjoy - I'm jealous!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I could have sworn Justin Chancellor was behind me on Sunset Boulevard in Brentwood this past Sunday afternoon. Aging bearded rocker guy in a black convertible Rolls Royce. I don't think it was him but it sure looked like him

2. I saw a funny tweet/comment: (paraphrased) "So Tool's going to release a new record but we have nowhere to buy it. Well done Maynard. Well done."

3. For the people wondering if/how the crowds have mellowed, keep in mind that their fan base has aged along with the band. ;-) I went and saw Quicksand several months ago and it was interesting to observe the crowd. It was probably 95% white dudes with 40-something-year old dad bods, bobbing their heads, re-living their heydays from the early 90s.

4. Here's a thought: Bands, as I understand it, make their money touring, and not so much on record sales (I'm open to being educated and proven wrong0. How f*cked up would it be if they never release a new record and, instead, just play their new stuff live (or release songs on Youtube) and all this runup is just a sham...

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
1. I could have sworn Justin Chancellor was behind me on Sunset Boulevard in Brentwood this past Sunday afternoon. Aging bearded rocker guy in a black convertible Rolls Royce. I don't think it was him but it sure looked like him

The Rockville clips I posted above were from Sunday night (FL time).. almost certainly not him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A cryptic message saying "Tool MMXIX August 30th" was issued yesterday. I'll go ahead and hope that's the record's release date.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
I'm probably too old for this but looking forward to it anyway.

I was front row at Dropkick Murphys a few weeks ago.

You're never too old to rock and roll.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:

Did you survive old timer? If so let's hear about the show!
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
jepvb wrote:
I'm probably too old for this but looking forward to it anyway.

You're never too old to rock and roll.
.........if you're too young to die.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
jepvb wrote:

Did you survive old timer? If so let's hear about the show!

It was quite an impressive show - incredible musicianship on display. Maynard never has a spotlight on him which was interesting. I guess this is his thing. Hard to even make him out for much of the show. I thought his mic was turned down too low - couldn’t clearly hear his singing all the time. My only complaint.

They played the same set list they have the whole tour - full of fan favorites - aenima, Jambi, schism, the pot, vicarious, stinkfist. Also played 2 new songs, one of which (invincible) was really good.

Strictly no cell phone event as well, until the last song when the band told security to stand down. Nice to watch a show without half the crowd staring at it through their phone.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply

Prev Next