Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Taren addresses his haters
Quote | Reply
Taren uploaded a video a few days ago speaking to those that were commenting against him. Not what I was expecting and he did position himself on where he wants to fit into the triathlon world.

Here is the video

Sufice to do (controversy) aside he has done some good for triathlon and getting new people into a sport that needs it right now. While I don't agree with everything he says/does. For a sport that (and ST has agreed in the past) is looking to get numbers back up, Taren is helping increase those numbers.

If this thread needs to be locked go for it. I am not trying to drum up a controversial thread, but I thought this video was a bit interesting on his view of how/why he does everything.

But I do give Taren credit for standing behind his name on everything rather than being just an anonymous posters that so many are doing with the negative comments.
Last edited by: 907Tri: May 11, 19 14:46
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. If you're going to put yourself out there then you better be ready for criticism.
2. If your going to push bad information you really better be ready for criticism!!!!!
3. He makes a good point when he says his base should be people just starting off. Great idea but are the people just starting off buying all that swag and all that expensive s*** he's got hanging out in the background. And shouldn't the people just starting off really be the ones that we are making sure get good information.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only found him recently. Good promotion and pushing some of the existing problems

Glad dan plews is coaching. I can learn for near free
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His videos got me through my 1st sprint, then on to multiple Tri's, including a couple 70.3's and a full IM.

I spent hours watching his videos with sweaty palms from being so nervous about my first Tri.

He got me in the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mehhhhh just his quarterly pitty beg video he always does. Instead of deleting all of the negative comments and playing victim if he actually listened to them he would make a huge leap forward.

People complaining for example that you're spruicking mega expensive carbon soles and claiming they give you 80 extra watts is BS isnt them being trolls or negative, it's reality and he should stop doing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

People complaining for example that you're spruicking mega expensive carbon soles and claiming they give you 80 extra watts is BS isnt them being trolls or negative, it's reality and he should stop doing it.[/quote]

Perfectly said!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was a good video and a positive step forward as far as where he wants and should focus his efforts. I think he has been and can be a very solid influence for new triathletes.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

I feel he has done a lot better on acknowledging who is audience is.

Of course some of the stuff he does is BS. At the same time I think a lot of people think they believe they know what he wants to do, when in reality they do not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think he was playing the victim card. He just made people aware of the fact he is reading all the comments and that it hurts when people get personal. I don't think he said he should be immune to critique. But when people write things like what was written in the locked thread you can't really defend yourself. How do you argue against someone who calls you out for hair colour or alleged sexuality? He was pretty transparent regarding earnings from youtube and what he needs to do to pay the bills. Great video IMO.

But haters will always hate
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
I don't think he was playing the victim card. He just made people aware of the fact he is reading all the comments and that it hurts when people get personal. I don't think he said he should be immune to critique. But when people write things like what was written in the locked thread you can't really defend yourself. How do you argue against someone who calls you out for hair colour or alleged sexuality? He was pretty transparent regarding earnings from youtube and what he needs to do to pay the bills. Great video IMO.

But haters will always hate

Playing the victim was exactly what he was doing. He has done about 5 vids like this already where he knows all the fans boys will come and post about how awesome he is.

I don't think anyone has a problem with him making money or having adds-i sure as heck want him to succeed. But, and it's a big but, when you have clearly stated your target audience are newbs who don't know any better then you have a responsibility to give them accurate information.

Spruicking crap like carbon insoles saying they give another 80 watts is just embarassing and I feel for any of his followers who get sucked in by that stuff.

He has also said other stupid stuff at times that is just plain wrong such as MCT oil doesn't take you out of ketosis because it's clear (wtf) and that whey protein is catabolic (this means breaks tissue down instead of building it)

When he makes statements like this he need to expect people to call him out and he should admit he made a mistake a correct himself. Not stick his head in the sand crying haters gunna hate...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does mct oil take you out of ketosis?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The dude is hustling. He found away to make his hobby into his career. Good for him. Haters are always going to hate.

The only thing that I don’t like about his videos is when he walks around in his speedos on camera. Get some jammers!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Does mct oil take you out of ketosis?
if it does or it doesn't it's color has absolutely no bearing lol..
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [fitzkickjr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fitzkickjr wrote:
The dude is hustling. He found away to make his hobby into his career. Good for him. Haters are always going to hate.

The only thing that I don’t like about his videos is when he walks around in his speedos on camera. Get some jammers!!!!

Haters are going to hate is the lamest saying...it's funny, it's like morons think it's the get out of everything card.

"Hey did you know that the world is flat!"

Umm no its not, science proves that it's not

"Pfffttt...haters gunna hate"
Last edited by: dunno: May 12, 19 2:04
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [fitzkickjr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fitzkickjr wrote:

This is the part where I chime in and remind everyone that jammers look stupid.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand by its very nature this post is counter productive, but if we all just ignored his garbage he would go away. I understand the need of many to point out his schilling and lies, but it just would rather see him fade away in to oblivion.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you want someone who is enthusiastic about the sport and tries to encourage new people to try out this whole triathlon thing to “fade into oblivion”?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how you use it.

Your analogy with the earth being flat isn't really accurate in this situation. To prove that the earth is flat is rather simple, hence it is not debatable. It is a fact. Whether Taren is right in addressing his haters is somewhat more complicated. One part of the critics is the ones addressing the problem you adress; his responsibility regarding noobs in Tri. But even though you stop there, and are right in (most) assessment, others continue to the personal level. And that part of the critics is the problem here. In my opinion they are the ones Taren adressed in the video. Since you seem to think he targets criticism across the board, we don't agree. This is of course up for interpretation but I considered you highly critical, when I wrote my last post, to the point where I wondered if Taren could ever do anything right in your eyes. ( Which you adressed in your post to me. I don't think he will retract any statement , though I agree with you so now I know what you want)

That is why I wrote haters are going to hate. Not that I think it would get neither me nor Taren out of anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tempting, but I am not going to bite (again)
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I understand by its very nature this post is counter productive, but if we all just ignored his garbage he would go away. I understand the need of many to point out his schilling and lies, but it just would rather see him fade away in to oblivion.

If everyone on ST ignored him, his viewership numbers would be just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:

Your analogy with the earth being flat isn't really accurate in this situation. To prove that the earth is flat is rather simple, hence it is not debatable. It is a fact.

Is this a misstatement or is this what you meant?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Briefs look better than jammers, if you are fit with very low body fat. Otherwise jammers look better, because they’re less revealing. IMO it is taboo for a guy to wear a shirt with briefs on the pool deck. It’s just not a good look.

In terms of haters, I’m guessing he’s referring to critics. I have no problem with him putting out a video addressing it. There were some comments that were uncalled for in another thread. As well, he did explain that he’s not just promoting products for profit. That’s his take, although myself and many others would disagree. He has to make money for and from sponsors, but he needs to be careful about misinformation. It’s kind of a tough spot when it’s your livelihood and you believe you’re being honest.

I have noticed that he has put up a few self pity videos. Lionel does a lot of this too, but it just looks different because he’s overly critical of himself so people take it better. I’m not a fan of that type of message. It seems to pump up the base and provides reassurance. I think it shows a lack of confidence and accountability.

Overall, I find him very entertaining and he provides some good information for beginners. I’d like to see him succeed. I do hope he stops putting out bad information though (ie. 80 watt sole stars) but I do realize he has become a salesman for his sponsors in addition to a triathlon vlogger/coach.

JasoninHalifax wrote:
Why would you want someone who is enthusiastic about the sport and tries to encourage new people to try out this whole triathlon thing to “fade into oblivion”?
Last edited by: mwanner13: May 12, 19 5:28
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Schnellinger wrote:

Your analogy with the earth being flat isn't really accurate in this situation. To prove that the earth is flat is rather simple, hence it is not debatable. It is a fact.

Are you saying what I think you’re saying?
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree with concept of 'Taren haters'. There is nothing awful about the guy personally and I seriously doubt anybody hates him personally. There is something wrong with what he's doing conceptually and this concept is a valid reason for negative emotions. Some people might mix those things up.

What's wrong with him is Marketing. American Marketing, however it's pretty much the same across the world, it's just US is the most successful it it. The goal is to make money, but deliver the best product to improve people's life is not the only acceptable way to do it. Other ways, like lie, bite-and-switch, hiding truth, etc. are perfectly acceptable as long as you don't get sued. As long as 'guy has to make a living', it's all fine.

Well, I say it's not. It's not fine to make living by lying. Put me in the list of 'Taren haters, who's gonna hate' if it's what it takes, but I just hate Marketing.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
Schnellinger wrote:

Are you saying what I think you’re saying?

Not saying anything. Just asking for clarification.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next