Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you reply to my post?

And Penticton is not hard to get to. Fly to Vancouver, Seattle or Kelowna. Rent a car. Easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Not hard to get to huh...from Austin, it is faster and easier to fly to Nice than Penticton! :)

Nope.

Westjet flies direct to Calgary, then connect to Kelowna.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shall I show you the screenshot. Westjet does not fly from Texas so it's a 3 stop trip (15 hour) or 2 stop with a 4.5 hour drive. Nice is a 13 hour 1 stop trip and no car is ever needed...

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your time in Penticton. Next time you are up this way you will definitely have to check out the Run to the Tunnel past Naramata, the trail on the westside of Skaha Lake (or the better the loop of skaha), the KVR run to the summerland tressel or the trans Canada trail out in Summerland. All are pretty awesome routes. There are some more technical trails out here as well, but I find those are the best for Ironman training.

Swimming wise, the city shelters the lakes from the wind. So if the wind is coming from the North, Skaha will be calm enough to swim. If the wind is coming from the south, Okanagan will be calm. I agree that it can be hard to judge distances in the open water, that why I really like swimming in Okanagan Lake. The Peach to the Sicamous is about 1km (and easy to sight) and there are buoys spaced roughly 40m apart. Its great for measuring out workouts. (i.e 3 hard, one easy)

If anyone else is up in Penticton and wants some advice on training routes, swing by the Bike Barn on Saturdays and I would be thrilled to talk triathlon and tell you my favorite routes or what routes I think would work best for whatever training you have planned.

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go up to whistler and train too. I don't mind it at all. I didn't mean it was bad due to safety I mean boring to do the same rides each day. Limited road options ROAD options.

you sure contradict yourself a lot though

quote I never raced IM in Penticton due to the many logistic issues. Penticton would not make my top 10- sorry .

This is a bit like 'I Hated the movie preview on my phone on the toilet so I am guessing the movie on the giant screen with 400 people and a full length movie will be just as exciting. '

I have trained in Both never seen so many people helping with aid stations and sharing the road as Penticton.

You are right they are price gouge.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy logistics once you get here is one of the big advantages to Penticton. It's a big enough city that you have every thing you need, but small enough that everything is closeby. It takes less than 10mins to drive all the way across town.

The big plus though is that it is a single transition course with a fair amount of parking and hotels around. Easy to drop your bike off and get your race package. And super easy race morning. Its pretty rare these days to not have to get on a shuttle or walk to the race start.

There are also plenty of great safe riding and options from right from town for pre race workouts. And you can swim in either Skaha or Okanagan lake anytime you want.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think with Air bnb around now, prices will be lower. Although it wasnt as big as the IMC projections, I don't remembe hearing too many complaints about price gouging with ITU world in 2017.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Shall I show you the screenshot. Westjet does not fly from Texas so it's a 3 stop trip (15 hour) or 2 stop with a 4.5 hour drive. Nice is a 13 hour 1 stop trip and no car is ever needed...

Here is what I get for flying Alaska Airlines out of Austin.

Austin -> Seattle
Seattle > Kelowna
6 hours, 35 minutes
plus 1 hour drive to Penticton

Total: 7 hours, 35 minutes

Austin -> Seattle
Seattle > Vancouver
6 hours, 25 minutes
plus 2 hour drive to Whistler

Total 8 hours, 25 minutes

Winner: Penticton
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't had to pay for accommodations in Penticton or whistler so I am not sure just going to clients examples and info. BUT

The comments on here are which is better. SO stupid why can both be great . Society keeps picking one side and then arguing.
Whistler has better x,y,z
Penticton has better a,b,c

THE MARKET, triathletes, has spoken Penticton was move successful. The numbers tell the story. Will they still ??? We will find out.

Also Penticton has come to find 'YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GOT TILL IT IS GONE.'

SIDE NOTE if in the last two years the US to Canadian dollar was closer I think a lot of western US athletes would not have come to whistler. I think it will help a lot come to Penticton if it is still the same. Cheaper race and cheaper exchange. If money is an issue while riding a $10,000 bike?

A western US racer can do Whistler for About $500. I think Zona was $880. Plus your dollar is worth so much more.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:

Are you just being deliberately obtuse? Westjet does indeed fly to Austin.

https://www.westjet.com/...uide/discover/austin

https://www.newswire.ca/...s-map-847652953.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tons of awesome training around penticton as symonds has mentioned. While we want to support the local Penticton economy, other options include staying north up in Summerland, West Kelowna or Kelowna. I have done the commute from Kelowna to Penticton the morning of the race. Glad to see Ironman is coming home! (sung in the tone of england's football's coming home).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Hendu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One perspective that I don't think really has been brought up in this thread has been that of the spectator.

And I'm not talking the "I'll sit on the patio of this cafe sipping my latte whilst watching those poor bastards suffer" sort of disengaged, casual spectator.

I'm talking the "Dutch Corner" calibre of spectator who is motivated and maybe rabid, and wants to see the suffering en masse.

The kinds of spectators who came in the hundreds to the Yellow Lake climb in the 90's and early 2000's and parked their cars and blasted their tunes and gave us their energy, an experience as close as most of us would/will ever come to Solar Hill.

What a showcase for the sport, what a spectacle, and an inspiration.

Having done the Whistler course, even on the Callahan & Pemberton climbs, nary a soul to be seen or heard. How sad.

If having an "easy & convenient" Ironman spectating experience is what you value(d) - I'd say yeah, what a shame that Whistler is gone. Well, the full distance anyway.

But if you spectate like you race, and you really want to experience the magnitude, and at times, the solitude, of the Ironman experience, the South Okanagan is the real deal.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived for 3 years in Whistler before they had the Ironman and also did IMC in Penticton on 3 occasions and in my view, the IM belongs in Penticton. It was my first Ironman and I loved everything about the race. Okanagan Lake is a nice place to swim, I loved the rolling hills and the entire course set up by the lake.

Whistler was a great place to live but after biking the roads there every single day, really wanted something different and Penticton checked all the boxes. I won't be racing there as I stopped triathlons but it's a great move so thank you for all the work you did to bring it back where it belongs.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So signed up for IM Canada this year, injured, unlikely to get better in time.

Was going to defer to 2020.

Does this mean I am now going to be racing Pentiction rather than Whistler?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Cycling nation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two more things for my IMC Penticton wishlist:

• Have Steve King call the race

• Keep the mass start for the swim

"It's Ironman - it's supposed to be hard!"

Author of "Letters to a Driving Nation: Exploring the Conflict between Drivers and Cyclists." http://www.brucebutler.ca
Last edited by: Cycling nation: May 9, 19 8:13
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race 10 times between 2000 and 2012 and agree with everything you say!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Symonds wrote:
I think with Air bnb around now, prices will be lower. Although it wasnt as big as the IMC projections, I don't remembe hearing too many complaints about price gouging with ITU world in 2017.

This! Penticton has a number of great and reasonably priced AirBnb's... When I was down for 2017 Multisport Worlds, we did an AirBNB that was fantastic, a fraction of the hotel prices, and minutes away from the T-zone (Pros close to transition, the neighbours were literally a vineyard... Con, post race, had to go up Vancouver ave. hill to get back...)... In terms of flying, I flew to Vancouver, and then Vancouver to Penticton (my wife flew to Vancouver a few days later and drove to penticton to catch my race, and then we drove back to vancouver, did a couple of days in whistler and a few days in Vancouver before flying back).

If you want a post race recovery recommendation, OK Wine Tours... we did that the day after my race at Worlds, and did 9 vineyards in half a day or so... (thankfully I shipped my bike up by ground, and left my gear bag near empty to be able to send back all of the wine we bought with the bike...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
I haven't had to pay for accommodations in Penticton or whistler so I am not sure just going to clients examples and info. BUT

The comments on here are which is better. SO stupid why can both be great . Society keeps picking one side and then arguing.
Whistler has better x,y,z
Penticton has better a,b,c

THE MARKET, triathletes, has spoken Penticton was move successful. The numbers tell the story. Will they still ??? We will find out.

Also Penticton has come to find 'YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GOT TILL IT IS GONE.'

SIDE NOTE if in the last two years the US to Canadian dollar was closer I think a lot of western US athletes would not have come to whistler. I think it will help a lot come to Penticton if it is still the same. Cheaper race and cheaper exchange. If money is an issue while riding a $10,000 bike?

A western US racer can do Whistler for About $500. I think Zona was $880. Plus your dollar is worth so much more.

I'm not sure what your overall point is but I agree that it is okay to like one over the other because they are very different places. I happen to prefer the amenities in Whistler as a destination to travel to, but I see why others would prefer Penticton, particularly people who live in the region.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Shall we wager on whether it sells out past year one? I think you will find that the 'iconic' race there is of not huge appeal to many/most of the people not rooted in their emotional history there. I hope it is successful, but cannot see how a race so hard to get to, will be a big interest.

One question, best in the world? Have you done the European IMs or the Asian/S. Pacific IMs?

By that logic Kona should be shelved as well. Hard to get to-check! Expensive accomodations-check! Deeply rooted emotional history-check! Granted, the two cities I've lived in during my Ironman racing days are Anchorage and Bend. So...I have a different perspective on what's hard to get to compared to Austin, TX.

johnnyo is right. There is no one race or type of course that pleases everyone. Personally, I loved the original Penticton course. I felt it fit 2000+ racers on the same course better than the multi-loop courses. At the same time, my family only saw me three times during the race and that is unappealing to others.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no point.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Triathletetoth wrote:
I side from all the other stuff.

Why Ironman (full) is better in Penticton then Whistler. For Local triathletes West coast to Calgary. You get the best Training prep for the race in that city.

Late August means you can go and ride the course and train in Penticton a lot during July and august. And while you are there do another local race like the peach, apple, etc.

You can start your training season a bit late and enjoy better weather and more time to travel and do other lead up races.

Whistler is not a great training location for biking. Pool is fine and lake takes a while to heat up.

This is a win for the local triathletes over the world. But I am bias too.

I have done extensive training in Whistler and Penticton. Whistler, IMHO, is a far better location to train. Alta Lake is a great place to swim, and there are many other excellent choices nearby if you want to change things up. The road riding is mostly on the hiway, but there are large lanes to ride in, I always felt 100% safe (except the descent and climb to and from Pemberton, which is no longer an issue), and the running options are amazing.
In Penticton, and throughout the Okanagon, I NEVER felt safe riding. Narrow or no shoulders on most of the roads, tons of fast traffic, and poor sight lines for drivers due to the abundant curves. The lakes get much more wind and chop, and they are so big it is hard to get perspective on distance. I never found any good running trails, but I am sure there are some, just not as many or as obvious as at Whistler.
AND- I found the Okanagon to be beautiful, but BORING.
I never raced IM in Penticton due to the many logistic issues that have been noted, and the outrageous price gouging, but I trained there 2 summers, and rode the course several times. Even without considering the white knuckle traffic issues, I far prefer the riding in Whistler.
From a course perspective, Penticton would not make my top 10- sorry

Ill agree. Having done Penticton and the original whistler IM I would say whistler wins for overall experience. Especially if you are taking your family. There is so much available in whistler for family and they can watch your race at mutiple times. Penticton is pretty much see you when Im done and have fun playing on the beach or hanging out in a not great hotel.

Given that, for the IM experience...Penticton is pretty sweet. The bike is huge. The mass start off the beach. the run along the lake. ( i hate the finish of the run though...through gross commercial area then back and forth along lakeshore)...

I will do penticton again though as it is my home race coming from lower mainland.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more thing for my wishlist: keep a 7am start time for all participants and a midnight cutoff for all participants.

"It's Ironman - it's supposed to be hard!"

Author of "Letters to a Driving Nation: Exploring the Conflict between Drivers and Cyclists." http://www.brucebutler.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pemberton is probably stoked they got to stick it to Whistler
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [JRSL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you can move to Seattle from Austin like I did and drive straight to Penticton đŸ˜‰ see you there next year.

Giddy up, there's no reason to look behind you, you're not heading that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [AustinDuDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next