Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cherynobl - HBO
Quote | Reply
Anybody watch the first episode? I just can't even imagine a situation like that. Extreme radiation sickness has to be one of the worst ways to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Cherynobl - HBO [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I am looking forward to the rest of it. I did like the over the top warning about concerns over the accuracy of events due to Soviets withholding information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not yet, but, I have been watching the previews with great anticipation. I am assuming from your comment that at least the first episode delivers.

I'm currently finishing the latest version of Bosch on Amazon. Then I am on this this.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hope to watch it too. I did see a documentary about Chernobyl in the past, horrible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm afraid to watch it. I was around for that shit (little kid) not all that far away. Don't need anxiety over potentially developing cancer soon... Looks like compelling TV, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The show looks really cool, but I don't have HBO. If it wasn't for the kids I'd drop Netflix and pick up HBO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't finished the first episode yet. It was just so stressful thinking, "That person is dead already, they don't know it, and it will be painful."
Quote Reply
Re: Cherynobl - HBO [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed the first episode but must have missed the warning about the accuracy. I seem to recall a story on 60 Minutes recently about it where they had some drone video from the scene. I may have to go and check that out again. In a weird way, I would rather this kind of series be filmed with Russian actors that speak the language and subtitles. I'm so used to reading the closed captioning that it doesn't bother me and I think it would be more "authentic."
Quote Reply
Re: Cherynobl - HBO [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the impression from the trailers that this was a disaster film (series) based on Cherynobl, but not really meant to be taken for what really happened.
Quote Reply
Re: Cherynobl - HBO [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
I haven't finished the first episode yet. It was just so stressful thinking, "That person is dead already, they don't know it, and it will be painful."

that is what i was saying to myself in nearly every scene.
Quote Reply
Re: Cherynobl - HBO [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
I got the impression from the trailers that this was a disaster film (series) based on Cherynobl, but not really meant to be taken for what really happened.

When Superman shows up and saves everyone you'll really know this was not to be taken as reality.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Cherynobl - HBO [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
The producers are claiming they strove to be as accurate as possible, minimizing combining characters, over-emphasizing/minimizing events, etc.

Re. the fidelity of the Russian investigations, I'm guessing this will be as big a part of their story as the actual event and clean-up since it opens with a suicide that is rooted in the investigation side rather than the actual event. Or so says Wikipedia.

I thought the first episode was good, looking forward to the rest.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Cherynobl - HBO [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sake wrote:
I enjoyed the first episode but must have missed the warning about the accuracy. I seem to recall a story on 60 Minutes recently about it where they had some drone video from the scene. I may have to go and check that out again. In a weird way, I would rather this kind of series be filmed with Russian actors that speak the language and subtitles. I'm so used to reading the closed captioning that it doesn't bother me and I think it would be more "authentic."

There have been a few PBS shows about it recently.

You can get fairly close from certain directions, but downwind you've got to stay kilometers away. The new steel enclosure they put up the last few years - workers were only allowed to work 5 hour days for a month, they take at least 15 days off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The book "Midnight in Chernobyl" by Adam Higganbotham came out a couple of months ago...really good read. Goes into all of the background information on the Soviet nuclear industry and why the type of reactor that was installed in Chernobyl was an accident waiting to happen. Highly recommended.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
The book "Midnight in Chernobyl" by Adam Higganbotham came out a couple of months ago...really good read. Goes into all of the background information on the Soviet nuclear industry and why the type of reactor that was installed in Chernobyl was an accident waiting to happen. Highly recommended.

Just put the e-book and audio book on my hold list at my local library. We'll see which is available first. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, I watched the first episode and really liked it. I also recommend the associated podcast. I listened to the first episode the morning after I watched the show. It was really good and gave a lot more background into what happened and what they filmed compared to real events. (spoiler, the first episode tracked real events very closely)

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
chaparral wrote:

that is what i was saying to myself in nearly every scene.

Same here.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got halfway through the first episode last night. Looks great so far. I look forward to watching the rest. Great idea for a mini series.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Cherynobl - HBO [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still lived in France when it happened. in 1988, I worked at Saclay (one of the nuclear centers in France) during the summer, making pharma tracers.
We had regular tests to see exposure. At the end of the summer, the full test showed a peak of Cesium 137. Heard that basically all of Western Europe had it after
Chernobyl. Low dose, but still...
Quote Reply
Re: Cherynobl - HBO [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I still lived in France when it happened. in 1988, I worked at Saclay (one of the nuclear centers in France) during the summer, making pharma tracers.
We had regular tests to see exposure. At the end of the summer, the full test showed a peak of Cesium 137. Heard that basically all of Western Europe had it after

Probably fake news, if it really happened there would be more people with super powers in Europe.
Quote Reply
Re: Cherynobl - HBO [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

That's crazy. I was pretty young at the time and, therefore, did not appreciate the magnitude of the situation. Watching this series has been very eye-opening.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Cherynobl - HBO [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the period of Cesium 137 is 30 years by the way, vs just a few days for iodine 131.
Haven't looked at the data of say thyroid cancers in Western Europe post 1986, but it could be interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished ep. 1 and I'm all in. The non-Russian accents detract a bit, but the story is f'n compelling.

http://www.litespeed.com
Last edited by: TiDriver: May 21, 19 19:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Such a well done series so far through the first three episodes. I'm amazed at how little (if any) protection people wore as they were on site during the days/weeks after the explosion while trying to put the fire out and even to mitigate the situation by draining the water and having the miners dig down. They even stripped naked due to the hear since they weren't allowed fans. The hospital staff had minimal protection in treating the plant technicians and firefighters who were first on scene.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Cherynobl - HBO [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am loving this series.

Also, there is a podcast that goes along with each episode that gives a lot more context on certain scenes and the depth the crew went through in researching the event. It makes the show just that much better. If you like the show, follow the podcast as well.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Cherynobl - HBO [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a great mini series so far and the companion podcast adds so much more to each episode. It’s crazy when they talk about going to the site, I don’t think I would have been able to do that. Hearing those dosimeters crackling I would have bailed lol
Quote Reply

Prev Next