Login required to post replies

Giro TT Gearing: Crazy Wide
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzuoeydNBsA

At least two instances of 55/39-11/30.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro TT Gearing: Crazy Wide [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the Zwift model is reasonably accurate, the wide gearing makes sense. Tall gearing for the flat start and then climbing gearing for the last 2 k with average grade 9.7 and tops at 16%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

I guess if once you change from 55 to 39 you never need to go back to the 55 that makes sense.... Which I suppose is true on this course.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link, but what I found most interesting (and very weird) was the new bmc TT frame with 2 (!) different seatpost openings in the frame. That is just wild.

Heck, why have a dual-position seatpost, when instead you can have a dual position frameset !

You can see this, and the details of how the frame is rigged up at 4:56 in the video ... sadly, if you look carefully, you can already see a crack propagating in the frame at the interface between the 2 seatpost openings ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 11, 19 9:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nibali on 175’s
Quote Reply
Re: Giro TT Gearing: Crazy Wide [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Thanks for the link, but what I found most interesting (and very weird) was the new bmc TT frame with 2 (!) different seatpost openings in the frame. That is just wild.

Heck, why have a dual-position seatpost, when instead you can have a dual position frameset !

You can see this, and the details of how the frame is rigged up at 4:56 in the video ... sadly, if you look carefully, you can already see a crack propagating in the frame at the interface between the 2 seatpost openings ...

I saw that too. A few years ago I looked into investing in and making my own TT bike. One area I researched a lot was seat post binders because I personally had one fail on a Speed Concept and because of the whole Shiv debacle. IMO, the clamp Orbea uses on the Ordu is the best approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
IMO, the clamp Orbea uses on the Ordu is the best approach.

Maybe the only nice thing ever said about the Ordu on Slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Ouch! Whoever is riding that BMC needs to get it fixed asap.

Did I hear them say a new Shiv TT was in the offing?

Man... those tires. The prototype 23mm GPTT which has the GP4K tread pattern (maybe the whole thick parabolic tread?) and surely no silly Vectran belt. And the Podium with latex. Why doesn't Conti sell this stuff to everyone?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro TT Gearing: Crazy Wide [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
IMO, the clamp Orbea uses on the Ordu is the best approach.

Maybe the only nice thing ever said about the Ordu on Slowtwitch.

I’m talking about the new(er) Ordu which is actually quite a nice bike. My only beef with it is the 1” steerer.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro TT Gearing: Crazy Wide [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Ouch! Whoever is riding that BMC needs to get it fixed asap.

Did I hear them say a new Shiv TT was in the offing?

Man... those tires. The prototype 23mm GPTT which has the GP4K tread pattern (maybe the whole thick parabolic tread?) and surely no silly Vectran belt. And the Podium with latex. Why doesn't Conti sell this stuff to everyone?

Just looked through the photos on CyclingNews. Bob Jungles is on the Shiv TT Disc but some of the Bora guys where on that last year right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Nothing new, the previous (and still current available) version of the Time Machine TT frame is similar.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 11, 19 13:13
Quote Reply
Re: Giro TT Gearing: Crazy Wide [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I learn a new thing every day.
Not sure how durable the design is, but it sure is different.
But, if it works, it works.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Giro TT Gearing: Crazy Wide [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

I guess if once you change from 55 to 39 you never need to go back to the 55 that makes sense.... Which I suppose is true on this course.

I bet the EF mechanics regret going for the 56/38 combination. At least one of their riders dropped his chain at the foot of the climb.

At 6:17;
https://www.youtube.com/...TG0D71c1A&t=436s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden a 55/39 11-32 on my tri bike at Triple T for the last few years.

It works for me on my 650 bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro TT Gearing: Crazy Wide [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you upshift from the 39 to the 55?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problems at all
Cervelo P2 45cm
55 tooth SRAM chainring 39 tooth shimano
Shimano 105 front derailleur. Dura ace bar end shifter.

I can give you a video later today if needed
Quote Reply