Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hurricane Michael and Ironman Florida 2019
Quote | Reply
*In no way, shape or form is this intended for political purposes and the following link is not an endorsement of political sides.*

Happened to pull this up on youtube this evening and still shocking to see the after effect of Hurricane Michael on PCB. Best thing to do imo is the go down there this November and spend money to keep the town going. Hate to see a community still struggling to get on it's feet after devastion like that. Hoping WTC does some sort of extra effort this November for continued relief for the community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWAEjPONqjs
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Michael and Ironman Florida 2019 [xcchampion11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman is kind of doing that right now at GC 70.3. IMF just gave the city something like $100K. Plus, I think they supported some other charitable activities.

PCB looks untouched, by the way. The damage hit further east.
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Michael and Ironman Florida 2019 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMF did donate 100k and more at IM70.3GC. They also raised money from the event transfer to Haines City in 18 and other events and have donated. From what I understand, IMF has a service project planned for IMFL19 to help with cleanup in the harder hit areas.

I wouldn't say PCB looks untouched. I live in PC in an area harder hit and while PCB wasn't as badly affected as areas east, many of the residences, condos, hotels, and businesses on the east end of the beach were badly damaged too. As an area that thrives on tourism, I think we're all excited to have events back in the area again and I look forward to volunteering again for IMFL :)

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Foundation is doing a work project in Mexico Beach the day after IM Florida in November.

I will also be raising money for the Ironman Foundation Hurricane Michael Relief Effort by cycling 1500 miles this summer. Riding from my home in Howey in the Hills, Florida to Traverse City, Michigan for the new IM 70.3 Traverse City event. Please help me achieve my goal of raising $25,000 for the Panama City/ Gulf Coast region that was affected by this Hurricane last year.

Click on this link to see more details and thanks for your support.

Z

https://ironmanfoundation.donordrive.com/...vent&eventID=581
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Michael and Ironman Florida 2019 [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All ready at $5,000 raised for the Ironman Foundation Hurricane Michael Relief Effort! Looking forward to cycling 1500 miles this summer to IM 70.3 Traverse City! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I was down there a couple of weeks ago for spring break. Panama City (the city to the east of St Andrews Bay) is a wreck . Panama City *Beach* (the city to the west of St Andrews Bay) has minimal damage and we had a great time. It's amazing that two communities so close together can have such different outcomes. I only point out the distinction to say nothing about the conditions in Bay County would interfere with someone having a great vacation/race.

A lot of people work in PCB but live elsewhere in Bay County, and they could use some cash.
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Michael and Ironman Florida 2019 [trihawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihawg wrote:
IMF did donate 100k and more at IM70.3GC. They also raised money from the event transfer to Haines City in 18 and other events and have donated. From what I understand, IMF has a service project planned for IMFL19 to help with cleanup in the harder hit areas.

I wouldn't say PCB looks untouched. I live in PC in an area harder hit and while PCB wasn't as badly affected as areas east, many of the residences, condos, hotels, and businesses on the east end of the beach were badly damaged too. As an area that thrives on tourism, I think we're all excited to have events back in the area again and I look forward to volunteering again for IMFL :)

I traveled to Callaway last October to help my parents dig out in the aftermath. I was just there again for the Gulf Coast 70.3 and once I crossed the bridge to PCB it looked like nothing had ever happened. Granted, I only went out to the Edgewater and not the east end of the beach, but still, PCB looked pretty damn good by comparison. I drove in through Bristol, Blountstown and Wewa and they looked close to recovered compared to what I saw last year - maybe 10 new roofs for every tarp on a home. But once I got to Callaway that was more like just 2 or 3 new roofs per tarp. It's probably going to take about 2 years to find out which properties will never be fixed either because they owners have no insurance and no assets to repair the homes/businesses on their own. Then the hard legal process of condemnation is going to have to take place so the various towns can clear the lots and sell off the land. I wouldn't expect the declining population to stabilize for five years before growth really begins again in PC, Parker, Callaway, Lynn Haven, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihawg wrote:
I wouldn't say PCB looks untouched.

Maybe I just don't have an adequate baseline. I mean, when I see a bunch of debris and windows knocked out I'm thinking "I dunno, maybe Florida always looked like this".

snicker. chuckle.

just foolin'.
Last edited by: Justicebeaver: May 14, 19 12:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihawg wrote:
I wouldn't say PCB looks untouched. I live in PC in an area harder hit and while PCB wasn't as badly affected as areas east, many of the residences, condos, hotels, and businesses on the east end of the beach were badly damaged too.
Yeah, I did not intend to imply that PCB escaped, but to call out that it was actually a separate and distinct area that was devastated. A lot of folks think PC and PCB are synonymous. PCB does look largely recovered today, however Panama City (just a few miles east) looks like a war zone. And the damage extends many miles inland. It is like a Twilight Zone experience in the drive from PCB to PC. And then Mexico Beach was essentially erased.
Quote Reply