Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
So did Whistler just go "eff it, I'm out. We make more money with Crankworx anyway"?

Pemberton really effed the full IM in Whistler and signup numbers were declining a lot after that.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
getting super ahead of myself - but would staying in Oliver be practical?
i'd rather spend a week at Lakeside Resort than in-town in Penticton

Yeah, it's not terrible. I did it two of the three times I raced there, largely due to the lack of options in Penticton.

It was nice because Oliver has good places to swim/bike/run, and also grocery, places to eat, etc. So everything on those fronts is covered. Driving back and forth to Penticton did get tiring, bike check, registration, etc. Also race morning I had to leave pretty early, but I was up anyway, so that wasn't really an issue.

If you're going to do it, I would just say plan your trips into Penticton well, make sure you get everything done, know how long it will take, and then just sit back and relax.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
mike_w wrote:
I'm also hoping that Whistler keeps the half. That could solve some of the issues with the post-Pemberton course, enabling a single loop and fully opening the roads by noon. I am much more likely to sign up for another race in Whistler vs. Pemberton just due to the additional things for the family to do (not to mention differences in accommodation quality/cost and travel time).

Did you mean to say Penticton?

Yes
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did Whistler last year. Probably my favorite triathlon venue to date. Hate to see it go.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:

Oliver is a 40km drive and doesn't have a lot of accommodation. Most visitors to Oliver stay in Osoyoos or Penticton.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It s impossible to please everyone. I love whistler and hope they keep a 70.3. But Penticton is a iconic course that was selling out in hours until it s demise in 2012. Imc is going back where it was born and in my completely subjective opinion, the best course in the world.

Penticton is everything but a flat course. It s not a easy ride and those 30-50min climb sure can break groups apart.

But as I said, it s impossible to please everyone

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
y_nigel wrote:

Yeah, it's not terrible. I did it two of the three times I raced there, largely due to the lack of options in Penticton.

It was nice because Oliver has good places to swim/bike/run, and also grocery, places to eat, etc. So everything on those fronts is covered. Driving back and forth to Penticton did get tiring, bike check, registration, etc. Also race morning I had to leave pretty early, but I was up anyway, so that wasn't really an issue.

If you're going to do it, I would just say plan your trips into Penticton well, make sure you get everything done, know how long it will take, and then just sit back and relax.

awesome - thanks for the reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shall we wager on whether it sells out past year one? I think you will find that the 'iconic' race there is of not huge appeal to many/most of the people not rooted in their emotional history there. I hope it is successful, but cannot see how a race so hard to get to, will be a big interest.

One question, best in the world? Have you done the European IMs or the Asian/S. Pacific IMs?

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
in my completely subjective opinion, the best course in the world.

You're probably a wee bit biased.
It's a pretty nice course, but always disappointed me that because of logistics and course difficulty it couldn't use some of the minor roads.
I'd love to see it go up Green Lake Rd, Willowbrook to Fairview, or maybe down to Oliver and over to Black Sage.
Also, Twin Lakes to White lake Rd on the last portion
That would push the elevation gain well north of 2100m. FUN!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have no clue how it will turnout. Only time will tell. But whistler started at 2600 participant in 2012 and was down to about 1100 last year. And the city wasnt overly excited about the event on a logistic and closing highway standpoint. So WTC had to do something.

I been in the sport of triathlon for 20+ years....race professionally on almost all continent and/or been involved with many races as working force etc... i do have a idea of the races around.... lots of great races and as i said, not one single races please everyone. I love whistler, go every single year to the race and hope it goes on... but people didnt want to register for the full anymore.... or at least not in big numbers.

Penticton isnt exactly hard to get to... it s like getting to lake placid. if that is consider complicated...then....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
jonnyo wrote:

It's a pretty nice course, but always disappointed me that because of logistics and course difficulty it couldn't use some of the minor roads.
I'd love to see it go up Green Lake Rd, Willowbrook to Fairview, or maybe down to Oliver and over to Black Sage.

i m not sure how much more clear i could have made it that i was biais

personally... i prefer richter pass to white lake, black sage etc. I dont know why but i do. I m not from penticton, i felt in love with the place so move here but there is something about those big climb on the course that make it special. a great biker course where you can make big time and ride away from groups.

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Oh great, let's replace a fantastic race with one that harder to get to, more expensive to stay in, is significantly flatter and likely another place for the ever increasing draft fests.... Count me out, thank goodness for StG....

+1. Just signed up for Whistler because of this news, third year in a row. Couch to Ironman in 10 weeks, what could go wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 1200m of elevation gain is not really a bikers course.

I just prefer to be off provincial highways with the heavy summer traffic.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: May 8, 19 14:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I side from all the other stuff.

Why Ironman (full) is better in Penticton then Whistler. For Local triathletes West coast to Calgary. You get the best Training prep for the race in that city.

Late August means you can go and ride the course and train in Penticton a lot during July and august. And while you are there do another local race like the peach, apple, etc.

You can start your training season a bit late and enjoy better weather and more time to travel and do other lead up races.

Whistler is not a great training location for biking. Pool is fine and lake takes a while to heat up.

This is a win for the local triathletes over the world. But I am bias too.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not familiar enough with the old course and how it would tie-in, but the road the portion of Willowbrook Road that the Oliver half used last year was amazing.
Last edited by: y_nigel: May 8, 19 15:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
i have no clue how it will turnout. Only time will tell. But whistler started at 2600 participant in 2012 and was down to about 1100 last year. ....

Are you sure about that? I thought it sold out with some large numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not 100% accurate but 1180 finisher last year.(sportstats results) add the DNF and DNS and you have the full meal

2012 was over 3000 if you add DNF and DNS

the 70.3 as help greatly in making the race financially viable

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel the same way, unfortunate they are moving away from Whistler. Think you summarize pretty well the cons.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike_w wrote:
I'm also hoping that Whistler keeps the half. That could solve some of the issues with the post-Pemberton course, enabling a single loop and fully opening the roads by noon. I am much more likely to sign up for another race in Whistler vs. Pemberton just due to the additional things for the family to do (not to mention differences in accommodation quality/cost and travel time).

God yes and I have a place in whistler. Having a home course is fabulous.

So glad I’ve been to training for my first full this July. I’d have hated to miss it
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
jonnyo wrote:

The very last think i want in an Ironman full is hard to get to and painful logistics once there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Shall we wager on whether it sells out past year one? I think you will find that the 'iconic' race there is of not huge appeal to many/most of the people not rooted in their emotional history there. I hope it is successful, but cannot see how a race so hard to get to, will be a big interest.

One question, best in the world? Have you done the European IMs or the Asian/S. Pacific IMs?

It's probably unfair to compare any race now to high water IM participation rates in 2012. So yeah, I don't think Penticton is going to hit the numbers it achieved in the past even in year one (or is it 31). I did the ITU Long Course race there in 2017 and I've done 4 European IMs. Regardless of course differences between ITU and the so-called 'iconic' course back in the day, Penticton cannot hold a candle to any of the European venues. I've done IM South Africa too, and that one also squashed Penticton as both a destination event and in crowd support.

On the plus side, I did not consider getting to Penticton difficult (coming from Tampa, FL). I think many of the people who say it is hard to get to predominantly race only the venue closest to them. And I did like the swim there. But that's about it. Penticton certainly doesn't merit a repeat visit unless you are into wineries which are admittedly not my thing. However, like all IMs, I want to see it succeed. I just didn't see the big deal when I went. Jonnyo is right though, everyone is different.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not hard to get to huh...from Austin, it is faster and easier to fly to Nice than Penticton! :)

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
I side from all the other stuff.

Why Ironman (full) is better in Penticton then Whistler. For Local triathletes West coast to Calgary. You get the best Training prep for the race in that city.

Late August means you can go and ride the course and train in Penticton a lot during July and august. And while you are there do another local race like the peach, apple, etc.

You can start your training season a bit late and enjoy better weather and more time to travel and do other lead up races.

Whistler is not a great training location for biking. Pool is fine and lake takes a while to heat up.

This is a win for the local triathletes over the world. But I am bias too.

I have done extensive training in Whistler and Penticton. Whistler, IMHO, is a far better location to train. Alta Lake is a great place to swim, and there are many other excellent choices nearby if you want to change things up. The road riding is mostly on the hiway, but there are large lanes to ride in, I always felt 100% safe (except the descent and climb to and from Pemberton, which is no longer an issue), and the running options are amazing.
In Penticton, and throughout the Okanagon, I NEVER felt safe riding. Narrow or no shoulders on most of the roads, tons of fast traffic, and poor sight lines for drivers due to the abundant curves. The lakes get much more wind and chop, and they are so big it is hard to get perspective on distance. I never found any good running trails, but I am sure there are some, just not as many or as obvious as at Whistler.
AND- I found the Okanagon to be beautiful, but BORING.
I never raced IM in Penticton due to the many logistic issues that have been noted, and the outrageous price gouging, but I trained there 2 summers, and rode the course several times. Even without considering the white knuckle traffic issues, I far prefer the riding in Whistler.
From a course perspective, Penticton would not make my top 10- sorry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just flew to Spokane and had a pleasant drive up from there. It was straightforward and interesting to see how the geography changed so much on the drive.

I hear you on Nice. I flew direct from Tampa to Zurich for IM Switzerland - super simple, but getting to Ironman Norway was complicated although well worth the effort. Compared to going to Norway or South Africa (OMG - 3 flights including one over 15 hrs) traveling to Penticton is a nothing-burger.

But my "local IM" is IM Florida - a 6 hour drive with no need for TBT or a bike bag. I believe that is the sort of standard by which people are judging getting to Penticton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
Penticton isnt exactly hard to get to... it s like getting to lake placid. if that is consider complicated...then....

Penticton is FAR easier to get to than Lake Placid.

Coming from the West Coast to Lake Placid for this years IM, I am flying from LA to Chicago, Chicago to Albany, and driving 2+hrs from Albany to Lake Placid.

As long as you can fly to Vancouver (most major airports fly direct), you can then get to Penticton or Kelowna pretty easily.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next