Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vietnam 70.3, great pro field
Quote | Reply
I just saw the start list for Vietnam 70.3, it's got a class field.

Men:

Patrick Lange
Tim Don
Craig Alexander
Tim Reed
Tim Van Berkel
Mauricio Mendez
Sam Appleton
Mike Phillips
Kevin Collington
Dylan McNeice
Luke McKenzie

I would love to see Crowie dust all of them

Women:

Radka
Holly Lawrence
Sarah Crowley
Ellie Salthouse
Angela Naeth

It seems pretty surprising that this race would turn up such a great field, seems like it might be a stronger field than showed up at St. George last weekend.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam 70.3, great pro field [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow there are some heavy hitters there!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam 70.3, great pro field [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man!!!! It's going to be a very interesting race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does the purse compare with STG?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam 70.3, great pro field [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big time field. Is it going to be on Facebook live? Will be interesting to see how Crowie stacks up. If he can hang with the swim he should be in the mix.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious to see how Tim Reed, Tim Don, and Holly Lawrence do just one week after a race. Also, is Angela Naeth racing yet? I thought she had medical complications and was just recently getting back into running.
Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam 70.3, great pro field [andrewhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've raced here twice before - very hot conditions especially off the bike.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree. That is a very impressive start list.

Racing in the heat?

It's really a difficult to get to location.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Earlier today Ellie Salthouse posted on her Insta she’s in Da Nang and "woke up with a bad flu" but hasn’t ruled out racing Sunday.

CC
Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam 70.3, great pro field [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
...It's really a difficult to get to location.
How so?
Da Nang is a major city with an airport. Doesn't seem much harder than anywhere else.
Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam 70.3, great pro field [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has Sam Appleton recovered? he broke his clavicle in Oceanside. Is this the actual list of athletes who will start, or is this the list of athletes who signed up thinking they might do this race.
Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam 70.3, great pro field [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Big time field. Is it going to be on Facebook live? Will be interesting to see how Crowie stacks up. If he can hang with the swim he should be in the mix.

Nope, no Facebook live coverage - unless they change up their posted schedule, the only 70.3 race they will cover this year is the World Championships in Nice. Shame too, because I find the racing in the 70.3s a lot more entertaining!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
PJC wrote:

How so?
Da Nang is a major city with an airport. Doesn't seem much harder than anywhere else.

Word. I find IMMD to be the most annoying to get to more than any international race I've done or thought about going to.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam 70.3, great pro field [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Romain Guillaume also in the mix, probably very confident after winning Challenge Taiwan 2 weeks ago

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam 70.3, great pro field [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
PJC wrote:

How so?

Word. I find IMMD to be the most annoying to get to more than any international race I've done or thought about going to.

For example you can only fly in on a Tuesday or Thursday from Australia. And it’s expensive for what it is.
You also can’t fly direct with 3 flights needed.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
hadukla wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
PJC wrote:

How so?

For example you can only fly in on a Tuesday or Thursday from Australia. And it’s expensive for what it is.
You also can’t fly direct with 3 flights needed.
Ah right - So you really meant:

"It's really a difficult to get to location for me"

There's nothing unusually difficult about it as a location. If your own specific flight options aren't great that's hardly a fair criticism of the race. It's as much your fault for living somewhere so hard to get there from! ;)

It's not trivial for me either. Two flights required and at least one of them's a long one; but then it would be exactly the same for me to get to a race in Sydney, Melbourne or Perth!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep... not too hard to get here at all!

I traveled from NorCal so it's a significant amount of travel time but lots of flights into Da Nang via Seoul, Hong Kong and Singapore... and the race is just 20' from Da Nang airport.

This race will be all about managing the heat and humidity... it's on another level compared to racing in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam 70.3, great pro field [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
Yep... not too hard to get here at all!

I traveled from NorCal so it's a significant amount of travel time but lots of flights into Da Nang via Seoul, Hong Kong and Singapore... and the race is just 20' from Da Nang airport.

This race will be all about managing the heat and humidity... it's on another level compared to racing in Kona.

Sorry so just for interest. What flights did you take to get there and how long door to door.

As in. Left home 6am la to wherever 11hr flight. Then here to there. Another 3 hours. Then a 20 min cab to hotel blah blah.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it’s 16hr 40 with my first flight at 2am and 3 flights in total for $1500 return.

Door to door 20 hours total. For a 70.3.

I don’t call that easy.

Qantas QF8433 | Operated by Emirates
02:35
7h 40
08:15
BNE Brisbane
SIN Singapore Changi
Connect in airport
2h 45
Jetstar JQ110 | Operated by Jetstar Pacific Airlines
11:00
2h 05
12:05
SIN Singapore Changi
SGN Ho Chi Minh City
Connect in airport
2h 50
VietJet Air VJ654
14:55
1h 20
16:15
SGN Ho Chi Minh City
DAD Da Nang
Arrives: Wed, 22 May 2019Journey duration: 16h 40

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Left SF at 8am on Tuesday morning and arrived Da Nang hotel at 11pm Wednesday night.

- 30min drive to SFO from home (husband dropped me at the airport on his way to work)
- 12.5hr flight from SFO to Seoul
- 4hr layover in Seoul
- 4.25hr flight to Da Nang
- 20min drive to hotel

So about 25hrs of travel... but nothing about it was complicated especially since you hand in your luggage at SFO and don't see it again until Da Nang. It’s a race-cation... the 70.3 is an excuse to visit Vietnam.

If I’d had to drive or go via bus for multiple hours to get to the ultimate destination, that’s different but two flights followed by a 20’ taxi to the hotel is straightforward. I think it was more complicated travel when I raced IM Cozumel... flight to Cancun, bus to Playa del Carmen, (awful) ferry ride to Cozumel... that is a painful journey with a bag and a bike!
Last edited by: sfjab: May 11, 19 3:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. Be great to hear how you go.

Good luck tomorrow

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
How does the purse compare with STG?

Scott

They are both 70.3 Regional Champs, $75k. You can see a complete list of all upcoming races here: http://eu.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz5nbfTq5uA

The race organizers take amazing care of the pros out their in Vietnam (and the Philippines), and probably has a bit to do with the quality of the field showing up. Along with that, a handful of them are sponsored by the race organizers........

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam 70.3, great pro field [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helluva race going on. Top 12 separated by 3:20 through 4K

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Vietnam 70.3, great pro field [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like a cool $150k for one week of racing by HL. Great way to kick start a comeback!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Patrick took the win, they said it was very hot..I was just having a look at a lot of the top pro guys splits, and seems like a very large group came out of the water in 22+ and they all rode a 2;07. Not much on the bike to split them up I suppose, then came down to a foot race...
Quote Reply

Prev Next