Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whistler as so many hotels and summer is low season so they have to drop the price.

I believe that at some point in the last two year's Whistler's Summer Business, surpassed it's Winter Business.

Last year, I heard that many folks who had been to IMC in Whistler were noting a significant increase in Hotel Room prices!

Here's the other thing about Whistler after being there last year to see it first hand. No question that it's a fabulous location - stunning actually, and the event was very well organized, but I had the sense that many people in the town either had no idea about it or didn't seem to care. Whistler hosts SO MANY events now, they all start to become a blur if they are not on the level of say CrankWerx or the WorldCup Downhill, they get kind of lost in the shuffle - and that's how IMC in Whistler felt to me. I heard they had difficulty getting the volunteer numbers they needed in Whistler - due to volunteer fatigue within the Whistler community.

Contrast that with IMC in Penticton, which while it was there, really put Penticton on the map! The town, historically REALLY cared about it. In Penticton again, historically you NEVER had any issues getting volunteers.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Trygal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who did 18 Ironman Canada from the late 1980's to 2008 I think it would be a wonderful idea to return to Penticton, I loved going there for the race from southern CA every year it was so much fun, the town was great, the people looked after you really well, yes there was the issues of hotels etc. implementing the four or five night rule in the mid 90's. but I guess I was lucky to meet some wonderful folks that after the initial years in hotels we stayed with a couple who ran a B and B and therefore got to live the Penticton life with them for a week, then we would go off for another week after the race, exploring around BC or Alberta, such happy times. The course was one thing that attracted me being one loop swim, and bike, yes it changed over the years but it was a great course with plenty of volunteers, I was lucky enough to qualify quite a few times for Hawaii there and as much I loved that race for different reasons it was hard to beat Penticton. I just wish I would be able to go back and race there if it returns.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well play diamond......!!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Council has approved (as expected), it’s official!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YAYYYY!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Furiosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome news - i'm totally in
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Great news! When will we have dates? Wouldn't it be cool to book hotels now before they change their prices!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what they’re going to do with Whistler? I’m assuming a 70.3 probably in the usual late July date.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Anyone know what they’re going to do with Whistler? I’m assuming a 70.3 probably in the usual late July date.

I was going to ask the same question. I hope they at least keep the 70.3 in Whistler. We are heading there in July for the full (me) and the half (my husband). Glad I signed up for Whistler this year. That being said I think we would sign up for Penticton in the future. I love races steeped in history and love that the whole town is excited to host the athletes.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be inconceivably bummed if they shelve whistler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what's the outcome? I got the sense that it was just a Council vote to support a bid.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I am reading this correctly, Penticton approved to accept a bid but I haven't heard that Ironman has approached them....is this correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman staff was in town yesturday to present the negotiated contract to the city with details of what will happen. The city voted on the go ahead to finalize the negotiation. So it s a done deal. Penticton will be the only Ironman in western canada and Ironman will keep the old classic one loop bike course. They will also keep the old tradition of the race with banquet, etc. The race is In August 2020 for 5 year contract. Ironman want to sign contract now as it s quick turnaround.

The city is very excited to get te race back and community support is very high currently

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you saying Whistler full is done?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, they said Penticton will be ironman canada and they will only be imc and tremblant in canada. So you go ahead with conclusion....

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea what that course would look like elevation wise on the bike/run based on the previous course? I did St. George this year and it was fun but definitely challenging. I'm ready for something a little flatter!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Animalmom2 wrote:

Agree. Hopefully the half lives on. Thank god nobody is taking the bike park, though. :)

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [trm08b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trm08b wrote:
Any idea what that course would look like elevation wise on the bike/run based on the previous course? I did St. George this year and it was fun but definitely challenging. I'm ready for something a little flatter!

I think the classic course is about 1200-1300m (4000 ft?) with 2 long climbs (6 and 10 miles long). So, not flat but a lot flatter than the Whistler course(s); Last year, IMC bike it was about 9500 ft.

Not sure what the run will end up looking like.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CyclingClyde wrote:
trm08b wrote:

I think the classic course is about 1200-1300m (4000 ft?) with 2 long climbs (6 and 10 miles long). So, not flat but a lot flatter than the Whistler course(s); Last year, IMC bike it was about 9500 ft.

Not sure what the run will end up looking like.

Nice! I don't mind a hilly bike but getting off that and then heading uphill on the run hits hard. I should probably up my training though ha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh great, let's replace a fantastic race with one that harder to get to, more expensive to stay in, is significantly flatter and likely another place for the ever increasing draft fests.... Count me out, thank goodness for StG....

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Animalmom2 wrote:

Agree. Hopefully the half lives on. Thank god nobody is taking the bike park, though. :)

Personally I am bummed about the full leaving Whistler (hopefully the half remains) especially as this year's bike course looks to be fixed - you can thank/blame Pemberton for the last couple of years.

As my first full, I feel that Penticton is a special course: exciting/chaotic mass start, although these days with the swim initiative I imagine they'll do a rolling start, fantastic single loop bike course and a great run, unless you're out there alone after dark. In Penticton you KNOW Ironman is in town whereas in Whistler it just fits in with everything else going on. However availability and unbelievable price gouging for truly miserable (read: sh!thole) accommodations is a serious turnoff as is the late August date.

In truth I'll probably sign up for it again eventually but would take a rotating Whistler over that. Full disclosure: I have a place in Whistler so there's a major convenience factor at play here too.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So did Whistler just go "eff it, I'm out. We make more money with Crankworx anyway"?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [shaggyrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also hoping that Whistler keeps the half. That could solve some of the issues with the post-Pemberton course, enabling a single loop and fully opening the roads by noon. I am much more likely to sign up for another race in Whistler vs. Pemberton just due to the additional things for the family to do (not to mention differences in accommodation quality/cost and travel time).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike_w wrote:
I'm also hoping that Whistler keeps the half. That could solve some of the issues with the post-Pemberton course, enabling a single loop and fully opening the roads by noon. I am much more likely to sign up for another race in Whistler vs. Pemberton just due to the additional things for the family to do (not to mention differences in accommodation quality/cost and travel time).

Did you mean to say Penticton?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getting super ahead of myself - but would staying in Oliver be practical?
i'd rather spend a week at Lakeside Resort than in-town in Penticton
Quote Reply

Prev Next