Login required to post replies

Prev Next
People that go around school buses
Quote | Reply
Death penalty eligible IMO
Quote Reply
Re: People that go around school buses [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are companies that are providing stop-arm cameras for buses and working with LEO to issue violations. The company and the school districts are splitting the money. Austin ISD in Texas is using them and has generated close to $9 million dollars (IIRC) in the last 3-4 years.

Some states allow this partnership and some don't. I have been to several conferences where there have been presentations on this. I support it wholeheartedly. I have no financial/business interest in the company that does it - but it increases safety (few repeat offenders) and generates revenue for the school districts.

Another company has come out with sensors that actually determine if a car is approaching and likely to stop or keep going. If the car is likely to keep going (based on speed and distance) an alarm sounds alerting students and the driver.
Quote Reply
Re: People that go around school buses [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I supported you on this, can you reconsider your decision about allowing boats on the other thread? If nothing else, you can specify that boats made by Key West are acceptable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Since I supported you on this, can you reconsider your decision about allowing boats on the other thread? If nothing else, you can specify that boats made by Key West are acceptable.

I'm trying to find quirky offbeat things people spend money on like boat lifts, tractors or a modern version of an old timey dive suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

I am to the point where all motor vehicles should be equipped with cameras and video from those cameras should be legal in court. Every I see some jackass run a stop sign or red light.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that really a thing? I’ve never seen it and I live in Massachusetts, land of the masshole driver
Quote Reply
Re: People that go around school buses [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
Is that really a thing? I’ve never seen it and I live in Massachusetts, land of the masshole driver

Unfortunately it is. I get being impatient but it's a fucking school bus with little kids 45 seconds won't kill you but being an asshole can kill a kid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about people who won't pass a bus when it is not stopped but intentionally moving slow to let people pass, thereby making you stop 8 more times?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: People that go around school buses [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
windywave wrote:

I am to the point where all motor vehicles should be equipped with cameras and video from those cameras should be legal in court. Every I see some jackass run a stop sign or red light.

I'm not for death penalty, but life w/o parole would be good.
Yep, a week ago some jackass in Denver ran a red and t-boned my daughter-in-law hard enough to spin her and total her 3 year old Subaru . . . miracle she wasn't hurt or killed . . . she delivered a healthy 7 lb 3 oz son about 48 hours later.

Why can't people freaking drive like it matters!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Triocd wrote:

Unfortunately it is. I get being impatient but it's a fucking school bus with little kids 45 seconds won't kill you but being an asshole can kill a kid

I have never seen this. Not that it isn’t happening but I have not seen it.

Given that some people complain when their phone has an Amber alert after they are in bed (life is so hard on these people, harder than being abducted) it’s no real shock that people would pass a school bus.

News flash, many many people in this world only care about themselves.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: People that go around school buses [Mike D1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike D1 wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
windywave wrote:

Yep, a week ago some jackass in Denver ran a red and t-boned my daughter-in-law hard enough to spin her and total her 3 year old Subaru . . . miracle she wasn't hurt or killed . . . she delivered a healthy 7 lb 3 oz son about 48 hours later.

Subtle back door brag execution plus two points

New grandchild bonus plus six points
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Mike D1 wrote:

Congratulations to granddad Mike!

And I think 8 points may be a record.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

Now that would be manufacturer based discrimination.
Quote Reply
Re: People that go around school buses [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
windywave wrote:
Mike D1 wrote:

Congratulations to granddad Mike!

And I think 8 points may be a record.

Thanks and wow, never set any kind of record in my life!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Little harsh, no?

I stop for school buses, obviously, but sometimes it feels a bit silly/extreme. i.e. whole world stops for kids to hop off a bus only to walk a few steps into waiting parent's SUV . . . then a mere 100yards later, repeat the bus stopping, red lights flashing, stop the world again. . . repeat.

My pet peeve is that what this seems to be doing is training kids that they can get off any bus with impunity and just run across the street. When they get off a public transportation city bus, they're in for a rude surprise or a disaster waiting to happen.

As a kid, I grew up abroad. If we were lucky, we had the bus monitor get off the bus with us, wait for a gap in traffic before sending us scampering across the street. . . . And going across the street was across 18 lanes of traffic, uphill, both ways!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Triocd wrote:

I completely agree that there is no excuse for going around a school bus. None.

Wholly separate is how asinine bus routes are now. I cannot believe how many stops they make. Used to be, the bus would stop at the end of the block and all the kids on that block who rode the bus would gather at the end of the block. Not anymore. I cannot believe how often one can see a bus stop at a house, then the house right next door, then the house two down. It's ridiculous. But, the bus companies love it because price is usually a combination of distance and number of stops. That is why schools used to insist on limited stops. However, parents bitch so much now the school district must bend and give in to stops at every single house.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd rather they go through school buses?
Quote Reply
Re: People that go around school buses [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
Triocd wrote:

Wholly separate is how asinine bus routes are now. I cannot believe how many stops they make. Used to be, the bus would stop at the end of the block and all the kids on that block who rode the bus would gather at the end of the block. Not anymore. I cannot believe how often one can see a bus stop at a house, then the house right next door, then the house two down. It's ridiculous. But, the bus companies love it because price is usually a combination of distance and number of stops. That is why schools used to insist on limited stops. However, parents bitch so much now the school district must bend and give in to stops at every single house.

I get caught by a bus in a rural area about half the time on the way to work. It stops at 3 consecutive houses in one spot. I'm sure the kids walk through each other's yards every day of the year. But at 8:25 AM they don't. A couple miles further down it does it again. With a couple single stops sprinkled in. As time has gone on the kids have taken it upon themselves to get on together.

After the first stop of 3 the driver starts off slow to let people get around. Apparently there are people who think the prohibition about going around buses includes when they are moving too. So if you want to pass you'd have to go around a whole line of cars too, which isn't safe at all.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: People that go around school buses [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
windywave wrote:

Little harsh, no?

No. Furthermore it would prove the deterrent effect of the death penalty
Quote Reply
Re: People that go around school buses [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
Triocd wrote:

The fucking self centered helicopters are also probably the assholes going around the bus
Quote Reply
Re: People that go around school buses [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
Triocd wrote:

I get caught by a bus in a rural area about half the time on the way to work. It stops at 3 consecutive houses in one spot. I'm sure the kids walk through each other's yards every day of the year. But at 8:25 AM they don't. A couple miles further down it does it again. With a couple single stops sprinkled in. As time has gone on the kids have taken it upon themselves to get on together.

After the first stop of 3 the driver starts off slow to let people get around. Apparently there are people who think the prohibition about going around buses includes when they are moving too. So if you want to pass you'd have to go around a whole line of cars too, which isn't safe at all.

Didn't realize there is no longer a bus stop but personalized service. Soft.
Quote Reply
Re: People that go around school buses [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
Triocd wrote:

There's a lot of truth in these complaints. We're rural, and there are 3 stops in 4 houses on our road, ours included. Thing is, it covers almost 1/4 mile. Could the kids all congregate at one of the houses? Unlikely. No sidewalks, they'd have to walk down the road to do so. Walking through the properties is not realistic - the only months dry/nice enough to do so there isn't any school. Our driver is pretty good, as there's a pull-off right after and she stays there about a minute to let cars go by and even if they're way back down the road waits for them. Down in the town though, it's just ridiculous because they do stop every house that has a kid. Sometimes there will be 6 or 8 kids on a corner, but by law you can be picked up at your residence if you want. That's so silly. When a block covers 250 ft. shouldn't it just be a corner stop?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My impression after a few months here is that people drive horribly here. They take incredible risks, and do pretty stupid stuff on a regular basis just to gain 7 yards as if it were football.
And I've seen some pretty stupid driving already since we moved from Florida but that's an other level here.
Quote Reply
Re: People that go around school buses [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
windywave wrote:
Triocd wrote:

There's a lot of truth in these complaints. We're rural, and there are 3 stops in 4 houses on our road, ours included. Thing is, it covers almost 1/4 mile. Could the kids all congregate at one of the houses? Unlikely. No sidewalks, they'd have to walk down the road to do so. Walking through the properties is not realistic - the only months dry/nice enough to do so there isn't any school. Our driver is pretty good, as there's a pull-off right after and she stays there about a minute to let cars go by and even if they're way back down the road waits for them. Down in the town though, it's just ridiculous because they do stop every house that has a kid. Sometimes there will be 6 or 8 kids on a corner, but by law you can be picked up at your residence if you want. That's so silly. When a block covers 250 ft. shouldn't it just be a corner stop?

My kid has to actually walk to the end of our cul-de-sac. But once he arrives, there is a kid four houses to the left and another kid two houses to the right. It’s ridiculous. They stand there and wave at each other, sometimes even talk loudly to each other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Triocd wrote:

Haven't seen it in MA, but have in Michigan and California.

My daughter goes to an urban magnet school across town. It's a ~4 mile bus ride, she's the first stop. There are only 4 more stops her bus makes.
Then at night, she's got to walk just about 1 mile home.
It's a pretty consolidated bus route ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next