Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? May 6 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you? How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 6 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr TC. How are you doing?

Last week turned out pretty well. It was my biggest one in a while and I got a LOT of sleep on Friday and Saturday night to compensate.
This week I'm aiming for 3 x swim, 4 x bike & run and 2 strength sessions. The strength sessions haven't been getting much love recently - because of the all functional strength (i.e. dragging hose) I've been doing, I've found that I've preferred to do some youtube yoga.

I also have an exam on Saturday and on Sunday, hubby leaves on a trip for about two weeks. We haven't been apart for that long in a while (think over a decade) and I'm not looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 6 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik, I hope your healthy coping has continued.

Nice work Scheherazade -- good to see you sleeping and running well.

I guess last week's "mostly normal" wasn't quite enough for a good race -- I swam my worst swim since my first 70.3, I rode weak and slow, my run was okay, and my transitions were a total disaster (seriously: I have carpet burn from my T1 strip and slide and took a clumsy slip in T2 banging myself into a table and breaking my Garmin mount and scaring the daylights out of the wonderful volunteers. From cannon to chute, I just never felt good. :face palm: On the bright side, I saw some friends have fantastic days, had a great road trip, and feel no worse for the wear than I did before the race. And a bad day racing is always better than a good day at the office :D

It'll be a recovery week for me and pretty light -- I have suggested workouts in my plan but I'm going to see how I feel and be hyper-focused on getting back to feeling good.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 6 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bad races happen, but I'm sorry you had a bad day. But - yes - beats being at work!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, our progress is nonlinear! I knew racing three 70.3s in less than three months was going to be a stretch -- lesson learned. Onward!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting this going TC, nice work Scheherezade, and SoCal, sorry about the race.

I did fine last week. I did a 5k and didn't get up to the speed I wanted, but it was still a PR (not that I have many R's at this point).

I have two weeks before I start a Mike Ricci plan for the Lake Placid 70.3. I'm going to focus on biking this week, try to get 5 rides in, along with 3 runs, 1 swim, and 1-2 strength sessions.

Good luck everyone.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 6 Edition [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a PR is a PR! Congrats!

Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 6 Edition [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woo Giant Newb! Also, Mike Ricci is very wise -- good pick.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
had a pretty good week - found out I am anemic, so am currently in the market for a non-constipating iron supplement. (Any recommendations?)

more later, just hoping for help on the iron right now :P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
had a pretty good week - found out I am anemic, so am currently in the market for a non-constipating iron supplement. (Any recommendations?)

more later, just hoping for help on the iron right now :P

Natural sources- dark leafy greens, liver, and molasses. The pills are destined to back you right the eff up. Sorry about that :(

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ladies,

I'm slinking back in here after a rough week of being on the mend. I'm finally in a good headspace and body-space and I'm done looking back. I saw my ortho last week and the good news is no serious break, and I have the green light to walk in the boot without crutches if there is no pain (and there hasn't been since Saturday), aqua jog, swim, and lift. The bad news is stress fracture is still on the table, and there's some (okay a lot) of soft tissue and nerve damage. I still can't wiggle my toes. I tried last night and just screamed in rage while watching TV, scaring the daylights out of my husband.

Okay, no looking back, I promised.

This week's goals- Rebound.

M- Lifting and a boot walk (Done. I threw some heavy shit around today and it helped quell my anger and frustration a LOT)
Tu- 45min of aquajogging, core
W- A bunch of functional strength work
Th- 2000yd swim and core
F- Lifting and a boot walk
Sa- Boot dancing at my friend's wedding
Su- rest

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you are new(ish) at it, the PRs are easier to come by - enjoy and celebrate it!!!
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 6 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Movement without crutches sounds like a big win.

Good luck with staying patient and letting your body do the healing.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 6 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you might be able to recumbent bike, too?
I forgot about molasses - thanks!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake, cheering for a full and fast recovery!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
you might be able to recumbent bike, too?
I forgot about molasses - thanks!!!

That was also suggested, but I haaaaaaaate the recumbent bike. At least the ones at my rec center. Also this boot thing is not very conducive to laying flat on a surface, so I think putting that situation through a saggital plane of motion wont' be doing me any favors.

I forgot about lentils! They are also nice and high in iron. Others include quinoa, pumpkin seeds, and dark chocolate (no really. you're welcome!)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gotcha! lol

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my goal was to do stuff that makes me faster (check) and use healthy coping skills (mostly)

This is going to look like I ran a bunch of doubles but not really - our pool is back to closing at 9 am, so when I ran twice it was run/swim/run so I could sneak a swim in. (I like to run first)

M: 5.5 mi run (3 x 1 mi @ 8:13, my 10k pace) + 1075 yd swim
T: 4.5 mi run + 1425 yd swim
W: 5.2 mi run + 625 yd swim + 5.3 mi run
T: 5 mi run
F: 5 mi run + 425 yd swim + 3.3 mi run
S: 7.2 mi run (3 x 2 mi @ 8:34 pace) + 1025 yd swim
S: 44 mi bike

overly pleased w/ self for having biked more miles in the week than I ran.

goals for this week - same as last week!

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: May 8, 19 3:44
Re: How are you and how was your week? May 6 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the link! you can totally post about rock climbing adventures...
when does your dd start at her new school?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, as Dr TC said, please post about your rock-climbing. It'll be a good reminder of the outside world for those of us who get triathlon tunnel vision ;-)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome Anna. I miss the excitement/exhilaration of new hobbies. Please keep sharing your stories.

Funny aside - my 7 year old son and I are doing an 'intro to orienteering" course right now. Last night I was trying to convince him to run and he told me "come on mom, I'm a sprinter not a marathoner!". It was funny and I'm pretty sure he thinks a marathon is anything longer than 50m or so...
Last edited by: edbikebabe: May 8, 19 11:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glad you had a good time! If you end up doing a lot of crack climbing, you can get gloves so your hands don't get beat up. They are fingerless gloves and really are not "gloves" because the material is on the back of your hand - the same rubber they make climbing shoe soles out of. Genius invention in the past 5 years or so. My brother likes crack climbing better than any other sort and that's what a lot of the climbing in Utah is.

Quote Reply