Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Does anyone actually like jury duty?
Quote | Reply
Just got my summons. I get the whole civic duty and and obligation to the due process of this country mumbo jumbo but I can't seem to get myself looking forward to the process. Starting on the day before, I have to call in and see if I'm on the list. Repeat for 90 days or so until they increase my work stress by forcing me to show up at the court house or officially take my number out of the rotation. Why does jury duty feel like an invasive, tedious, torture procedure that next to no one looks forward to doing?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone actually like jury duty? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an arduous process. I have to call once and see if I have to go... if yes go if no then off the hook til next time.

I find it interesting. I have yet to be chosen when I did have to gi, but if I were it would be neat to witness the process unfold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Jury duty. Unfortunately, have gotten selected 3 times, once was away at college so they let it go. The next I went down but just before lunch they let half of us go. Third time was not needed.

I would love to get on a trial, and be happy to serve.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t say I like it but I’m ok with it. I’m a lawyer (but not a litigator) so it’s interesting to see the machine at work.

Served on a jury about 10 years ago, on a DUI case. It was interesting. Went through voir dire on an arson/murder 2 case last summer, didn’t get selected for the jury - that would have been interesting too, but was slated to be a 2 week trial, which would have been a burden.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone actually like jury duty? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mind the actual idea of serving (never done so, as of yet). I loathe the process and the uncertainty. Which means that I don't want to go through it.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Dad is retired. He loved it. Did not get chosen, but went to watch trial anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone actually like jury duty? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
it’s interesting to see the machine at work.

Exactly. And to see if all the stuff taught in advocacy classes about questioning a witness are actually practiced
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jury duty is for the birds. My first summons was before the call-in process so I had to go in and was selected the first day. Came up with an excuse and was dismissed. Next summons I called in daily and had to go in on Friday to serve half a day before being dismissed. I dismissed a few afterward until last year and just a few weeks ago that I was excused. I don’t plan on ever serving.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Jury duty is for the birds. My first summons was before the call-in process so I had to go in and was selected the first day.

Holy crap how old are you.. my first time was in late 80's and it was a call in system.

travelmama wrote:
Came up with an excuse and was dismissed. Next summons I called in daily and had to go in on Friday to serve half a day before being dismissed. I dismissed a few afterward until last year and just a few weeks ago that I was excused. I don’t plan on ever serving.

Not sure why you would think its for the birds?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone actually like jury duty? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
travelmama wrote:
Jury duty is for the birds. My first summons was before the call-in process so I had to go in and was selected the first day.

Holy crap how old are you.. my first time was in late 80's and it was a call in system.

travelmama wrote:
Came up with an excuse and was dismissed. Next summons I called in daily and had to go in on Friday to serve half a day before being dismissed. I dismissed a few afterward until last year and just a few weeks ago that I was excused. I don’t plan on ever serving.

I am 47 and any given trial can last longer than most want to serve on.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
travelmama wrote:

travelmama wrote:

So since your civic duty my inconvenience you, you want to abrogate your obligation. Got it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got called twice when I was in my 20s and was happy then that I didn't get picked, saw it more as a nuisance than anything. Got called a few years ago (I'm 53 now) and didn't get picked but was willing to serve if asked since it would be interesting to actually see the process at work.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone actually like jury duty? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
travelmama wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
travelmama wrote:

travelmama wrote:

So since your civic duty my inconvenience you, you want to abrogate your obligation. Got it.
Why are you bothered by me not wanting to serve jury duty again?

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
windywave wrote:
travelmama wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
travelmama wrote:

travelmama wrote:

There's a difference between not wanting to donit and saying it's for the birds because it may take too long. Boo fucking who. I class your whining in the same category as people who don't pull over for ambulances
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
travelmama wrote:
windywave wrote:
travelmama wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
travelmama wrote:

travelmama wrote:

There's a difference between not wanting to donit and saying it's for the birds because it may take too long. Boo fucking who. I class your whining in the same category as people who don't pull over for ambulances
Thanks for taking the time to give me some thought.

Quote | Reply
I’ve been called once when I was 22 and was selected to serve on capital murder case. It was intense. We found him guilty, but did not vote to sentence him to death. For the longest time, I had no desire to ever get called again. I figured I had done my civic duty. Not many people have to have that responsibility placed on their shoulders. Enough time has passed that I would be ok if I got called again, even if it was another murder trial.

I feel very strongly that as a citizen of this country, it is your responsibility to serve when called when you are a salaried employee. I have sympathy for those who would take a financial hit for serving. Trying to get out of it merely because you find it inconvenient is abhorrent. Quite frankly, people who do this should have their right to vote revoked. Permanently.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone actually like jury duty? [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
windywave wrote:
travelmama wrote:
windywave wrote:
travelmama wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
travelmama wrote:

travelmama wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to give me some thought.

[This post has been redacted as part of my be nicer initiative]
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone actually like jury duty? [VagueRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VagueRunner wrote:
Trying to get out of it merely because you find it inconvenient is abhorrent.

Certain people would disagree
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several of the plugs I worked with loved it. They got paid from work and didn't have to show up at the hospital. The worse one was the Grand Jury guy who got a week a month off from the job for a year, left us short and cruised thru the Grand Jury process and thought it was great. The only good thing about all of them they were the folks you didn't like to work with that much any way.anyway
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone actually like jury duty? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Several of the plugs I worked with loved it. They got paid from work and didn't have to show up at the hospital. The worse one was the Grand Jury guy who got a week a month off from the job for a year, left us short and cruised thru the Grand Jury process and thought it was great. The only good thing about all of them they were the folks you didn't like to work with that much any way.anyway

I would imagine you all would be at the top of the list for being excused
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a summons too; I'll be on call for July.

I kind of enjoy jury duty and consider it my civic obligation.

Have served three times:
1) Drunk driving trial with complications, we found the guy guilty and he went to jail. Back to jail, actually - the poor sad bastard had just gotten out.
2) Kidnapping trial; was rather interesting. Lots of complications and I watched a cop perjure himself rather obviously. We found the defendant not guilty.
3) Called up, but excused from service, as I had testified against the judge in an unrelated civil case not too long previously. Was interesting to air that dirty laundry in front of a large audience!
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone actually like jury duty? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
I wouldn’t say I like it but I’m ok with it. I’m a lawyer (but not a litigator) so it’s interesting to see the machine at work.

Served on a jury about 10 years ago, on a DUI case. It was interesting. Went through voir dire on an arson/murder 2 case last summer, didn’t get selected for the jury - that would have been interesting too, but was slated to be a 2 week trial, which would have been a burden.

They put a lawyer on a jury? Lawyers aren’t even eligible here.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A month ago I served on a jury for a drunk driving case.

It was interesting but overall kind of a pain. The court was an hour away, and my kids daycare is near my work. So I had to drop them off, then go to the court which was 90 min in total.

We deliberated until 515 (after the court was supposed to close). The dui lawyer was the sleaziest person I’ve seen in a while. It was super frustrating because his tactics almost worked.

Saturday morning 9am. The defendant hit a fire hydrant downtown which wrecked his tire. He parks in a nearby parking lot and passes out because he’s shitfaced. The lawyers argument was that he worked the whole night before and was tired. Meanwhile he can barely walk, talk, and reeks of booze. He was found guilty but 2 jurors didn’t think there was enough evidence until we deliberated for a while and convinced them.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone actually like jury duty? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
wimsey wrote:

They put a lawyer on a jury? Lawyers aren’t even eligible here.

Yes. In my state lawyers have been eligible for jury duty for over 30 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way Windy, I tried 6 days to Sunday to get out of it even stating that my experience in ER/OR made me very bias toward criminals and prisoners from dealing with them at work. The judge said in private that since this was a home robbery case that it shouldn't make a difference in being fair. MDs, cops and lawyers are about the only automatic DQs that I am aware of. Next time I get called since I am over 65 now, I am going to try a mustard stain on my shirt, a few days beard growth, some disheveled clothing and not combing my hair. I can look pretty sorry without trying very hard.
Quote Reply

Prev Next