Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Single loop courses are a luxury most IM races can not afford, partly I suspect because of VOLUNTEERS. Penticton is the home of the original IRON-ARMY. I still see senior citizens at the Cherry Lane Mall sporting their volunteer t-shirts from the 1990s!

Agreed.

For the most part now other then a few exceptions, they are a thing of the past.

The big single loop courses are considerably more work, more costly, and less engaging for spectators, sponsors and other stakeholders.

Guessing - but I can see them going to a two loop swim, hopefully keeping the bike the same (single loop) and a two loop run - more or less in town.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2009, and absolutely LOVED it!! Great city, great course, great people, and I got to hear "Oh Canada....." at the banquet dinner. I would go back in 2020 in a second. Just please include Richter Pass and Yellow Lake on the bike course to keep it challenging. Oh, and yes the last 10 miles back to town on the massive downhill highway/interstate, where you easily hit 50mph and pass the cars. Fun times!!!!

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Trygal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks God, best news I have heard in a while, sorry Ironman Canada's true home is Penticton, that awful 3 loop bike course in Whistler last year was a travesty.
Last edited by: pokey: May 4, 19 14:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Penticton is a great town, I enjoyed my three races there. Whistler is great as well, I would say it's better (much better) in terms of lodging availability and family fun. I'd prefer it stay in Whistler.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
with the current climate change, it's a safe bet to say all western canada and usa will be greatly affected by forest fire for extended period in the summer. we all expect it will happen again this year and are learning to live with it.

Yeah, it was pretty bad last August. My little girl was only about five months old last summer, we kept her inside for a solid week. Been trying to figure out how to hermetically sealed the house.

My buddy went to do one of the famous Alpine rides in Whistler, but couldn't see anything from the top.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last summer was bad anywhere in bc, alberta, wa, cal, ore, idaho. with little kids, it s difficult as they get affected. But this is a new reality we will have to deal with for many years to come. I took off in high mountain a few times with the kids and camp to escape the smoke!

whistler as much better lodging option. it s such a fun weekend there with family etc so i hope both races stay. I m always looking forward to that race and my athletes love it.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really hope they keep something in whistler
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do most people fly into Vancouver for Penticton? Looks like a 4.5 hour drive.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
Do most people fly into Vancouver for Penticton? Looks like a 4.5 hour drive.

I was living in Vancouver the past few years and did the 4 hour drive or so for the Multisport world champs and Superleague, but if I was coming from further a field would look at flying into Penticton. You could also fly to Kelowna which is a bigger town pretty close by!

instagram.com/42pointtwo
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I just looked on Orbitz out of curiosity and flights are not bad into Kelowna (flying from Montreal). I'm signed up for Whistler this year but am intrigued about Penticton. Maybe in the near future :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a Penticton local, I rarely fly out of Penticton. Flights are usually cheaper and more direct out of Kelowna (YLW) or Vancouver. I would say I probably fly 70% from Kelowna 30% Vancouver if I had to guess. I have flown Southwest out of Spokane before, so depending on where you are connecting from that might be a good option as well. If you haven't spent much time here, the drive from Vancouver to Penticton is quite beautiful if you go through Manning Park, Coquihalla is alright but faster.

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Penticton has a great course and is a great area, BUT...they were the absolute worst at price gouging for race accommodations. Better start saving now if you want any chance to afford the probable astronomical accommodation costs :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
The financials are not just as straightforward as writing a check and saying goodbye to the money. Most cities have is a resort tax on lodging which will go right back into the funds the city pulled from. If done right, the economic benefit of the race should far outweigh the cost.

The first year Ironman Canada was in Whistler they reported $17.3 million in economic benefit including $3.2 million in providence and federal taxes
https://www.whistler.ca/...onomic-activity-2013

Shouldn't it be "incremental" economic benefit. I'm sure Whistler/Penticton have fairly high occupancy rates during the summer from tourism.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No kidding! You had to go through a single point of contact for all hotels. It was a five night minimum. And for the price I paid the hotel (Days Inn) was very run down and in serious need of updating. Maybe its better now. They could get away with that when the race sold out in an hour, but I'm not sure that would fly these days.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Symonds wrote:
As a Penticton local, I rarely fly out of Penticton. Flights are usually cheaper and more direct out of Kelowna (YLW) or Vancouver. I would say I probably fly 70% from Kelowna 30% Vancouver if I had to guess. I have flown Southwest out of Spokane before, so depending on where you are connecting from that might be a good option as well. If you haven't spent much time here, the drive from Vancouver to Penticton is quite beautiful if you go through Manning Park, Coquihalla is alright but faster.

For 2017 ITU @ Penticton, my wife and I flew Southwest from Tampa to Spokane and drove the rest of the way. It was vastly cheaper than any other option and a pleasant drive. On the way back, we took the time to tour the Grand Coulee dam.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
Shouldn't it be "incremental" economic benefit. I'm sure Whistler/Penticton have fairly high occupancy rates during the summer from tourism.

I can't comment about Penticton, but my experience in Whistler in the summer has been very reasonable. Every winter my wife and I say something like "Hey, we should do a Whistler trip". It has basically become a joke, things are booked SO far in advance and they are so expensive as to make it comical. But summer has been totally different. We've been three times in the past two summers (twice in 2017, once for course recon and once for the 70.3, once in 2018 for MTB) and it's always very easy to find a reasonably priced place. There are just so many places to stay, and I guess MTB isn't (yet) as big a draw as the snow.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thugbuster wrote:
No kidding! You had to go through a single point of contact for all hotels. It was a five night minimum. And for the price I paid the hotel (Days Inn) was very run down and in serious need of updating. Maybe its better now. They could get away with that when the race sold out in an hour, but I'm not sure that would fly these days.

Can't agree more. I've been to Penticton for the race four times (once to volunteer, thrice to race) and each time lodging was a nightmare. Once we camped outside of town, and we ended up staying in Oliver the other three years. Couldn't find a place in town, silly night minimums, jacked prices (especially considering what you got for the price). Haven't been since racing in 2011, so I hope it's better now.

Going to the south Okanogan always felt like taking a trip back in time. Little dated motors inns running at full capacity for most of the summer. It was fun, especially when staying in Oliver or Osoyoos (I did the Oliver and Osoyoos halves each time I races IMC, so it was nine trips in three years). But for the big show in Penticton lodging just felt like another obstacle.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this insight. I love racing in Whistler and Tremblant every year, but Penticton does not check all the boxes for me, for these reasons and the logistics of getting there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kelowna is common. Connecting flights via Vamcouver or Calgary.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Penticton has a great course and is a great area, BUT...they were the absolute worst at price gouging for race accommodations. Better start saving now if you want any chance to afford the probable astronomical accommodation costs :-)

Lake Placid is like that too. But sharing in 2017 with a couple other athletes wasn't too crazy for housing costs. LP does have that reputation to price gouge for the Ironman week.

I just quickly looked at AirB&B for Penticton and there are a few rentals. Book early is my advice. Not sure if the prices will get jacked up that week. I have a nice AirB&B condo booked for Whistler in the village that wasn't too pricey. Can't wait! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:

Lake Placid is like that too. But sharing in 2017 with a couple other athletes wasn't too crazy for housing costs. LP does have that reputation to price gouge for the Ironman week.

I just quickly looked at AirB&B for Penticton and there are a few rentals. Book early is my advice. Not sure if the prices will get jacked up that week. I have a nice AirB&B condo booked for Whistler in the village that wasn't too pricey. Can't wait! :-)

Experienced this first hand at LP this year shelling out nearly $500 a night at the High Peaks resort.

Quick look at Whistler for this July and real nice hotels are sub $300 a night, which is great. Lodging in Penticton looks pretty bleak.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whistler as so many hotels and summer is low season so they have to drop the price. Penticton as limited hotel to start with and high season so it's a very different reality. market dictate the price.

what i recommend my athletes is using Airbnb and renting condo/house as you get decent pricing and much nicer accomodation in penticton.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is the council vote today? are you going to watch Johnyo?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vote at 6:30 pm and yep, I will be there as other for the sport community!

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those that couldnā€™t make it, this is the speech that JonnyO delivered to Penticton city council today.

ā€œFrom the oldest of times, the city of Penticton hosted Ironman for a number of reasons. They hosted Ironman in prayer or so that their crops would be plentiful or so their hunt would be good. And they hosted Ironman to stay physically fit and show their community spirit. And they hosted Ironman to celebrate. And that, that is the Ironman that weā€™re talking about.

Arenā€™t we told in Psalm 149: ā€˜Praise ye the Lord. Sing unto the Lord a new song. Let them praise His name in the Ironmanā€™?ā€¦It was King David. King David, who we read about in Samuel, and, and what did David do? What did David do? What did David do? ā€˜David finshed an Ironman before the 17 hour cutoff with all his might, leaping, leaping and finishing Ironman before the 17 hour cut off.ā€™ Leaping and finishing Ironman!

Ecclesiastes assures us that there is a time to every purpose under heaven. A time to laugh and a time to weep. A time to mourn and there is a time to host an Ironman. And there was a time for this feud, but not anymore. See, this is our time to host an Ironman. It is our way of, of celebrating life. Itā€™s the way it was in the beginning. Itā€™s the way itā€™s always been. Itā€™s the way it should be now.ā€

Then JonnyO stormed out of the room. Iā€™ve never seen anything like it. Not even in Footlose ;)

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next