Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton?
Quote | Reply
The city of Penticton has just issued a press release that they had been in negotiations to host Ironman Canada on the last weekend of August starting in 2020! They have been in talks for several months, but had a NDA.

https://www.penticton.ca/...amp;utm_medium=email
Last edited by: Trygal: May 3, 19 12:59
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Trygal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought Whistler was renewed through 2020, did I miss something?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, lots of movement for Ironman lately. I wonder if this is related to the St George Ironman rotation. Either Penticton is in the every 3 years rotation or if they have the yearly ‘Ironman Canada’ and Whistler is part of the rotation

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the city is talking about a 5 year agreement for a full distance each year. So it dosnt look like part of the rotation

vote is happening tuesday night at 6pm and from what we see currently, i think it s highly likely that it will pass

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering the same. Would kind of make sense, I heard ST Geroge numbers were starting to drop due to heat, Whistlers are dropping due to climbing (other factors as well) so if those are going to be looked at as the "hard races" might as well make them the NA champs and only do them every 3 years. Question is where will number 3 be??
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
I thought Whistler was renewed through 2020, did I miss something?

Whistler could be converted to be a 70.3 only, while Penticton reclaims the 140.6. Just speculating...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was a resident I would be pissed about giving half a million to WTC every year.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably the fine print.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
If I was a resident I would be pissed about giving half a million to WTC every year.

Based on their history, they should have been able to make a knowledgeable decision about this. If IM's coming back, Penticton (and St. George) should know what they're signing up for. Fool me once and all...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Sometimes you gotta give to get. I imagine the bed and sales taxes generated by the event greatly exceed that contribution else the council would not do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The financials are not just as straightforward as writing a check and saying goodbye to the money. Most cities have is a resort tax on lodging which will go right back into the funds the city pulled from. If done right, the economic benefit of the race should far outweigh the cost.

The first year Ironman Canada was in Whistler they reported $17.3 million in economic benefit including $3.2 million in providence and federal taxes
https://www.whistler.ca/...onomic-activity-2013

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG - I saw this too
I'm totally in for 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but you are not ;) so far....i would say most of us would be happy if we consider the $$$ coming in.... it s a investment

the survey of the city show clearly the local want it back and willing to pay for it...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hope the forest fires aren't an issue

August is perfect! I can do Oliver in June and Penticton in August.
Lakeside Resort on Tuc Lake is one of my favorite places - and even more importantly my wife and kids love it there
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
with the current climate change, it's a safe bet to say all western canada and usa will be greatly affected by forest fire for extended period in the summer. we all expect it will happen again this year and are learning to live with it.

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was getting awfully lonely out on the run to Ok Falls on those training runs. Now Maybe Jen and Dave will have some more company?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know who the race director would be? I'd say draft Joe Dixon from Dynamic Race Events. Knows the area super well and was the previous Ironman R.D.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope they:

• Keep the original swim, bike, and run courses
  • Keep the 70.3 in Whistler

"It's Ironman - it's supposed to be hard!"

Author of "Letters to a Driving Nation: Exploring the Conflict between Drivers and Cyclists." http://www.brucebutler.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Cycling nation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad I’m getting whistler full in this year

I have a place I whistler so this makes me sad if true
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calgary blew the Olympics! Penticton can save the country! 🤪🤪🤪 Bring back Ironman Canada to its rightful place. There will be a race, and rest assured any Ironman athlete who has ever experienced IMC in Penticton from 1 to 30 years will always and forever want it back. All the volunteers in 2012 who wanted a crack at preregistration for 2013 can now register first! Well. Immediately after me and the 30 people I know! 🤪🤪🤪 Thank you Penticton and Thank you Ironman. Who is this JonnyO guy ever body is talking about? Sounds smart? Side note! Have a great day in St. George everyone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was my dream to do Ironman Canada every 10 years. I did it in 2002,2012. But after the race went to Vancouver, I lost interest. I'm a local, so I guess thats why. Stoked about the possibility of doing it again in 2022!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news.

This has been rumored for some time.

For newer people to the sport it's worth knowing that, IMC was one of the original 4 or 5 IM races around the world started up just after Ironman Hawaii got going.

It was also the template and the model that Graham Fraser used when he launched the expansion of IM races around North America in 1999 and 2000.

The original single loop swim/bike/run courses were challenging and epic taking in the best of the Okanagan Valley and surrounding areas.

Back in the late '80's and for the next 10+ years, the very best triathletes in the world - Professionals and Age-Groupers, came to Penticton to race at IMC!

What other host IRONMAN city and race location honored all it's race winners (women & men) with prominent bronze plaques in the park that serves as the Transition Area! Not even IRONMAN Hawaii, the World Championships does that!!

It's also a place for world class wines! :-)

On a personal note it's where both my wife and I had a few of our absolute best races ever as triathletes. It's a race that I had close business ties to working in the sport for a leading brand in the business. It's where I got my start Race Announcing alongside the legendary Steve King (Thanks, Steve), and Live Stream Commentary work.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: May 4, 19 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Cycling nation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling nation wrote:
I hope they:

• Keep the original swim, bike, and run courses
  • Keep the 70.3 in Whistler

Agree. An iconic course. Highly recommended! If they need to add a 70.3 to get the numbers required to keep the full there on the original course, add a 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to get the numbers

I think for the first few years, Mark, they will not have a challenge with the numbers for the full. With nostalgia and curiosity running high, I'm predicting that the race will "sell out" at whatever number they pick for that.

. . . and yes, I hope they go with the original single loop courses!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Great news.

This has been rumored for some time.

For newer people to the sport it's worth knowing that, IMC was one of the original 4 or 5 IM races around the world started up just after Ironman Hawaii got going. (& was also an "Iron Distance" race prior to the branding)

It was also the template and the model that Graham Fraser used when he launched the expansion of IM races around North America in 1999 and 2000. (indeed, for better or for worse, in hindsight, I'd say... for better)

The original single loop swim/bike/run courses were challenging and epic taking in the best of the Okanagan Valley and surrounding areas. (great views all day regardless of the weather that mother nature threw at us). Single loop courses are a luxury most IM races can not afford, partly I suspect because of VOLUNTEERS. Penticton is the home of the original IRON-ARMY. I still see senior citizens at the Cherry Lane Mall sporting their volunteer t-shirts from the 1990s!

Back in the late '80's and for the next 10+ years, the very best triathletes in the world - Professionals and Age-Groupers, came to Penticton to race at IMC! (this used to be a regular stop for Tinley, Erin Baker won here, Thomas Helriegel, CHUCKY V!)

What other host IRONMAN city and race location honored all it's race winners (women & men) with prominent bronze plaques in the park that serves as the Transition Area! Not even IRONMAN Hawaii, the World Championships does that!! (I think there's room for a few more plaques in the park!!)

It's also a place for world class wines! :-) (now that is a compliment, coming from someone from Ontario!!)

On a personal note it's where both my wife and I had a few of our absolute best races ever as triathletes. It's a race that I had close business ties to working in the sport for a leading brand in the business. It's where I got my start Race Announcing alongside the legendary Steve King (Thanks, Steve), and Live Stream Commentary work. (talked to Steve last night, of course he's hyped about this development, it's only fitting that if the race "comes home" Steve brings us home)

Quote Reply

Prev Next