Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video)
Quote | Reply
New video from Lionel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bveOtX-f3c

Short version: If Lionel's bone heals as planned, he'll be back to hard biking early June and begin running around June 24th. If all goes well he plans to toe the line at Ironman Tremblant again, and hopes to grab a Kona spot there.

I really admire Lionel's transparency and being so open about his triathlon journey. I'm also racing Tremblant, again, and would be excited to see him on course for a second straight year.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m as big of a Lionel fanboy as there is on this forum, I love seeing him succeed. I love his optimism. But can he honestly to a man think after not running for 3 months and biking for 2, that he can just hammer back into shape in 8 weeks? And be prepared to win an Ironman, with it being the last chance qualifier, I’m sure there will be some pretty decent talent toeing the line looking for a slot. I’m sure his sponsors are maybe pushing to see him on the start line of a race sooner rather than later. Would it not be better for him personally to basically write off the year and look at a late season race to KQ for 2020? Who knows, I’m no where near qualified to be a coach, so I am just spitballing here!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes, so there's a chance he doesn't even get a slot at Kona in 2019. Wow, you can never predict what happens in this sport.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
I’m as big of a Lionel fanboy as there is on this forum, I love seeing him succeed. I love his optimism. But can he honestly to a man think after not running for 3 months and biking for 2, that he can just hammer back into shape in 8 weeks? And be prepared to win an Ironman, with it being the last chance qualifier, I’m sure there will be some pretty decent talent toeing the line looking for a slot. I’m sure his sponsors are maybe pushing to see him on the start line of a race sooner rather than later. Would it not be better for him personally to basically write off the year and look at a late season race to KQ for 2020? Who knows, I’m no where near qualified to be a coach, so I am just spitballing here!

What are you talking about.

He's on the 90k per week swim plan...probably doing 30 hrs per week. the guy will be in awesome shape for Tremblant.....multi month taper on the pounding front and cardio totally jacked from all that swimming and he gets to leverage all those years of leg base!!!! Lots of time to get ready for Tremblant, I bet this is the best thing that happens for the Kona build. He won't forget how to run and biking is such a brain dead sport (at least tri bike...get aero, pound the pedals) , he just needs a few weeks to get his neck used to being aero again and pound out some miles.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
. But can he honestly to a man think after not running for 3 months and biking for 2, that he can just hammer back into shape in 8 weeks?

I believe 8 weeks could very well be enough for him to shape up enough to qualify for Kona at MT. What I don't believe is that he can do that and also perform well at Kona 7 weeks later.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 2, 19 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with Dev. It’s not like he’s on the couch all that time. Now more than ever though he better not try to self coach building back up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeebus, 22 min long?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a fast 22 min
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did his coach have to say???

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Leavitt wrote:

He's on the 90k per week swim plan...probably doing 30 hrs per week. the guy will be in awesome shape for Tremblant.....multi month taper on the pounding front and cardio totally jacked from all that swimming and he gets to leverage all those years of leg base!!!! Lots of time to get ready for Tremblant, I bet this is the best thing that happens for the Kona build. He won't forget how to run and biking is such a brain dead sport (at least tri bike...get aero, pound the pedals) , he just needs a few weeks to get his neck used to being aero again and pound out some miles.
Dev

It will indeed be very interesting to see how much he is able to improve his swim during this 3 months or so of swim only. IIRC, he was a 53-54 min non-wetsuit IM swimmer last year. What do you think Dev??? Maybe take 3 min or so off his swim times from last year??? 3 min = 180 sec or about 4.7 sec per 100 m, which would be a pretty huge improvement. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Jeebus, 22 min long?

He’s a conversationalist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one of my favorite ST things to do...

see what Dev calls. see it happen just as Dev called it.

Will LS show up and win everything? I doubt that. If healthy, will he be relevant? I'd think so cuz he's so stubborn.

I do think, however, that this has left him very little room for error on race day strategy and execution...cuz he's so stubborn.

really hope he doesn't do a practice IM the weekend before IMWC if he does get there. 🤦‍♂️

Will be watching closely with my popcorn and Red Bull.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Last edited by: morpheus: May 3, 19 3:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He might not need to win Tremblant to get a slot. Cody already has his slot and the others toeing the line may already have their Kona slots, so a 3rd or 4th place may give him a rolldown slot. It's actually not that far fetched.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t be surprised if he tears it up. His fitness and endurance from past years, last year especially, was so high and he continually raced overtrained. If he’s smart and doesn’t overdue it going in “fresh” could do wonders.
That said I’m not a LS fan so I’m still going for Frodo.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm far from a professional athlete, but man do some things in this video make me question Lionel.

"It hurt but I went and did 22k's on it" (paraphrasing)

And then,
"I was feeling lazy so I didn't warm up, and went and did my hard run effort"

Take my opinion with a grain of salt but it seems like he still has this inherent stubbornness. How can he perform at an elite level if he doesn't listen to his body? This injury shouldn't have gotten to this point after training on it for a few days after the crash

In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [travisfodor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“I'm far from a professional athlete”.

Unfortunately, so is LS.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He gave off this vibe

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [travisfodor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My big takeaway was how badly he
lacks bike handling skills. He talks about taking corners hard and then falling on his ass stopped at a water fountain. It actually makes me worry that if he’s a professional then how bad are the amateur ranks? I’ve witnessed bad riding at IM events, but Lionel’s story brings new concern to my next race. It makes me aware of how many folks
simply cannot ride. I’m usually ripping around pretty good. I’m going to need to be very careful at my next race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say the chances of him being at Kona this year seem slim. If he is there the chances of us getting showdown with all the top guys being healthy seems completely out of the question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love this guy for the sheer entertainment factor and I find myself rooting for him.

I also always find myself thinking "Why the F are you doing that?" And "Why The F don't you have a coach to keep you in line?"
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So this is why I haven't seen any LS threads lately....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
Love this guy for the sheer entertainment factor and I find myself rooting for him.

I also always find myself thinking "Why the F are you doing that?" And "Why The F don't you have a coach to keep you in line?"

I do like the guy, but I worry about his mental health. He comes across a tortured soul. Is he in triathlon for the wrong reasons? Is he using it as an escape, a crutch or whatever? Has he swapped one addiction for another?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I mean, let's be honest we're all addicted to exercise. However his behavior almost seems self sabotaging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a very real possibility. There's a book called something like winners are different that gets into that. The book was about poker but the author was a sports psychologist..... Can't remember his name.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Leavitt wrote:

Dev

I sure hope that happens! I just think he might decide that because he hasn’t done any running in 3 months, he will think he needs to jump back in straight to 100km weeks to make up for lost time.
I do agree this could be the best thing to happen assuming he goes about it the right way!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply

Prev Next