Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Augusta 70.3 -- where to stay?
Quote | Reply
The GF and I are shooting for Augusta 70.3 for our A race. Any suggestions on where to stay that's close to the race (walking distance) and close to nightlife/post-race fun.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 -- where to stay? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marriott Convention Center Runcation Elite Travel rooms are open. $225 a night or so.

Hyatt Place and Crown Plaza also.

North Augusta is a little nicer than Augusta. I know a lot of people have good luck with Air BnB as well.

Might want to get on it quickly, the rooms tend to sell out fast for the race. Luckily, I have family that lives on the run course so I stay with them.

Good luck in the race, the swim is a breeze but you can hemorrhage time on the run because of the heat if you’re not careful. Folks will sign up for Augusta for the fast swim. They set a swim PR of 5-10 minutes faster but then end up losing 30+ minutes walking during the run because they aren’t acclimated to the heat and humidity in Georgia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done it twice, and I was not able to find a room anywhere near the downtown race area. I stayed at a couple of the cheap hotels at I-20 and Washington road. There is really only one hotel walking distance from the race, and that is the Marriott Convention Center hotel.

Augusta is one of the most economically depressed cities in Georgia, so there is not much nightlife in the downtown area. About half the downtown storefronts have been abandoned for years. There are a ton of chain restaurants again at I-20 and Washington road, but you are not likely to see many racers there post-race. Not sure where everyone would go... I just left as soon as I was done.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 -- where to stay? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the Marriott when I did the race. A pretty depressing hotel. It was really outdated and run down. I don't remember it being dirty or anything but it just felt pretty depressing. And like you said the downtown area was pretty economically depressed. It's too bad as it's right by the river and completely walkable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try calling The Holiday Inn Express on Broad Street. It shows online as being booked but you have to call to get a reservation that weekend. It's right on the run course. I second the comment that there is no nightlife in Augusta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Airbnb? I use them for almost all of my race accommodation.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta 70.3 -- where to stay? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input everyone! Maybe frogman is more what I'm looking for. haha

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply