Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Jocelynmccauley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great result!

I’ll ask the same thing I always ask pro triathletes....

Can you dunk?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NickMa wrote:
Hey! Congrats again!

1)You mentioned that you had 4 bottles on the bike. Did you have all of them since of the beginning of the race? I see only 3 on the photos.

2)What's you average nutrition on a 2-4 hour training bike ride? I heard it's better not to eat a lot of carbs during these rides, and some people train only on water if the ride is less that 2-2.5 hours.

Thank you.

Thanks so much!!!

1- I did only have 3, I picked the 4th bottle up in special needs. Lots of pros don't use it but I like to just use the nutrition I am use to so don't take much off course other then water.

2- If I'm training 90min of less I don't take in nutrition. Longer then that it's generally between 25-40g of carbs/hour but try to go as light as possible on most days. There are then FULL fuel training sessions and days as well though just to make sure the gut can still tolerate it. I've done two 4 hour rides and one 5 hour ride completely fasted besides water to improve metabolic efficiency.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alaska848 wrote:
Great work out there! What BTA bottle mount do you use on your MORF bar?

Thanks!

It's one that Frank 3d printed :) He was designing a 3d printed bottle for my set up when he passed. I may have found someone who can help with that though for Kona. Hopefully!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Jocelyn, I've found that "high fat, medium carb" is working great for me right now too. But can you describe that a little bit more about how that actually looks as far as eating and snacking goes?

My own description of it is something like, "Quit being afraid of fat and let's calm down on the carbs a bit." lol

K, I'll try to make this a brief as I can...

I use to train with full amount of carbs each session and then just high quality carbs during the day. Because of my training volume though my carb consumption was still around 450-550g/day AVERAGE and 50g of fat/day AVERAGE. Since starting to work with Bevan-new coach- we cut my carb intake in half. We average about 250g/day now. So with all my training that is pretty low carb/high fat but I like to say moderate carb since people thin under 100g when thinking low carb generally.

I start each day generally with a swim and just wake up and go do it fasted from the night. Refuel with 3eggs, sweet potato hash, avocado, and bell peppers/onions. Generally get on the bike and depending on length may fuel it a bit. Lunch, if I'm not training through it is a MASSIVE salad with all sorts of protein and good fats. Dinner is generally lots of high quality vegs and meat of some kind.
Snacks I'll do jerky, 1/2 banana with almond butter, Avocado with a bit of black beans and salt, Hard boiled egg, Pork rinds, coconut yogurt, BACON!

After long or BIG sessions I will do a recovery shake or applesauce with protein powder.

Let me know if you have any more questions from this.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
Any question I'd have has already been answered. I just wanted to give a huge congrats and to thank you for coming on here and answering every single question. I loved seeing somebody really challenge Ryf like that. Best of luck for the rest of 2019, I'll be pulling for you in Kona.

Awe, thanks! I will get to every single one but it may take me a while since I'm now down in St. George to race the 70.3 stupidly! I plan to challenge her again in Kona but need to build some more fitness, we had some AMAZING learnings about her and her racing this race though.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Spoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spoon wrote:
How much of your run training is done on a treadmill?

Looking forward to you racing Daniela again this October!

In the winter probably 85+% of it. In the summer I try to make it 50% or less but honestly probably still ends up being on the higher side. I have a 6-year-old daughter and so treadmill running is sometimes just easier, although she did tell me the other day she can bike faster then I can run now. I agree but only for a min ;)

2 weeks before both NZ and TX we made sure to get outside, get on some hard surfaces and even do some fast down hill running. It's worked out fine both races!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
Jocelynmccauley wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
RallySavage wrote:
I spent 8 hours staring at your butt. I couldn’t look away. I was crushed when she made the pass. You have a new fan and I can’t wait to see what comes next.

Nothing at all creepy about your post.

The creepy part is on the bike you can see too much... at least from what I've seen in pictures! eek! Please, don't go back to look for that now! :)

Apologies! I meant no disrespect. In hindsight I see how this came across as creepy. What I was trying to convey, albeit poorly, was that I spent most of my day last Saturday watching the race and rooting for you. Since they only had one camera focused on the race leader, I was primarily watching the race from your perspective

Oh please!!! I am the person you need to worry about the least with offending! You would have to start calling me horrible names or things to offend me! :) No apologies needed at ALL!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Jocelynmccauley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats, belatedly for IMNZ and now for IMTX.

Are you planning on defending the IMNZ crown next year? You seem on a real high about the second in IMTX, moreso than the win in Taupo despite a record breaking run. Is that just due to the competition with Ryf, or some other factors?

How much work do you do on your own bike? I've seen some top elite athletes who genuinely couldn't even put a thrown chain back on their bike - how confident are you in getting the tool kit out on your bike.

How much training do you do with other people? One of the things for me was that I could do tri-training solo and so it was really efficient and I didn't need to time my sessions to fit with agreed meet points/times and then the inevitable wait for 'that person' that's always 10-15mins late and then turns up without a water bottle... But now I'm finding that for the higher intensity sessions then that hassle is offset by the extra 10% I go into the hurt locker when training with other people.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to say you are doing a great job on this thread. Thanks for spending time with us here!

Best of luck at St. George!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good stuff

since you mentioned cody how would the fiancial progress of the "female cody" look like in comparasion ( totally understand if you dont want to go in details but a rough comparasion would be interesting )

what do you think needs to be done to increase female participation in the sport ?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Great result!

I’ll ask the same thing I always ask pro triathletes....

Can you dunk?

I was trying to think of some funny comment to come back with and I just don't have anything... so no, I can't. Pretty sure that's what drove me into endurance sports, no coordination at all, I mean riding a bike is a feat in of it's self. In fact Coach said after seeing that coverage that we need to get some rollers to work on that...
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Congrats, belatedly for IMNZ and now for IMTX.

Are you planning on defending the IMNZ crown next year? You seem on a real high about the second in IMTX, moreso than the win in Taupo despite a record breaking run. Is that just due to the competition with Ryf, or some other factors?

How much work do you do on your own bike? I've seen some top elite athletes who genuinely couldn't even put a thrown chain back on their bike - how confident are you in getting the tool kit out on your bike.

How much training do you do with other people? One of the things for me was that I could do tri-training solo and so it was really efficient and I didn't need to time my sessions to fit with agreed meet points/times and then the inevitable wait for 'that person' that's always 10-15mins late and then turns up without a water bottle... But now I'm finding that for the higher intensity sessions then that hassle is offset by the extra 10% I go into the hurt locker when training with other people.

Thanks

Thanks! Both great races :)

HECK YES! I've done IMNZ every year since I went pro in 2015. I've won there in 2017 and 2019 and it's my favorite place on earth besides home. IMNZ was a 3 min course record and broke the run record that was then broken again 50ish min later. Probably one of the shortest lived run records! I was stoked with that performance and race for sure! There are many factors that go into making IMTX an even better race day. Yes, Ryf, I planned to swim, bike, and then out run her. I was able to execute that to an acceptable level, just not finish off the job, BUT there are other factors that make me hopeful for the rematch. We were able to learn more about Ryf this race as well. I haven't raced her head to head like that before and so it was invaluable experience for Kona.

I also have not been able to execute in TX- 2015 no show on the body, 2016- passed out .5 miles from finish, 2017- 3 flats within an hour and stuck in hardest gear, 2018- sick Thursday before race and DNFd on the run. To be able to turn around a race and the mindset after that many failures is a win on it's own to me.

HA! Well I can do that. I pack and unpack my bike generally while traveling but the QR PR6 is pretty easy, just 2 allen keys needed. I do out source my bike work to an awesome local bike shop in Boise- TriTown, because when I can outsource something, why not? It's why I hired a coach, if there's something that you can not deal with or think about then do it! Yes, I know basics on the bike for emergencies but don't make me build one or run cables!

So the short answer to your question is 1 session per week generally! I'm right outside Boise in Eagle, ID and while we have a great group of triathletes its sometimes hard to find people to be able to train with, not just speed/fitness wise but time of day. As a mother I try to make triathlon as much a 6am-5pm job as I can so my family can have time together at night, which is different than most age groupers. I have 2 great training partners that I probably train with 1/week when schedules align. I'm always looking for good training partners, come move to Boise ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jocelynmccauley wrote:
I'm always looking for good training partners, come move to Boise ;)

Ha, I'd be feck all use for the swim or run, but if you fancied a ride ahead of IMNZ then that's the only thing where I'd be able to stay with you. We had Javier Gomez based here in Tauranga over the winter last year, a few NZ world cup triathletes as well, so the roads are well travelled by the spandex brigade ;-)

Hope the rest of the season goes well for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you reference some of the research you did that encouraged you to do a "water only fast" for multiple days?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jocelynmccauley wrote:
MrRabbit wrote:
Such an amazing race, congratulations!!

Do you train with power and just race by feel? And adding to that, do you do any "feel" based workouts to really get a grip on how raceday should go down?

I generally train with power and heart rate and notice perceived exertion. The last 3 years I've only raced on HR, I may start to race on power again but am waiting for Rotor to come out with their spider based PM to have power back on my racing bike.

Personally there is an emotional component to seeing power and HR and how they are or aren't lining up on the day. I can handle that emotionally during training but in a race when emotions are already at the limit I don't want to throw in a "oh shoot my HR is 4 beats higher then it should be with this power" and then start thinking, "well maybe today won't end up going well."

Leading into this race I did a couple bikes without power not out of choice and found my self smashed more after those then others. Wrote a post leading up to the race about power etc:

"11. Data is both motivating as well as a governor on what you think is possible. There are times when we need to have metrics and markers and times when we need to let go of what we THINK is possible and blow that out of the water by not looking at data and reigning ourselves in because “those watts are too high,” or “that pace is too fast.”
I think this is something I’m still learning about and playing with. This build to IMTX I’ve had a couple of sessions without power or pace for various reasons and I felt more smashed after those then when I’ve had data. We need to make sure data is our slave not the other way around. "

Totally! I want ALL the data during training, but for races, I literally only display how much distance I've accomplished. I record it all for post-hoc analysis, but I don't want to see any of it during the race.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I am a member of "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" AKA Mormon. People who are members of my church are not required to not work etc on Sundays, that is more of a personal religious choice for me. If you want to hear why and the story behind it check out the Oxygen Addict podcast I did a couple months ago. I though Rob did an excellent job in that interview with everything and was probably one of my favorite podcasts I've done outside of Fitter Radio ones.[/quote]

Good for you Jocelyn. It's nice to see a commitment to spiritual fitness in addition to the physical. As a MOP (on a good day) age grouper, finding time for church, work, family, and training is always a struggle. Anyway, great performance in TX. You and Ryf passed me heading into the wind on the Southbound trip down the toll road. I had no idea how close you came to knocking her off until I finished and my girls told me how excited they were that Daniela almost got beaten (the excitement stems from another story involving my Italian wife and her dislike of the Swiss). Great job, great race. Keep it up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next