Prev Next
Re: April Swim Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
For fly, I prefer doing something like 3-3-3 drill, with the full stroke "3" going as many strokes as it takes to get to the wall (usually it is 3, but sometimes 4). I find that helps with just keeping the fly rhythm going for the full length, I dislike switching strokes mid-length....

Do you guys ever do something like 4 hard strokes fly after push off, some steady breast in between and finish to the wall with fly?

Dev

Nope. I might do the breakout full stroke then switch to one arm fly. But I wouldn’t really do what you’re talking about. Partly because 4 strokes fly is going to put me fairly far down the pool, and steady breast means a very long stroke to me. I’d be at the wall in 3 strokes.

One that I have seen, but I’ve done maybe twice in my life, is alternating 1 stroke fly with1 stroke breast. I’ve done it, but it feels awkward, and it’s more of a breaststroke drill than a fly drill. I’m not a breaststroker or IMer so there’s not much point in me doing it.

Yes, I have done alternating fly-breast (one stroke each) and you are right that helps more with the breast stroke than fly since the undulation amplitude ends up being "more breast stroke" ish.

The idea behind it is to get a bit of (legal) dolphin action into the breaststroke and actually get the breaststroke to be a bit closer to fly.

Took an extra long lunch today...one of the benefits of being highly underpaid at your own tech company....

100 min

warmup 20 min ~800m
main set
500m large paddles, hard 25 breast, 25 easy free, 25 hard free, 25 easy free, repeat 5 times.

5x400m IM as 25m sprint all strokes-25 legs only, 10 seconds rest between 400's.

800m large paddles free, alternating 25m sprint, 25m easy

I did not worry about times, but the last one, I shocked myself with a 8:19 time.
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ocean is 59 & 60 in spots. I’ve ditched the wetsuit! 2400 yards with seals and sharks spotted.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: April Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys. It’s May now!!!!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next