Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ultra-Marathoners, how do you deal with swollen hands?
Quote | Reply
I have been noticing as I get older my hands are swelling more on long runs, especially with elevation. Anyone try arthritis compression gloves? Issue with runs over 4 hours. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra-Marathoners, how do you deal with swollen hands? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If my hands are swelling, it's almost always because my electrolyte balance is off - I use S!caps with favourable results.

Quote | Reply
Thanks. However, that's what I thought at first, but nothing helps...maybe I will try those
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra-Marathoners, how do you deal with swollen hands? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How swollen are we talking?

I've experienced swollen feet, typically only on runs over 50 miles, but swollen hands isn't one I've come across.

Are your feet/ other extremities swelling at the same time as your hands or are there any other negative symptoms you can correlate to it?
More info might help dial in on the cause
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra-Marathoners, how do you deal with swollen hands? [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, just hands, fingers. If feet swelling I am not noticing.
Runs over 4 or 5 hours, mostly when elevation above 6500ft.
Used to be more on 50k , over 8 hours bnb or elevation at 10k. Googling it, seems a common thing. .......its just happening more....were compression sleeves last run, that made it worse
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interesting. If compression sleeves made it worse you may want to try cooling your hands somehow. It sounds like there is an excess of blood being forced to your hands (likely to try to cool off by bringing blood close to the surface) perhaps external cooling, holding a frozen bottle or ice pack would help.
(100% a hypothesis)
Have you been running in warmer conditions than normal?

Not sure how you would accomplish this logistically but it might be worth a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had it happen enough to take off my wedding ring before races but never really thought to do anything else about it. I get it in my fingers first and not as much in the rest of my hands. I have also had it happen on the run during iron distance or longer multi sport. I use EFS for pretty much all events so I don't think my electrolytes are out of whack. I really thought it was just the combination of years of soft tissue damage combined with physical stress but now you have me wondering......
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra-Marathoners, how do you deal with swollen hands? [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doubt its a cooling issue, my last long run was in 35 degree f thank you though
Quote Reply
Re: Ultra-Marathoners, how do you deal with swollen hands? [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I heard its pretty common. Before I did not have to take off wedding ring, but now swelling enough I probably should. Guess just need to deal with it. Really does not affect me, just have fat hands :o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
I have been noticing as I get older my hands are swelling more on long runs, especially with elevation. Anyone try arthritis compression gloves? Issue with runs over 4 hours. Thanks

I deal with it by ignoring it. Just part of the game. Everything back to normal in a day or two. And, I think it *is* more pronounced on me when I'm at higher altitude races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on how high you carry your hands while running, it may just be a simple matter of gravity.

My hands stay pretty low/quiet while I run, and sometimes if salt tabs aren't working I'll just raise my arms for a few moments and open & close my hands a few times to try to stop any blood pooling that might be going on. Hell, usually by the time I get swelling it feels awesome to stretch out my shoulders a bit while walking a hill anyway.

While they're not compression gloves in any legitimate fashion, I haven't really noticed any difference in hand swelling when using those little stretch-to-fit gloves in colder weather.

Best of luck finding a solution that works for you!

Quote | Reply
Thanks.
Might just have to deal with it... at Telluride 38 Miler, will go above 13 k a few times, then attempting RRR 100, probably least of my problems....I hope:o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you are taking in lots of sodium and fluid on the long runs? That may be contributing to the swelling. https://www.mayoclinic.org/...-causes/syc-20366493

I am normally on a low sodium diet so I notice a variation in the tightness of my wedding ring during times when I'm well hydrated after I've binged on sodium when eating out or drinking a lot of Gatorade.
Quote Reply