Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SRAM Force AXS [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like they have gone out of their way to vary as many factors as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello XX29er and All,

https://www.velonews.com/...x-drivetrains_493185

Ugh, could they have introduced any more variables into that to muddy the results? Why didn't they test Force 1 against Force 22? Not that I would expect the outcome to be substantially different, but in a test that's trying to quantify small differences in efficiency between 1x and 2x, you'd think they'd want to isolate the changes to only those required for 1x. Run the same chain. Change the cassette ratio, but get it from the same family. And choose two RD's from the same manufacturer, at least.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 2, 19 6:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello XX29er and All,

The average friction within the 1X drivetrain was 12.24 watts. This was computed as the sum of the drivetrain power losses in each of the 11 gears divided by 11. The average friction of the 2X drivetrain was 9.45 watts, computed as the sum of the power losses in each of the 15 optimal gears divided by 15.

This is just under a three-watt average difference between the two drivetrains.

Aside from the variables, "average" losses aren't exactly the best measure for everyone since in most cases we spend a majority of our time in the middle cogs. Still the difference seems to be 1.5-2W. My conclusion would be that it is a net gain after 3-4W aero gains.

Still an insightful test, thanks for sharing. Better to have this data point than none since they can't reasonably test every combination of group sets, chainlines, and chainring sizes.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM Force AXS [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The chain compatibility is very awkward.
Could I use an Eagle chain with Force etap in conjunction with an ultegra chainset?
Or would the Eagle chain still be incompatible with the Force etap cassette?

I have a Stages power meter crank and therefore want to keep the shimano chainset.
Quote Reply

Prev Next