Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Finding My Voice-- clarification on Mark Allen comment
Quote | Reply
Loved reading through his book last weekend and my in-laws house... I dont want that to be lost on this, and perhaps i misread...but looking for feedback on an interesting tidbit I picked up in the book.

When discussing the IRONWAR and calling it, Mike writes that at the bottom of Palani, after dropping THE MAN, and about 1.5 miles to finish, THE GRIP actually STOPS? and pumps his fists and yells "YESSSSS"....
I find that hard to believe that after losing this race to dave so many times and finally dropping him, he stops so close to the finish line to pump his fists and yell?? did this really happen? Is there footage of it?

I know it doesnt really matter... but just curious if anyone else picked up on that or if that it actually happened? Thanks

daved
Ps Ill go back to helping peeps in the swim questions now. ha

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Finding My Voice-- clarification on Mark Allen comment [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When discussing the IRONWAR and calling it, Mike writes that at the bottom of Palani, after dropping THE MAN, and about 1.5 miles to finish, THE GRIP actually STOPS? and pumps his fists and yells "YESSSSS".... //

It probably happened somewhere, not sure how Mike could have seen at Palani, if he was at the finish line though. Perhaps it was told to him, or it happened later on in the finish Shute where he could see it. The latter would make more sense, that is where Mark would have an audience, which would have made sense. Bottom of Palani would have had very few people, but perhaps it was for his wife or crew that were surely there at the time? But certainly after all those years, and all the disappointments on that island, Mark would have been over the moon once he knew he was going to finally win the race, and beat Dave in that head to head battle. It was not spiking the ball, just a celebration of the culmination of nearly a decade of hard work, finally culminating in the biggest win of his life...
Quote Reply
Re: Finding My Voice-- clarification on Mark Allen comment [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That scene is described in the book Ironwar by Matt Fitzgerald...maybe that's where he got it from.

Quote | Reply
daved wrote:
Loved reading through his book last weekend and my in-laws house... I dont want that to be lost on this, and perhaps i misread...but looking for feedback on an interesting tidbit I picked up in the book.

When discussing the IRONWAR and calling it, Mike writes that at the bottom of Palani, after dropping THE MAN, and about 1.5 miles to finish, THE GRIP actually STOPS? and pumps his fists and yells "YESSSSS"....
I find that hard to believe that after losing this race to dave so many times and finally dropping him, he stops so close to the finish line to pump his fists and yell?? did this really happen? Is there footage of it?

I know it doesnt really matter... but just curious if anyone else picked up on that or if that it actually happened? Thanks

daved
Ps Ill go back to helping peeps in the swim questions now. ha

Yeah interesting question. I raced IM last December and felt pretty good throughout. Didn't walk any aid stations, felt fresh(ish) on the run, finished and as I stopped for the first time in 10 hours my legs gave way like I'd been snipered. I was carried away in a wheelchair.... so yeah I would have thought it a tad amateurish for him to have done this. Personally I doubt it, especially 1.5 miles out when Dave Scott would have been only around 150m away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about that account. I was on that hill and watched both those guys charge down it. I recall Mark looking like he was on fumes (no way Grip stopped. He was 100% on the rivet) and Dave ran down the hill about 30 secs/mile faster. I remember feeling that if the marathon was 28 miles long Dave would have caught back up. But the Man didn't and the Grip abides. . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Finding My Voice-- clarification on Mark Allen comment [Amorfati] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats super interesting feedback.
Thanks for sharing. Must have been pretty amazing to be there. Dont get me wrong Mike Reilly had an awesome account of that day.. and it was fun to read! So go read his book. The guy has seen it all. And he has called me across that line in kona twice and almost every other IM ive done. Its iconic.

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply