Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM 70.3 WC - NICE
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering who has done IM France, did IM 70.3 Nice last year or is planning on racing at the WC this year? Trying to gauge bike selection for the race. I noticed that most of the pros were racing on TT bikes last year, while many of the AG athletes opted for a road bike. What is the verdict?

Thanks,

ST
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [HudsonTriBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i will be using my TT Bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bro, if you are M35-39, use your road bike.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HudsonTriBro wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering who has done IM France, did IM 70.3 Nice last year or is planning on racing at the WC this year? Trying to gauge bike selection for the race. I noticed that most of the pros were racing on TT bikes last year, while many of the AG athletes opted for a road bike. What is the verdict?

Thanks,

ST

i'm noodling going. i've been to nice 4 times to race. it's a course for TT bikes, assuming you're comfortable in the aero position.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
HudsonTriBro wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

ST

i'm noodling going. i've been to nice 4 times to race. it's a course for TT bikes, assuming you're comfortable in the aero position.

I should know a little more about riding the hills in Europe after May...but I'm going with the TT bike for that. (*oh yeah, both my bikes are TT bikes....)

(If you do go, Dan, please let me know! I'm bringing my P3 to Nice too and I do not want to miss an opportunity to do any sort of course pre-ride with Mr Slowman himself...if that's even offered...)
Last edited by: dtoce: Mar 14, 19 14:15
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
Slowman wrote:
HudsonTriBro wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

ST

I should know a little more about riding the hills in Europe after May...but I'm going with the TT bike for that. (*oh yeah, both my bikes are TT bikes....)

(If you do go, Dan, please let me know! I'm bringing my P3 to Nice ltoo and I not want to miss an opportunity to do any sort of course pre-ride with Mr Slowman himself...if that's even offered...)

it's up to the knees. the knees have the final say in this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When would you plan to travel there?? ie. how many days do you generally plan to acclimate for a destination race? Coming from Canada/USA to Europe? Go over Wednesday/arrive Thursday for a Sunday race?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HudsonTriBro wrote:
When would you plan to travel there?? ie. how many days do you generally plan to acclimate for a destination race? Coming from Canada/USA to Europe? Go over Wednesday/arrive Thursday for a Sunday race? Thanks!

i always figured a day to acclimate for every hour of time change. but i'm no expert, and i don't know that one needs to acclimate to the time change in order to race. the shorter the race, the less hinky i am about that stuff. i'm 8 hours time difference from nice. i wouldn't go 8 days in advance just to acclimate. maybe 5. or 4. mostly i want enough time to get my bearings, put my bike together, ride it a couple of times, get myself situated, register, prepare the bike for the race, figure out the course. that's probably at least 4 days. so, i would guess i'd get there 5 days in front and just due with a little sleep deprivation.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing this weekend and have to decide whether to take a slot if I get one. Has anyone planned their trip recently?

How is hotel availability?
Any way to rent a tri bike? I'm guessing not since it's such a rare thing. QR used to have demo bikes at WC but I don't know if they're doing it this time and I'm sure they're all spoken for if they do do it.
Anything else?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [smoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smoom wrote:
I'm racing this weekend and have to decide whether to take a slot if I get one. Has anyone planned their trip recently?

Any way to rent a tri bike? I'm guessing not since it's such a rare thing. QR used to have demo bikes at WC but I don't know if they're doing it this time and I'm sure they're all spoken for if they do do it.
Anything else?

Good luck!
Virginia?
Let us know how far they roll.
What’s your AG?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smoom wrote:

Anything else?

Nice is one of my all time favorite to race. You would be wise to not miss that one if you get a slot. I'm sure they will go all out for this one, and the food is amazing.....

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep Williamsburg. 45-49M... I'm 49.5 so I'm the old man! I'll let you know (unless I have a lousy race in which case I'll be most of the way home when roll downs happen). I'm not fast enough to get an automatic slot but I've qualified twice at 8th. If I'm not top 10 I probably won't take a slot though even if I do get one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you got one, why not take it?
Not sure how far roll downs might go but it's kinda late for folks to plan a trip like this- no? So maybe many will say forget it. Maybe I'm wrong.
Why not take it just for the experience even if you feel like you shouldn't go ...........
I know there are some haters on here that say you shouldn't go if your not top xyz but I say ......... whatever.
Good luck man!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I qualified at Galveston and once I got the email to sign up, I did, then booked our flights (had been watching them for a couple months and they were very stable but the FX rate dropped and I got them for a good price). I booked a hotel over the winter when I decided Nice was a big goal, so I can't say what the availability is now.

I love Nice, and love riding there, so am very excited.

If you do go, get there early enough to ride the Col de Madone. It is one of the classic climbs and is very accessible from Nice.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was there a roll down at TX?
What was your AG or did you qualify outright?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not Nice, but there are some AirBnB's still available in Monaco (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20793640?s=51)

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure about the roll downs at Galveston. I won my AG. The race was stopped midway through that later finishers and the awards/slots were cancelled. It took a few days to sort the qualifications but I never saw or heard about the number of roll downs.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
smoom wrote:

Anything else?

Good luck!
Virginia?
Let us know how far they roll.
What’s your AG?

Well no dice on the slot. Had a solid race for me but 11 other guys had a way more solid race. 4:46 only good enough for 12th in this one. I guess it’s time me http://to age up to 50-54.

Anyway, slots didn’t roll down much. Most went in the top 5. I believe my AG rolled down the furthest and it got to 10th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Solid race bro.
And you saved some money so ........
Anyway, sorry- I know you probably wanted to go but sounds like you had a good race either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT bike is completely feasible. Probably the best road course on the circuit. I’ve done the full and will go for 70.3 worlds.

The run is super flat, fast, and full of spectators. The swim is choppy. The bike is hilly (you riding up the alps) and can be scary downhill.

Haven’t booked anything yet but for the full I remember that it was the most expensive race I’ve ever been to (flying from chicago + shipping the bike etc).

For the jetlag I do exactly what slowman said. 1 day per hour difference. Works great for me but I know it requires a lot of time off work.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from a training perspective? would you recommend doing some decent training in choppy waters? and obviously practice descending. Im from Ontario, Canada and we don't exactly have the same geography.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes absolutely you wanna practice / simulate race conditions as much as possible. I don’t have any hills in chicago and train almost 100% of my time on the computrainer as of now. Will definitely work on my handling skills with the roadies this summer :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:
Yes absolutely you wanna practice / simulate race conditions as much as possible. I don’t have any hills in chicago and train almost 100% of my time on the computrainer as of now. Will definitely work on my handling skills with the roadies this summer :)

The downhills are where you will need work. The hills are so long that you can climb to your ability at the time. Strong is key, as I remember one being 10k long, 3300 feet. The descents are very treacherous and high speed with double switchbacks possible on narrow roads compared to the US. Find a place to work on descending and you'll be glad you did.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what gear ratio would you suggest?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HudsonTriBro wrote:
what gear ratio would you suggest?

That's a very loaded question dependent on your ability. I remember having a cassette that I probably only used for that race as the climbs are quite long and often have sections of a pretty high grade. Switchbacks during the climb also scrub off speed, so better to go in with plenty of options should you bog down.
Quote Reply

Prev Next