Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My Hematocrit is 41. [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
46 years old, with a 47, and I'm very slow. So it doesn't matter :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For future reference, your trained hgb vs your untrained hgb should be lower and it’s what one should expect. It isn’t that you have less hgb. You probably have more total hgb. However, one of the major adaptations to training is an increased blood volume.

Hgb is measured in terms of concentration. (slightly more hgb)/(much more blood volume) = lower hgb test values.

There is a bit of risk in taking iron supplements if you don’t need it. There’s not a whole lot of ways for your body to get rid of iron and the major method is through the loss of rbcs. Either through bleeding or internal rbc destruction and clearance. Males are more likely to overdose on iron and if taken at high enough levels can cause all sorts of problems. Your ferritin levels along with your complete blood count test will let you know of your iron storage state. Iron supplementation without indications that you have low iron to try to boost hgb is usually not recommended and/or effective.

Altitude training is a legal method but that only lasts for a few days to a week or two. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote stringcheese

But what I keep coming back to is... the top end of normal is faster.[/quote]

No it's not. It's potentially faster.

Just bc your hematocrit is 41 doesn't mean you're going to be faster at 44.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 47 and have to get my bloodwork done monthly. With several years I can tell you mine varies anywhere from 42-48%. Yours maybe 41 but that doesn't mean next time it won't be higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember right it’s normal to have a lower number when you’re more in shape because you have a higher blood volume. So it’s not actually that surprising.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am a little younger than you but not by much
my Hematocrit has been around 38 for the past few years
i feel fine and still podium once in a while
for me, it is what it is. its not really in my control so i wont worry about it
Quote Reply

Prev Next