Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley
Quote | Reply
Never have been as happy with a second place as I was on Saturday. I went into the race stating that my plan was to swim with Ryf, bike with Ryf and then try to out run her. It went to plan until the last few miles of the run where she showed her amazing fitness and just the pure habit of winning. It was an honor to race with her and to be pushed and push her throughout the day.

I will do my best to answer any questions you many have. I will say at the beginning here I did not have any source of power on the bike during this race so I have no idea. Looking forward to being a more active member of SlowTwitch here. I apologize in advance for my newbie mistakes here!

Ask away friends!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Jocelynmccauley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Such an amazing race, congratulations!!

Do you train with power and just race by feel? And adding to that, do you do any "feel" based workouts to really get a grip on how raceday should go down?

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Jocelynmccauley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'll get the not so fun question out of the way.

How did the "pass" go down? Did you try and go with her, did you have nothing left, did you just put blinders on?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off congratulations on an amazing race. I was rooting for you as I'm sure others here were!

1. What does your typical week look like, as far as training?
2. What is your bike setup? Have you had any wind tunnel testing?
3. Go-to post workout meal?
4. How will you focus your training for Kona, assuming you're going?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on a great race and breaking through as a contender!

Did Ryf say anything to you during the race? What did she say afterwards?

What are your long term goals as a pro?

Favorite quote?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When she passed you on the run did you try to pickup to run with her or did you decide to protect 2nd place and keep going at your pace?

Awesome race I loved watching it online!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race Jocelyn, I would routing for you!!

What would be the top 3 things you would give an age grouper in terms of advice?

Good luck the rest of the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you had no power (I donā€™t mean it that way ;)...did you race by HR or feel or both?
Congrats on a great racešŸ„ˆ!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No questions, just wanted to express my congratulations on such a well executed race. You made it seriously exciting watching the live coverage! Glad to hear you will be around ST, we need more voices like yours around here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Allow me to say thank you for replying to my thread about how well will Daniela Ryf do:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._string=ryf#p6911191

You gained another fan here!

Thanks!

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
Such an amazing race, congratulations!!

Do you train with power and just race by feel? And adding to that, do you do any "feel" based workouts to really get a grip on how raceday should go down?

I generally train with power and heart rate and notice perceived exertion. The last 3 years I've only raced on HR, I may start to race on power again but am waiting for Rotor to come out with their spider based PM to have power back on my racing bike.

Personally there is an emotional component to seeing power and HR and how they are or aren't lining up on the day. I can handle that emotionally during training but in a race when emotions are already at the limit I don't want to throw in a "oh shoot my HR is 4 beats higher then it should be with this power" and then start thinking, "well maybe today won't end up going well."

Leading into this race I did a couple bikes without power not out of choice and found my self smashed more after those then others. Wrote a post leading up to the race about power etc:

"11. Data is both motivating as well as a governor on what you think is possible. There are times when we need to have metrics and markers and times when we need to let go of what we THINK is possible and blow that out of the water by not looking at data and reigning ourselves in because ā€œthose watts are too high,ā€ or ā€œthat pace is too fast.ā€
I think this is something Iā€™m still learning about and playing with. This build to IMTX Iā€™ve had a couple of sessions without power or pace for various reasons and I felt more smashed after those then when Iā€™ve had data. We need to make sure data is our slave not the other way around. "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jocelyn!

Congratulations on a truly well-executed race plan - I only had access to the Ironman Tracker and getting those splits was thrilling! I was sharing your position with coworkers (most with no knowledge of triathlon) and they were excited for you too - they kept asking me "Is she still winning??" from across the room.

Did you have any awareness of Ryf pulling you in on the run? It felt like it happened pretty fast without a ton of time for reaction for you. Or, did you know and did you try to react?

Truly looking forward to Kona and your future racing!!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! Great race :)

How do you like the Morf bars? What drove you to originally try them out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your race day nutrition?
Your race was very impressive. Fun to follow as you pushed Ryf through a long day.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! what a day you had!! It ever slip into your head that you had her?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Maybe I'll get the not so fun question out of the way.

How did the "pass" go down? Did you try and go with her, did you have nothing left, did you just put blinders on?

Ha! Ripping the bandaid! I actually stay about 1-1.5 miles away from where the pass went down and will be doing my Kona prep here so it'll be great motivation to run by that spot on all my runs :)

I got pretty stinking dehydrated on the BIKE and was really feeling it that last loop of the run. I picked it up a few steps but there was no staying with her. I have passed out at this race before and had that weighing on the back of my mind. You'd think I'd know where that limit is, but during a race I think that part of my brain is shut off. I also don't have much experience in racing head to head which was part of the reason to race here. Learned some, got some motivation, and moving forward to figure out how to not have that happen again. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your bike fit is one of the best I have seen on the women's side of things. You looked really aero, which I first noticed when I saw pictures of you racing in New Zealand. How has your fit changed from when you started? How hard was it to get used to riding with your hands up? You raced an awesome race and I was so hoping you would pull off the win. Congrats on 2nd.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
First off congratulations on an amazing race. I was rooting for you as I'm sure others here were!

1. What does your typical week look like, as far as training?
2. What is your bike setup? Have you had any wind tunnel testing?
3. Go-to post workout meal?
4. How will you focus your training for Kona, assuming you're going?

Thanks! and Thanks for the cheers!

1. I do some swimming, biking, and running ;) Generally I S,B,R most days. My training has changed up a ton since December when I hired a new coach (Bevan McKinnon of Fitter out of NZ). If I had to say a "normal" week it would be Monday- Hard swim, hard bike (hill reps, threshold set etc), and hard run (1k+ reps), T-recovery all three or maybe still hard swim, W-Hard swim, hard bike (sweet spot, low cadence strength), short FAST run efforts, T- recovery of all three, F- S, Long ride, short brick, Sat- swim, Long run, recovery ride, Sun- Day of REST- Nothing triathlon every Sunday. Avg around 25 hours/week
2. QR PR6, Rotor Aldhu cranks 155, MorfTech aerobars, Oversized pulley, 54/42 front and 11/28 back, 1 bottle on frame-1 aero-1 rear cage. Let me know if you have more specifics about this. I have done testing with Jim from ERO in California and plan to do some more this summer before Kona as I feel there are areas we can still improve!
3. In the summer, smoothie with F2C VEGAN protein powder, banana, and cashew milk.
In the winter- warm apple sauce with the protein and half a banana cut up.
Post race- whatever I can lay my hands on! (That is also gluten and dairy free)
4. I will be doing my main 2 weeks in The Woodlands, TX (where IMTX is). This is where I have done my build each time. In terms of training, I'm sure it will look similar to what we've done for IMNZ and IMTX. I think we need to increase my bike power a bit more and will work on that this summer. Honestly, this is why I hire a coach, I can outsource my thinking capacity about training! I'm an executer, tell me what to do and I'll just go do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Congratulations on a great race and breaking through as a contender!

Did Ryf say anything to you during the race? What did she say afterwards?

What are your long term goals as a pro?

Favorite quote?

Scott

Thanks! It's fun to be able to express the fitness I have!

She didn't say anything during the race. When I passed her on the bike I said "come on Daniela." This is who I am as a competitor, I would want something said to me so I say it to my competitors, it's not me trying to play any mind game etc. At the awards she said in her speech, "sorry, Rinny has done that to me so I know how it feels! I didn't want to say anything when I passed you because I thought anything I said would be taken as "she's a b$^%&" She said congrats and that I pushed her that whole race. Very nice woman and look forward to racing her again. Much respect for her!

long term goals- This is going to sound corny... Become the best athlete I can be against the best in the world. I don't know what that will be which is fun and exciting!

Oh favorite quote changes quiet often, follow me on Insta and you'll see way to much pensiveness (look back at the 12 days before IMTX for an example) Currently though:

"We stand at the crossroads, each minute, each hour, each day, making choices. We choose the thoughts we allow ourselves to think, the passions we allow ourselves to feel, and the actions we allow ourselves to perform. Each choice is made in the context of whatever value system we have selected to govern our lives. In selecting that value system, we are, in a very real way, making the most important choice we will ever make."
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [trm08b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trm08b wrote:
When she passed you on the run did you try to pickup to run with her or did you decide to protect 2nd place and keep going at your pace?

Awesome race I loved watching it online!

Kind of answered previously- I tried for a couple steps but kept thinking about passing out on this course in 2016. I look forward to a head to head again. I just don't have a lot of experience in head to head racing. Maybe I'll find a couple run races this summer to just grab a bit more experience.

Thanks for following it!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [climonge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
climonge wrote:
Great race Jocelyn, I would routing for you!!

What would be the top 3 things you would give an age grouper in terms of advice?

Good luck the rest of the year.

Thanks!

1. Enjoy the journey, that's why you are doing this! You enjoy it! So make sure you are acting that way and if you stop enjoying it, find something else to do!
2. Get a coach and actually do what they say and how they say it. There are so many good ones out there.
3. Stop making excuses, extreme ownership.
4. Buy things from all my sponsors ;)

I know those are very broad and general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
She didn't say anything during the race. When I passed her on the bike I said "come on Daniela." This is who I am as a competitor, I would want something said to me so I say it to my competitors, it's not me trying to play any mind game etc. At the awards she said in her speech, "sorry, Rinny has done that to me so I know how it feels! I didn't want to say anything when I passed you because I thought anything I said would be taken as "she's a b$^%&" She said congrats and that I pushed her that whole race. Very nice woman and look forward to racing her again. Much respect for her!

I wanted to ask you if you might, instead of slaying a dragon poked a bear, since she said in a recent interview she still plays that Rinny passing her in Kona 2014 in head almost every run for motivation. Maybe it'll be you from now on passing her on the bike.....

Same tactic in Kona? Would awesome to see and I say that as a Swiss resident and Ryf fan since 2014 when she passed me flying in Switzerland 70.3. By the way, that is a race she seems to do every year, in case some more head to heads would be fun for you.....
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [Blmgtnbkr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blmgtnbkr wrote:
Since you had no power (I donā€™t mean it that way ;)...did you race by HR or feel or both?
Congrats on a great racešŸ„ˆ!

Ha! Love it! and to answer you with a joke back, I raced by "Ryf." It's an awesome new metric out there that is a philosophy to stay 12-20m back from Ryf's wheel.

Seriously though, I race by HR and have for the past 3 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swim13 wrote:
Hi Jocelyn!

Congratulations on a truly well-executed race plan - I only had access to the Ironman Tracker and getting those splits was thrilling! I was sharing your position with coworkers (most with no knowledge of triathlon) and they were excited for you too - they kept asking me "Is she still winning??" from across the room.

Did you have any awareness of Ryf pulling you in on the run? It felt like it happened pretty fast without a ton of time for reaction for you. Or, did you know and did you try to react?

Truly looking forward to Kona and your future racing!!

Ha! I LOVE it! Thanks for following along and getting your coworkers into it!

I was getting splits pretty frequently. So many spectators out there on that course. I heard 1:45 and then all the sudden I heard :30. Apparently her friend had a sign that had a message from Sutton that said something to the affect "it's time to go now." She said the F-bomb and then went. Guess it turned her into angry bird! I've said in a couple other posts, I don't have much head to head experience racing triathlon and need more of that. It sounds like an excuse, I don't mean it like that, I've seen the value of experience throughout my short career. I came to IMTX because she announced she was coming. I hope to get some more head to head competition of any kind in future races.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me Anything- IMTX 2nd place Jocelyn McCauley [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CyclingClyde wrote:
Congratulations! Great race :)

How do you like the Morf bars? What drove you to originally try them out?

LOVE them. Wouldn't ride them if I didn't as there's no money with that relationship. So, that's a little bit of a story.

I come to TX to train a lot. Frank (developer/owner) lived in Spring (basically The Woodlands where IMTX is). He talked to me about the bars in 2017 before Kona. He sent me a pair after Kona and I tried them. I rode them outside with gloves on and just couldn't work them correctly with big gloves on and so said "I don't like them and don't want to race on them." We kept in contact through the year as he was a fixer and wanted to know why I didn't love them so he could fix that and get more people to love them. He asked for me to come to his house this January while I was in TX for training. I went, we talked for HOURS and he convinced me to try them out. I rode them commuting around the woodlands as I didn't have a car. After 3-4 days of riding them around I started to LOVE them. We put them on my bike, did some testing that showed a major advantage. Went to ERO did more testing and have been on them since.

Unfortunately Frank passed away in a crash. The company is continuing and they just let me know they should be opening up the store again in the next few weeks. Sorry for the long answer!
Quote Reply

Prev Next