Any good?

Reading New Iberia Blues. JL burke

Next a dark redemption. Sherez

No comment so far. Just started it
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How cycling can save the world.

Got through the introduction so far and a few pages of the first chapter last night. So far so good, but i have a feeling it can get repetitive fairly quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Debt, the first 5000 years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing good.

Last three books have been duds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neal Asher's "Agent Cormac" books. Decent post-cyberpunk space opera sci-fi.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“What Makes A Wine Worth Drinking - In Praise of the Sublime”

It’s a bit twee. I’m hoping it gets better.

“Bringing down the Colonel- A sex scandal of the gilded age and the powerless woman who took on Washington“

I’m about halfway through this one and it’s pretty good. In the late 1800s an unmarried woman sued a man for breach of promise, which was unheard of at that time.

Just finished “The Little Paris Bookshop”. A nice bit of fiction in between all the non-fiction I usually read.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patrick Deneen, "Why Liberalism Failed" Because it is the water we all swim in it is difficult to understand the pitfalls. We can't go back and liberalism has achieved many great things but we need a big fix. It helped me understand why Trump is in power, why the yellow jackets etc.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading a bunch of David Baldacci books right now. Loved the Amos Decker series. Just finished the last Will Robbie book - End Game and enjoyed it. Starting the Camel Club series now and enjoying it so far.

Baldacci has a way with drawing me in with how he creates characters that I seem to care about. I am not a fan of his conspiracy or hit man setups, but I seem to like the characters and relationships that he writes.

I spend too much time in the car so I like to be entertained during my commute listening to audio books.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SaaS licenses, data privacy policies, medical device distribution agreements. They are dull as ditchwater but a lot of money flows through them.

Other than that, just read the first chapter of All the Light We Cannot See for the third time. It’s good but I keep getting derailed by the aforementioned bullshit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do audiobooks count?

If so I just wrapped up "The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the fire that saved America". Fantastic book..especially if you reside in or know the inland pacific northwest well (N. Idaho/eastern WA/western Montana). Primary focus is the fire of 1910, founding of the forest service, and the characters around it. Can't recommend it enough.

Prior to that was Duff McKagen's (GNR bass player) "How to be a Man" which was nice and short thankfully because there was not a whole lot there (I bought it because I had a long flight, sounded slightly interesting, and he did something really cool for my best buddy years back so I don't mind supporting). There were 2 chapters that were awesome though. One focused on his top 100 books (where I learned about The Big Burn) and the other on top 100 albums. Some really good suggestions in those two chapters.

Currently working on David Goggins "Can't Hurt Me". It's just kinda alright I suppose but I already knew a decent amount of his background via his JRE interview so it's not so novel to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fancy Nancy and Peppa Pig. Every. Freaking. Night...
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Do audiobooks count?

If so I just wrapped up "The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the fire that saved America". Fantastic book..especially if you reside in or know the inland pacific northwest well (N. Idaho/eastern WA/western Montana). Primary focus is the fire of 1910, founding of the forest service, and the characters around it. Can't recommend it enough.

Prior to that was Duff McKagen's (GNR bass player) "How to be a Man" which was nice and short thankfully because there was not a whole lot there (I bought it because I had a long flight, sounded slightly interesting, and he did something really cool for my best buddy years back so I don't mind supporting). There were 2 chapters that were awesome though. One focused on his top 100 books (where I learned about The Big Burn) and the other on top 100 albums. Some really good suggestions in those two chapters.

Currently working on David Goggins "Can't Hurt Me". It's just kinda alright I suppose but I already knew a decent amount of his background via his JRE interview so it's not so novel to me.

I recently downloaded the Goggins book and will start reading it in the next few days. It peaked my interest because I just finished reading "Living with a Seal" by Jesse Itzler. Itzler's book is a light read and I really enjoyed the book.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
Breath by Tim Winton was also a good book

So far, the best surf centric book I’ve read.

D'Kid's library has both Barbarian Days and Breath, so I'll be picking them up in the near future, thanks

Reading it now

Didn't realize his story starts in the early 60s, around the time of Gidget/Gidget Goes Hawaiian and the Beach Party movies. Having seen plenty of them, and over & over, I can picture almost exactly where he's talking about

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff.

Jordan Peele is making it into a HBO show this summer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance; while others find it fascinating, I only think it reminds me of why I left Missouri forever.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Murderbot series.

Very fun and captivating, but the books are short so I'm burning through them too fast and will have to find something new soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Any good?

Reading New Iberia Blues. JL burke

Next a dark redemption. Sherez

No comment so far. Just started it

In the last two months - three books all on Formula One - The Mechanic by Marc Priestley, How to Build a Race Car by Adrian Newey and Total Competition with Ross Brawn/Adam Parr. All quite good and gave fascinating insight to the behind the scenes of F1. Just started a book on herbal medicine, another on vegan recipes and also browsing my Haynes manual for my 1984 Kawasaki KZ750. I actually don't read much fiction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". I'm not sure its for me.

Just about to start "The Fifth Season" by N. K. Jemisin.

Recently finished: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck. It was the first "self-help" type book I found helpful and enlightening. I actually liked it.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've recently read:

"Life 3.0" by MIT's Max Tegmark about the rise of AI. I thought that it was excellent and thought provoking. It explores short, medium, and (very) long term effects of AI on society, earth, and even our galaxy and universe. It is mildly technical, but generally written for the lay person.

"Brief Answers To Big Questions" by Stephen Hawking. This was his last book, published posthumously by his estate. I found it very disappointing. It's a "popular" book, lacking any real scientific detail. But beyond that, it appears to be cobbled together quickly from some of his various prior writings to capitalize on the notoriety of his death. Entire paragraphs are repeated unintentionally throughout the book, and it looks like it never received even a "Microsoft Word" level of copy editing.

"Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David Griffiths. I've been reviewing basic QM again as part of my dabbling in the void between QM and General Relativity. (I originally studied both topics formally in school long ago.) IMO, it's an excellent treatment of QM -- the math is not for the faint of heart, but the narrative is good on its own.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Apr 30, 19 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Pound Sand wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
Do audiobooks count?

I recently downloaded the Goggins book and will start reading it in the next few days. It peaked my interest because I just finished reading "Living with a Seal" by Jesse Itzler. Itzler's book is a light read and I really enjoyed the book.

Good to know. Will check it out.

Here's a suggestion for you..more of a business leadership book but I actually enjoyed it (I find most b.leadership books to be boring and repetitive): Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALS Lead by Jocko Willink. Each chapter has a real life SEAL example to reinforce the message.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". I'm not sure its for me.

Just about to start "The Fifth Season" by N. K. Jemisin.

Recently finished: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck. It was the first "self-help" type book I found helpful and enlightening. I actually liked it.

+1

Liked it as well and throughout every day since I find myself thinking "he/she has too many fucks to give" multiple times.

The title throws people though - for those interested the message is not around not giving a fuck but rather prioritizing what things should get your fucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trying to keep up

Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
SaaS licenses, data privacy policies, medical device distribution agreements. They are dull as ditchwater but a lot of money flows through them.

Other than that, just read the first chapter of All the Light We Cannot See for the third time. It’s good but I keep getting derailed by the aforementioned bullshit.

So good - stick with it.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
trying to keep up

Dowloading the audio book now. I think I'm about to feel like an even bigger dummy...
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Griffiths is great for E&M and QM. Not all agree but I think that Amit Goswami's QM is also a good intro. It hits a few other topics and approaches certain concepts from a different angle.

And just for fun you might look into counterfactual quantum computing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next